Which is best from a Tin

magicone

Reaction score
I know this has been around a lap or two, but.

We've all been using Sweetcorn for years and I've had some good success with it too.

I use the Tin variety from Supermarkets whoever has a special offer for JGG or whichever brand and to be honest not taken notice what they have in the tins or not.

Today, the tins come with Sweetcorn in a choice of liquids. Non of this is added or this is added, or in this and that, and so on.

So which is best to look for from the shelves. In brine, in salt water, no added salt, no added sugar, added salt or added sugar etc etc.

Or should the fluid be drained and add salt or sugar etc. for good results.

Any clues/tips

Thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
I really couldn't care what the corn is in when fishing. I tend to decant into a bait box before stepping out of my front door. I tip a tin into a sieve and run the cold water tap over it before draining the excess water off. That way it leaves your hands a little less sticky when you use it.

Once upon a long ago, I'd buy Green Giant for fishing. Since Lidl arrived, I've never used anything more expensive than their 35p Freshona sweetcorn. I understand that frozen sweetcorn is even better economy. However, I've yet to try any frozen corn that I was entirely happy with.

daji

Reaction score
I use any old tinned sweetcorn and haven't taken much notice of the 'added' or 'not added' contents. when i open the tin i expect to smell sweetcorn and favour tinned over frozen due to the juice which i add to the groundbait mix as an additional attractant.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use whatever is cheapest, Pick out the best grains for hook baits then liquidise the lot along with some frozen corn and a little bottled water (try to avoid the stuff from the tap as it smells like a swimming pool) to loosen it and make the quantity I think I will need. I use this slop on it's own as a cloudy feed or I use it to mix my groundbait, due to the starch it also makes a great binder for your method mix or to soak a few pellets to mould round a feeder.

Any slop which is left over goes in the freezer for next time.

It really is a versatile bait and very underrated,

symonh2000

Reaction score
I always buy the cheapest. The grains tend to be bigger and a bit tougher, so are better for attracting fish and staying on the hook.

I usually get 3 tins from the 99p shop. I can't say I have noticed much difference between Brine, sugar water or salted water etc in terms of how well it works.

nicepix

Reaction score
Same as Sam. Freshona from Lidl is cheap and has the right texture to stay on the hook. Anything I don't use goes into the freezer to use as groundbait. Frozen and thawed corn is too soft for the hook.

The only thing I do differently is to use the juice in my groundbait mix and I sprinkle a sachet of vanilla flavouring over the corn and stir it in.

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
I have never used the Lidl sweetcorn but guess I might now.

I have always use the JGG and stuck with it as some cheaper ones I tried some years back were soft and didn't stop on the hook.

JGG do one called crisp sweet corn, with this I have found some are crisper but some are not so wonder if it was worth paying the pennies more for.

I have found corn good on some fisheries and not so good on others. Possibly the not so good ones are where the fish have got used to it.

I hate to see people throw their bait in the water at the end of a session, my corn goes into my ground bait for next time.

When making my ground bait I usually tip the corn juice in the ground bait as an additive along with the hemp oil etc.

flightliner

Reaction score
Same as Sam. Freshona from Lidl is cheap and has the right texture to stay on the hook. Anything I don't use goes into the freezer to use as groundbait. Frozen and thawed corn is too soft for the hook.

The only thing I do differently is to use the juice in my groundbait mix and I sprinkle a sachet of vanilla flavouring over the corn and stir it in.

Lidl for me too, had so many massive catches on it this season, good stuff and cheap too.Am back in harness later this week after a five week enforced layoff.
Truth be known if I dont catch much here on in till the winter I,m more than happy with my sweetcorn results.
i,ve been placing it directly into my groundbait but if I was on a river any juices would be cancelled out before it was very far below the surface so as said why suffer sticky fingers, just rinse it before use.

dead peg

Reaction score
Same here .. I usually get Freshona (Lidl) or B&M small black tins .. both have ring pulls and are good for quick sessions
My mate bought a few frozen bags from Iceland on offer .. 800g for 50p but he's got a bait fridge

magicone

Reaction score
OK,

Thanks guys.

From your response, it does not really matter whatever the liquid within the tin is. More the quality of the corn.

Must be honest, I have tried Sainsbury's basic's and Morrison's basic. But the mistake it seems I'm making, is that what's left over I freeze em for another day and mix with some of the frozen bag of corn's from such as Morrison's.

So i will as suggested use the frozen corn's for ground bait etc. And try 'Freshona'.

Thanks again.

sagalout

Reaction score
Sainsburys basics is now 30p for a 198g tin
Typical sainsburys, 20% price hike. They do a basics curry sauce that used to be 4p and it went up to 9p (125%) in on price rise.

I will have to do a special trip to lodls because it is on a back road in Torquay, but I buy a case at a time so it will probably be worth it.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) LIDL'S freshona for hook bait and frozen corn for mixing in with my ground bait, I find the freshona (A+)as a hook bait and all for a modest price.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.

The bad one

Reaction score
When I was doing a lot of breaming and baiting up from a boat we'd use several Kg of corn a session as bulk feed. So I'd use the frozen Kg bags for this and a quality tin for hookers. John West I found out through a friend was the best for tinned hookers, always full grains, but not cheap if you were buying it. But (buying it) really didn't matter as the friend I was fishing with worked at JW's in Liverpool as a one of the product buyers :) And as Sweetcorn company sales reps were always on the phone to him trying to push product, he'd tell them to send a couple of cases for testing. ;)

How many companies got orders based on there "fishing tests" I really couldn't say but my guess would be a few :D
Just every now and again he'd get the catering Kg tins as well and which was even cheaper than buying K bags as it was for free ;)

:( Alas my my friend now fishes where everything is free and every fish he catches is a bigger fish than the last one.

So I now have to pay for my corn again and looking for the perfect hooker corn. To this end I've found the best to date is corn on the cob boiled in water with a little salt for 20-30 minutes and stripped from the husk with a very sharp knife. The full kernel stick on the hook like the proverbial to a blanket. By cooking your own you can infuse both other colours and flavours into the corn as it boils if you like, but I don’t, preferring to use it as it comes. The liquor in the water becomes what’s known as Corn Steeped Liquor (CSL), which is a by-product of the cornstarch making industry. Effectively it’s trade waste btw that costs them a lot of money to get rid off unless they can sell it for something else.

theartist

Reaction score
I add a dash of salt to any brand to give it an edge although that's probably all in the head. Tinned luck is far more important. :)

David Dalton

Reaction score
I always buy sweetcorn with sugar and salt added, as I beleive that both of these make the corn more attractive to fish. Don't carpers add rock salt to their baits sometimes for much the same reason?

As others have said, left over corn can be frozen for future use. Each time you freeze/thaw it, it becomes softer, which may be an advantage for some fish such as skimmers which prefer a softer bait. It will also help any dyes or flavours you may have added to penetrate the corn grains.