Ribble and Douglas

stillwater blue

Reaction score
It appears that I might be spending the start of 2015 up North in my home town of Wigan.

I've never fished the Ribble before so I have no idea what to expect. I fancy a go trotting for grayling and chub, having never fished the river before what kind of tackle is necessary, are we talking big floats and stepped rods or light floats and match rods? As for the barbel fishing is it heavy leaders/feeders and 2lb rods?

Coming from Wigan I've always fancied fishing the Douglas. Does anybody have any experience of the river? I Believe it was hit by a fish kill a few years back, has it bounced back?

Thanks everybody

Paul Morley

Reaction score
There is a lot of info on the net regarding Ribble fishing, if you're float fishing then nothing spectacular will be needed if the river's in normal condition; you may want to step up your gear a bit and use a decent size float. Often it's a bit slow after xmas anyway. The main difference is its rocky and snaggy bottom, so fish accordingly. Barbel wise, you're right, but don't be under-gunned for the reasons already stated! Go and have a walk of the stretch and maybe speak to an angler or ask at Ted Carter's in Preston, you'll soon be in the picture.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Cheers for the heads up Paul.

I've probably got the gear I need but I'm restricted to what I can take back to Wigan as I'm flying, I don't mind buying terminal tackle but I'd rather not have to buy another rod.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Sorry not to be able to give you any positive feedback on the Dougie, but I can't find any myself!
All answers have been the same - don't bother - it's a waste of time - the discharges, pollution, littering, tipping, fish kills, etc have ruined this river over the years and there may be small stretches of it where a club has taken over the fishing and cleaned-up/improved their stretch but the they are few and far-between, jealously guarded, and subject to the detrimental effects of neighbours.
I'm looking into some possibilities upstream - outside of Wigan - but am struggling to find who owns the rights - don't get excited though - we're talking of small roach and perch - the cumulative effects of years of fish-kills has led to the disappearance of any stock of sizeable fish.

If there are any Dougie anglers out there who dispute my summary - please let's hear from you - either on the forum or PM me!

Tight Lines! :thumbs:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Sorry not to be able to give you any positive feedback on the Dougie, but I can't find any myself!
All answers have been the same - don't bother - it's a waste of time - the discharges, pollution, littering, tipping, fish kills, etc have ruined this river over the years and there may be small stretches of it where a club has taken over the fishing and cleaned-up/improved their stretch but the they are few and far-between, jealously guarded, and subject to the detrimental effects of neighbours.
I'm looking into some possibilities upstream - outside of Wigan - but am struggling to find who owns the rights - don't get excited though - we're talking of small roach and perch - the cumulative effects of years of fish-kills has led to the disappearance of any stock of sizeable fish.

If there are any Dougie anglers out there who dispute my summary - please let's hear from you - either on the forum or PM me!

Tight Lines! :thumbs:

Disappointingly I've heard pretty much the same thing.

Being honest the size of fish or indeed species doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'd just like to catch something from my 'home' river.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
The person to speak to about the Douglas is Tigger it's his home river and he is very good at extracting fish from it I would suggest you PM him tell him I sent you!

The bad one

Reaction score
The person to speak to about the Douglas is Tigger it's his home river and he is very good at extracting fish from it I would suggest you PM him tell him I sent you!
Just don't try to fish the club length he bailiffs. Hes quite good at banjoing :D:D

dead peg

Reaction score
It appears that I might be spending the start of 2015 up North in my home town of Wigan.

I've never fished the Ribble before so I have no idea what to expect. I fancy a go trotting for grayling and chub, having never fished the river before what kind of tackle is necessary, are we talking big floats and stepped rods or light floats and match rods? As for the barbel fishing is it heavy leaders/feeders and 2lb rods?

Coming from Wigan I've always fancied fishing the Douglas. Does anybody have any experience of the river? I Believe it was hit by a fish kill a few years back, has it bounced back?

Thanks everybody

Reviving an old thread but did you find any more info mate ? I used to talk to a lad in a local tackle shop who fished around Sollom & Rufford on the Dougie.
He used to pick the odd Chub out on bread roving a few swims , he'd find them on the tip rod then fish for them on the stick float .
He said it fishes a lot better in the Winter ,
Let us know how you get on , going to give it go myself this year :)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread but did you find any more info mate ? I used to talk to a lad in a local tackle shop who fished around Sollom & Rufford on the Dougie.
He used to pick the odd Chub out on bread roving a few swims , he'd find them on the tip rod then fish for them on the stick float .
He said it fishes a lot better in the Winter ,
Let us know how you get on , going to give it go myself this year :)

I couldn't really find anything positive about the Dougie, it's a real shame.