midges

wabbity

Reaction score
Any one have any advice on midges? If i get bitten by one it swells up like a golfball, i have one bite between my eyes and the family keep taking the michael, my legs are all lumps and bumps.

There must be something to distract them? I tried one of the sprays, oh dear, it was like ringing the dinner gong/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gifthey came from everywhere to eat me alive.

wabbit

S

Shrek

I was up in Scotland for a week earlier in the year and had great success using "Skin So Soft" from Avon, coupled with anti-histamines for my hayfever I was completely unaffected by them.

Others in the group were using Jungle-this and Crocodile-that and were constantly waving their arms around to ward off the moving black cloud that was molesting them.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Avon 'Skin so soft' is the way to go Wabbity its cheap, it smells nice and it works a treat. Any Avon rep will order it for you, my wife is very prone to midge bites and uses it all the time whilst she is gardening and wouldn't be without it.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Graham, I have heard lots of good reports on this product. I wonder why, if it's so good and better than most or all of the proprietary products on the market, that no company has isolated the active ingredient and marketed that. Surely it would take the repellent market by storm.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't like any repellant that has a perfume, after all why try to contaminate your bait?

My old fishing buddy, sadly no longer with us, used to smoke his pipe when fishing and was never bothered by midges or mozzies.

Me, I prefer Marlboro as they do the same for me.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>wabbity wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Any one have any advice on midges? If i get bitten by one it swells up like a golfball</blockquote>

Ive never seen a midge the size of a golf ball, they have really tiny wings and must drop out of the sky once the've swelled./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

I used to use Skin so soft when I was on exercise but my Platoon Corporal would always know where I was cos he could smell me a mile away. I had to stop using it.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Malt vinegar rubbed around cuffs, headwear and neck line.

Smell like at chip and used by the military, surprised trev (100M bronze) wasn't told about it.

Boots own Jungle Formula Tropical. Forget crocodile.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Them curly incence sticks from outdoor shops are good if you are sat in one place.

Windy

Reaction score
Eat Marmite.

Seriously.

It alters / adds to the chemicals in your sweat in a way they don't like. End of problem..... unless you hate marmite. In which case welcome to the bitten minority.....

wabbity

Reaction score
i love marmite, but wont they have to bite you first to know you taste horrid?

I dont mind smelling of a chip shop but wont it worry the fish?/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I cant wear avon stuff it brings me out in a rash.

looks like i will have to learn how to smoke a pipe/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

wabbit

wabbity

Reaction score
ed, i am really sorry mate, but i wouldnt be seen dead in a midge net, i already get stared at as if i am an alien, that would be the final straw./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

wabbit

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Marmite to ward off mosquitoes is true. Even better is Vegemite which is similar to Marmite and made in Australia.

Personally I prefer Vegemite as it seems to taste less salty than Marmite. It'a available at Asda priced about the same as Marmite.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Wobbly Face (As Per Ed) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Malt vinegar rubbed around cuffs, headwear and neck line.

Smell like at chip and used by the military, surprised trev (100M bronze) wasn't told about it.

Boots own Jungle Formula Tropical. Forget crocodile.</blockquote>
Blimey, if skin cream gives you away, thensmelling like Harry Ramsden's on a Friday night is going to get you sussed every time. Unless you're on the same kind of manoeuvresthat the Monk goes on, onFriday nights.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

A good morning /evening wash down withcarbolic soap. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifThat and the horrible 'Fairy' household soap (big green blocks) was all my mother used to buy /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gifPosh people used to use Sunlight.

Doesn't doyour sex/social life much good though, I was in my early 20's before I realised why I was always alone...that and terribly sweaty feet. Thinking back it could have been just the sweaty feet.

My old grandad used to use Fairy soap on his hair to keep it in place. When it dried his hair was like armour plating

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My wife is allergic to Avon make up, deodorants and such but for some reason she isn't allergic to Skin so Soft so don't dismiss it on that basis Wabbity, I suggest you try it before passing judgement and if you find it unsuitable I'm sure someone will take it off your hands.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
ooh ooh Ill have it. I like the smell, so does one of the Corporals I married. He made me marry him one night in the block. I got to choose the dress and stuff.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifhe didnt i was covered in SSS. I had made a sarcastic remark " its not like were married " or words to that effect and as a punishment I had to dress up and get married to him. All good character building stuff and it did our morale good too to see that he also had a funny side. I suppose nowadays it would be called bullying and he would have been sacked for inappropriate behaviour.