Rice Steamers

mick b

Reaction score
Yep Ive used em for years......potatoes, unless from the chippy are yuck!

The German made electric ones work bril but the inner pot dents if you drop it.:eek:mg:

I use a cheapo plastic Chinese made steamer that goes inside the microwave with the plates underneath to warm at the same time.
Think it cost around £8 online inc P&P and its been going five days a week for over six years so hardly owes me anything.

Ive done chickpeas, various lentils and beans and of course rice, all to perfection :D

Hope this helps.

nicepix

Reaction score
Thanks but I'm looking for an electric one. I saw a 1 litre model for around £12 in Lidl and thought about the possibilities for using it to cook hemp and wheat.

mick b

Reaction score
Thanks but I'm looking for an electric one. I saw a 1 litre model for around £12 in Lidl and thought about the possibilities for using it to cook hemp and wheat.

I read that and thought blimey Im off to LIDL pdq......then realised your post was from Froggy land :eek:mg:

Should work a treat and at 12 whatevers :confused: so you wont break the bank.

A bit of pre-soaking, say 10-15mins before you steam it would make a decent enough job for a fish Im sure.

Let us know how you get on.

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Mick,
Re your comment:
I read that and thought blimey Im off to LIDL pdq......then realised your post was from Froggy land

They had them in my local Lidl a fortnight ago - iirc £12.99 - might be some left in your local - perhaps even at 'clearance price'.
Good luck!

symonh2000

Reaction score
We have a cookworks one that we use for rice.

The only problem I can see is that it only cuts out when there is hardly any liquid left, so hemp might end up a bit dry.

I can imagine it would easily overcook it as well beforehand as it would take ages for all of the water to boil off. :eek:

nicepix

Reaction score
We have a cookworks one that we use for rice.

The only problem I can see is that it only cuts out when there is hardly any liquid left, so hemp might end up a bit dry.

I can imagine it would easily overcook it as well beforehand as it would take ages for all of the water to boil off. :eek:

Thanks for that info'. If that is how they work then I'll be fine. I can leave it on for an hour then switch off and let it rest overnight. I had thought that they might be on a 15 minute timer which would be no good.

:)

symonh2000

Reaction score
No they are not on a timer, as when we cook Brown rice it takes longer than white even for the same amount.

They have a thermostat inside, and trip out when they get hot due to the water inside having evaporated.

nicepix

Reaction score
Bought one today. They had sold out at my nearest two stores, but I called in at one I was passing while out mole trapping and they had a few left.

It has a 1 litre capacity and two settings;- one to get the thing up to boiling and a warming setting. While proving it this afternoon I noticed that it automatically clicked onto the lower setting once it had got up to steam. I had half a litre of hemp soaking ready for a boil up today and so that has gone into the steamer along with an equal amount of water and it is simmering away nicely. I'll leave it on for a half hour or so and then switch it off and see what the result is once it has cooled down.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Update; The steamer worked a treat. It didn't switch to the lower setting as it had when proving the pan initially. That must have been caused by my opening the lid to look at what was going on. I left it boiling for about 40 minutes, switched down to the 'Warm' setting and left it for an hour before turning it off. All the seeds are split and ready for use on Sunday.

It will do around 600 - 700 cl of hemp at a time, just over a pint in old money. Thirteen quid well spent I reckon :)

mick b

Reaction score
Hi greenie
Since your post Lidl post I have visited 3 different stores and none had any steamers left :eek:mg:

Now I have to endure the expat moletrapper crowing on about how good his recent purchase is performing:mad:

Not the ideal way to start my weekend!

I suppose I will just have to go fishing.....:D

:D

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi greenie
Since your post Lidl post I have visited 3 different stores and none had any steamers left :eek:mg:
Now I have to endure the expat moletrapper crowing on about how good his recent purchase is performing:mad:
...... I suppose I will just have to go fishing.....:D:D

Sorry Mick,
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
All my fault - making you go fishing - how heartless of me! Next thing you'll blame me for turning you to drink! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:
Keep your eyes on Aldi - they'll be doing them next!
Tight Lines :w:w:w

nicepix

Reaction score
Sorry Mick,
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
All my fault - making you go fishing - how heartless of me! Next thing you'll blame me for turning you to drink! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:
Keep your eyes on Aldi - they'll be doing them next!
Tight Lines :w:w:w

Don't beat yourself up Greenie. Its not your fault. If he was a bright as he thinks he is and with all that claimed steamer experience he ought to have had one long ago :w:w :D