Greys distance plus spod rod.

murphyboy69

Reaction score
Hey,

Bit of a strange question for anyone who owns one of these rods. I've bought one of these rods which has turned up today and i've noticed when feeling along the blank it feels considerably rough. Is this normal as i've never felt a rod that feels like this before?

terry m

Reaction score
I have this exact rod and the finish does feel a little rough to the touch, so do not panic.

It is a tough blank, I have had mine for a couple of years and it has taken some real pounding whilst performing faultlessly. It pairs perfectly with a Daiwa Emblem Spod reel.

Good luck.

cg74

Reaction score
I know it's a slightly different rod but it's the same with my Greys Spod Plus rod and like Terry's, it has performed faultlessly.

terry m

Reaction score
I was using both the Greys Distance Spod and the equivalent Marker rod at the weekend. I double checked and the Distance Marker has an identical finish.

murphyboy69

Reaction score
Hahaha, I've actually found out what the reason is behind the rough finish, well actually my mate told me what he thinks because he has a few savage gear rods for river fishing which all have a rough finish and it is supposedly to stop water retention on the rod. Whether he's talking a load of bull i dont know but im just happy its normal and doesn't mean i have a dodgy blank lol.

terry m

Reaction score
Hahaha, I've actually found out what the reason is behind the rough finish, well actually my mate told me what he thinks because he has a few savage gear rods for river fishing which all have a rough finish and it is supposedly to stop water retention on the rod. Whether he's talking a load of bull i dont know but im just happy its normal and doesn't mean i have a dodgy blank lol.

Not convinced with that explanation, but rest assured your blank is not dodgy.

:eek:mg:

nicepix

Reaction score
No, I think he's spot on. A smooth surface is perfect for droplets of water to cling to. The irregular surface makes it harder for them to form.

terry m

Reaction score
Disagree NP.

Firstly, why would there be any consideration for such a feature on a spod rod? What could possibly be the benefit?

Secondly, a rougher surface has a greater surface area allowing greater quantities of water to sit.

Thirdly, smooth surfaces dispel water far better than rough surfaces, heck out any new car dealership, not to many of them will be roughed up.

As I said, not convinced.