Rev Caffyn on the one show

The bad one

Reaction score
In a nutshell the Rev said he could find no evidence of the Magna Carta being repelled by act of parliament, re passage of craft and fishes. Strange that Windy found it. Should have bleedin looked for it shouldn’t he, rather than rely on faith much as his cloth does!

greenie62

Reaction score
What on earth was Mark Lloyd on about a winter close season ?

I'd suggest he was on about the Game Fishing Close Season but his statement made it sound like an all-angling Close Season - for someone representing ATr/Fish Legal - this was a poor 'mistake'.

thecrow

Reaction score
Whats he mean anglers have rivers for 6 months and paddlers have them for 6 months?

Anglers pay for access for 9 months of the year, winter can be the best time on some rivers and Lloyd wants canoes to have access to them during the winter, bloody hopeless :mad:

This was a perfect chance for the Angling Trust to get some good PR, shame it wasn't taken.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
This was a perfect chance for the Angling Trust to get some good PR, shame it wasn't taken.

Well it was taken, of course, that's what ML was doing on TV, bringing the issue to the attention of the greater public. What he has no control over of course is the very selective editing which takes place to compress what was probably an hour of film into a couple of minutes of sound-bite, all of which is totally watered down to make easy watching for the couch potatoes of course... Well done ATr for keeping the issue at the forefront!

thecrow

Reaction score
Well it was taken, of course, that's what ML was doing on TV, bringing the issue to the attention of the greater public. What he has no control over of course is the very selective editing which takes place to compress what was probably an hour of film into a couple of minutes of sound-bite, all of which is totally watered down to make easy watching for the couch potatoes of course... Well done ATr for keeping the issue at the forefront!

Well I am sorry Geoff but I don't think he did, why should he say that anglers should have 6 months and paddlers have 6 months during winter, I know anglers that don't go near a river until winter, should they put up with illegal paddlers? or was that a Freudian slip showing that those that fish for adipose fins are more influential within the trust?

Nothing was said about VAAs and the BCU not wanting to negotiate them, thankfully there was brief mention of the BCU promoting illegal paddling buts that's all there was, nothing said about paddlers not wanting to pay, yes I understand that things get edited but the BBC hardly have a good record when it comes to anglers and Mr Lloyd should have been aware of that.

Other than anglers and paddlers the only others that are remotely interested in this battle are landowners that could loose money, the average Joe public couldn't give a toss, I believe that in the end a compromise will be reached but a compromise that costs the average angler.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing was said about VAAs and the BCU not wanting to negotiate them, thankfully there was brief mention of the BCU promoting illegal paddling buts that's all there was, nothing said about paddlers not wanting to pay, yes I understand that things get edited but the BBC hardly have a good record when it comes to anglers and Mr Lloyd should have been aware of that.

Even if Mark Lloyd was aware of the BBC's traditional position regarding angling, then he is/was still not privy to the editing process undertaken by an organisation who have often decried angling, and in fact a few years back actually discounted the famous World Champion Angler for the title of SPOTY Award, despite having received the most votes.

It is a fact that the majority of Game Anglers are actually members of the S&TA instead of the Angling Trust (ATr.), so I doubt if Mr Lloyd, or anyone else in the ATr., gives any more credence to fly fishers over other method anglers.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
and in fact a few years back actually discounted the famous World Champion Angler for the title of SPOTY Award, despite having received the most votes.

Never knew that - Bob Nudd discounted on the basis that the Angling Times campaigned for him

A

alan whittington

Im sorry but im totally convinced that the BBC are basically anti-angling as I cant say how many times that angling has been blamed for killing swans with lead shot,right to the present day,even though you cant buy it in tackle shops in the UK and the vast majority of anglers don't/wouldn't use it,don't blame the shooting lobby though,that blast more shot on one duck shoot than an angling club could drop in a season.:doh:

thecrow

Reaction score
I think they are totally anti angling, if it isn't cute and cuddly they don't want to know, I would like to see them cuddle a fox or a hare :eek: might find out looks are not all they might seem.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
No amount of selective editing can disguise the fact that the CE of the AT thinks there is a closed season throughout the winter.
Talk of "lycra clad" canoeists just makes the guy come across as a bit of a snob. What's their choice of clothing got to do with anything?
Bring on the court case.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Well I am sorry Geoff but I don't think he did, why should he say that anglers should have 6 months and paddlers have 6 months during winter, I know anglers that don't go near a river until winter, should they put up with illegal paddlers? or was that a Freudian slip showing that those that fish for adipose fins are more influential within the trust?

Other than anglers and paddlers the only others that are remotely interested in this battle are landowners that could loose money, the average Joe public couldn't give a toss, I believe that in the end a compromise will be reached but a compromise that costs the average angler.

Everyone I ever met who tried to put a point across on a TV interview complained of selective editing and/or out of context quotes. It's happened to me too - and it's very clear to me that's what happened here. These people are making a TV entertainment show, not a political one. Other than that, I agree the likely outcome will be as you describe - because I'm a cynic too. But thankfully we do have the ATr out there who are at least trying to do something positive. Without them we have zilch.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The program puts the issue on the table for everyday folk that are not anglers or canoeists - i am sure 95% of society would have no idea of the issues involved. On a superficial level that proportion may now be down to 90%. The larger the issue becomes the more likely that it is resolved and that police etc take it seriously.

My concern is that it came across as an issue affecting only game fisheries. Curious how the angling interests of those who pay the most for their fishing have the sharpest shoulders when it comes to protecting their interests. The ATr spokesman should have made it clear the issue affects all rivers across the country. But you never know what was edited out by the BBC.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Who,s side are the general non fishing public going to be on now they are being made aware of the problem. . Anglers or the canoeists? It will need some clever PR.

thecrow

Reaction score
I doubt they will be on either side Mark, in todays world if it doesn't affect them they don't want to know, there will be some anti angling nutters that will hope the paddlers have a case I suppose but they were always there before this battle began.

Strange that nothing was mentioned about the previous court case brought by a paddler that was dropped after he took advice.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Strange that nothing was mentioned about the previous court case brought by a paddler that was dropped after he took advice

. . . again, that was probably mentioned by Lloyd but was edited out;

You have to remember that in order to get 4 or 5 minutes of "broadcastable" coverage then the actual interview would have probably taken about an hour, and then edited to portray the BBC's pre-chosen view, which we all know is never pro-angling.

I would imagine that Mark Lloyd was actually referring to a VAA made on certain parts of the River Itchen where the paddlers do have some access during the Trout Close Season. However, that part was in all probability edited out as well . . . . . . . . I mean, "aunty" cannot have anything positive about angling broadcast, can they?

Where I would offer some advice to the Angling Trust is for them to maintain a degree of control over what is broadcast, and that is by way of a post edited, and pre-broadcast viewing, and maintaining their rights by agreed contract with the BBC.

thecrow

Reaction score
All this talk about stuff being edited out makes no difference, what went out and was seen by however many watchers (although I suspect a lot went to put the kettle on when angling was mentioned) was what the BBC decided to put out, other than those that were there nobody knows what the trust did or did not say.

There were very important points such as the dropped court case ( did that have anything to do with this letter being sent?) that were not mentioned on screen, IMO the trust should have ensured that they were mentioned instead of standing there with a fly rod waffling about the 6 month closed season and how paddlers could use rivers for that time as there is more water in the rivers, if its not legal I don't want them where I fish winter/closed season or not.