Any Tench waters left?

laguna

Reaction score
Seemingly a bit thin on the ground these days, anyone know of any dedicated tench waters within say an hour or so drive from my neck of the woods?

PM if preferred, Carlton looked promising as did Nidd hall but alas tis no more...

Cheers

laguna

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the joining arrangements are Chris but your question jogged a memory from some years ago of Nostell Priory, seems there are still some big tench...

Welcome to Wakefield Angling Club

Thanks Steve I fished all those estate lakes at Nostel some years ago but a bit big for my liking unless prebaited, I'd prefer a smaller venue if possible but will bare in mind it holds a '10' as does one we have in mind :)
Were going to Strensal next week (would have gone yesterday but then realised it was a bank holiday and remember after that royal wedding business never to fish again on a bank holiday - every bloke in the country was fishing that day), hopefully we pull a few tench out but as its also a mixed fishery we most likely will catch anything that swims that likes the look of our red groundbait and red hook baits and red undies... :D
The largest Pike so far this year came out at 31.5 lbs. Carp into there 20s. Tench to 10lbs Bream to 10lbs Crusians to 3.5 lbs

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about your area Chris but down in the south we seem to still have some decent Tench fishing left, Horseshoe, Wraysbury, Frensham Great Pong, Papercourt etc., but the once prolific Blenheim Lake is a mere shadow of its former self, as to is Sywell so I'm told.

cg74

Reaction score
Chris, I've absolutely no experience of tench fishing t'up north, my most northerly tench coming from a couple miles north west of Brum.

Mark Brailsford was always singing the praises of Wigan DAA waters, especially Birkacre Big Lodge, maybe worth a look?

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

I'm not sure about your area Chris but down in the south we seem to still have some decent Tench fishing left, Horseshoe, Wraysbury, Frensham Great Pong, Papercourt etc., but the once prolific Blenheim Lake is a mere shadow of its former self, as to is Sywell so I'm told.

I'd say all the waters you've mentioned are shadows of their former selves. :(

dalesman

Reaction score
Woodlands at Carlton Miniott, Thirsk... The original lake holds a good head of Tench up to 6or 7lb. The first lake on the right in the wood.

Rest of the complex is the match arena and mainly carp

---------- Post added at 05:10 ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 ----------

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Chris, as you probably know, Carlton towers Estate Lake is now a Syndicate water. But the pond at the other side of the road, (approx one and a half acres), is day ticket, Tench to 8lbs. Access is through the cricket club gate and park at the back of the pond, not overfished. Hope this helps..........

GH Fisheries - Carlton Tench Lake

sam vimes

Reaction score
Chris, as you probably know, Carlton towers Estate Lake is now a Syndicate water. But the pond at the other side of the road, (approx one and a half acres), is day ticket, Tench to 8lbs. Access is through the cricket club gate and park at the back of the pond, not overfished. Hope this helps..........

GH Fisheries - Carlton Tench Lake

Merv,
I'm not sure what the latest is, but a few weeks back Gaz decided to knock the day tickets on the head and make the tench lake part of the syndicate. Too many people taking the mick with rubbish and unruly behaviour. He even had someone do a runner rather than pay. Whether he's reversed the decision, in the last week or two, I don't know. I've not seen anything to suggest it might be the case.

barbelboi

Reaction score

In fact most of the Colne Valley pits hold some very decent tench Peter, also some local estate lakes and of course the Yately and Frimley pits among others.............

PS I also believe that Blenheim is a waste of time now.

law

Reaction score
I thought I'd hit gold when the guy who runs my local shop recommended a just tench lake. It supposedly had fish from 3lb, well into double figures. All female too to eliminate any small ones. And only tench. Nothing else.

Was pretty gutted to find that there was tench from a few ounces in there too. Hundreds of them. And loads of crucians and orfe too. Yet when the owner came round, he still claimed there was only big females in there.

He also had a right moan that I'd got there at 6:50 when it opened at 7. Despite there being no gates or signs.

It's Newdigate Fisheries. On the same trip, I reported 3 dead carp well into the upper 20's, if not 30's to the owner. He didn't care one bit.

Avoid it!

laguna

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all your replies and PM's guys! :w

I have a couple of weeks left to bag a decent tinca before we start in earnest at the grayling then its chub and pike at first frost...
I'm uncertain about Carlton as I left it to a mate to ring and book a few weeks back and apparently he was informed it had gone syndicate only which is a bloody shame as I was looking forward to that - it looks like its the same people that own wellham? I've fished Wellham before (got roped in) and it wasn't a pleasant experience, my immediate peg was literally full of spawning carp all day and all night long packed up early morning due to excessive liners and no sleep whatsoever. That was the 'second time spawn' that season apparently.

Wasn't too keen bivvying up in the camo Nash "hotel" either which reminded me of when on manoeuvres based in Germany during the cold war.
Also that electric gate scared the hell out me!

We found another nice little tranquil fishery that held some promise called Travant Farm (East Keswick near Harewood House, Leeds) consisting of a small lake (mainly stunted rudd, dace, bream and a few small tench) which we fished a couple of weeks ago (one of our lads lost a tench at the net) but we all caught fish and it was a good day. Also there is a larger lake split into two by central pipes and a walkway which is reputed to hold tench to 5lb and some low double figure carp. The place is owned by a nice chap and his family who charges £6 for a day ticket and double if you want to do overnight fishing... just turn up. The larger lake is only about an acre but has some lovely lilly beds and reeds along the margins, good wooden pegs and manicured walkways. We fished it last week but no show for the tench just lots of big roach and rudd 1- 1.5lb, skimmers to about 2lb and a few dace and perch. Friday last some mates fished it again and caught some pasties but no tench...

Anyhow many thanks for all your suggestions at least I have something to go on, cheers everyone :w

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Sam...Chris, update on Carlton 'Tench' pond, it HAS been closed as a day ticket water due to rubbish left by 'anglers', and, people doing a runner without paying.

At the moment it would seem that it HAS NOT been absorbed into the Syndicate water, therefore it is to be hoped there will be a change of mind at a later date.

laguna

Reaction score
Third attempt and still tenchless :(
For those of my friends that don't know what a tench is, your not alone I've forgotten what they look like so they're a bit hard to describe! consolation is I didn't catch any skimmers either

*fishing today at Strensal