Line counter

davethesax

Reaction score
I’m contemplating buying a line counter to assist in loading fixed reel spools with backing line before loading main line. Has anyone an opinion on the Berkley modal or any other make.

greenie62

Reaction score
... a line counter to assist in loading fixed reel spools .....
Hi Dave,
I used to use a Shakespeare Digital line counter (very similar to the Berkeley counter) for loading Sea-fishing Multipliers from Bulk spools and it was OK for that. It cost £16 about 15 yrs ago!
The problem occurred with FS reels since the way the counter mounts is designed with the display face-up for top-mounted multipliers - but would be face down for FS reels. This means you have to guess when to stop, turn the whole assenmbly over, read the display, turn it back, untangle the loose line, and repeat until filled to the desired level - or fed-up whichever occurs first!

I note the Berkeley counter has the same design attribute - for muliplier use!

In the end I found it easier to work out the average retrieve per crank of the handle, then just count these - errors were within an acceptable range!;)

I never used it for its original designed purpose of 'Controlled Depth Fishing' of a night time (it has an illuminated display)!
Good Luck!

davethesax

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
I used to use a Shakespeare Digital line counter (very similar to the Berkeley counter) for loading Sea-fishing Multipliers from Bulk spools and it was OK for that. It cost £16 about 15 yrs ago!
The problem occurred with FS reels since the way the counter mounts is designed with the display face-up for top-mounted multipliers - but would be face down for FS reels. This means you have to guess when to stop, turn the whole assenmbly over, read the display, turn it back, untangle the loose line, and repeat until filled to the desired level - or fed-up whichever occurs first!

I note the Berkeley counter has the same design attribute - for muliplier use!

In the end I found it easier to work out the average retrieve per crank of the handle, then just count these - errors were within an acceptable range!;)

I never used it for its original designed purpose of 'Controlled Depth Fishing' of a night time (it has an illuminated display)!
Good Luck!

Thanks greenie62 for you comment and advice. I may be making a complete arse of myself here but I would like to run a few things past you to hear what you think.
I must admit I’ve only seen pictures of line counters and none of them show them mounted or give much information. I assume the line runs over a pulley so turning a calibrated meter.
As they fit the rod opposite to the position of F/S reels would it not be possible just to turn the lot over?
I haven’t yet tried the following.
Sitting in the living room using just the butt section to make things easier and so as not to take the missus’s eye out, fit f/s reel as normal then to cancel the effect of line lifting off the pulley due to the displacement caused by the oscillating bail arm fit the counter between first and second ring, then by turning the lot over i.e. meter facing up hopefully one could see the count though of course you will be turning the handle the opposite way.
Comments from any other FM members most welcome.

greenie62

Reaction score
Couple of things Dave,
- I use a small telescopic rod for winding line on so as not to poke missus, dog, grandkids, etc - the whippy tip section keeps a constant tension during the winding-on process.
- winding 'backwards' is a pain but if you really want to do this - make sure you use the anti-reverse to stop you accidently winding the wrong way and getting yourself in a tangle!

I still find the counting cranks the easiest, you can turn over the rod&counter assembly the minimum number of times to avoid tangles. the only other prob is putting the counter between the butt and next-up ring can move it out of easy focussing distance - depending on your eyesight!

Have fun - and remember the only accurate way to add the right amount of backing line is to load it 'back-to-front - your 'main-line' on the empty spool first, then backing line 'til you've filled the spool comfortably - then wind the lot onto the other :eek: spare spool - job's a good un!

The only real snag with this method of perfectly filling the spool with mainline + backing (you of course have the spare spool in your back pocket) - is remembering not to put any more twist in the line! Try It! :eek:mg:

Have fun!

davethesax

Reaction score
Couple of things Dave,
- I use a small telescopic rod for winding line on so as not to poke missus, dog, grandkids, etc - the whippy tip section keeps a constant tension during the winding-on process.
- winding 'backwards' is a pain but if you really want to do this - make sure you use the anti-reverse to stop you accidently winding the wrong way and getting yourself in a tangle!

I still find the counting cranks the easiest, you can turn over the rod&counter assembly the minimum number of times to avoid tangles. the only other prob is putting the counter between the butt and next-up ring can move it out of easy focussing distance - depending on your eyesight!

Have fun - and remember the only accurate way to add the right amount of backing line is to load it 'back-to-front - your 'main-line' on the empty spool first, then backing line 'til you've filled the spool comfortably - then wind the lot onto the other :eek: spare spool - job's a good un!

The only real snag with this method of perfectly filling the spool with mainline + backing (you of course have the spare spool in your back pocket) - is remembering not to put any more twist in the line! Try It! :eek:mg:

Have fun!

Thank you greenie62 your comments and advice has been most helpful and are much appreciated. I do like the idea of using a tip section for keeping tension.:)

Tight Lines, or should that be Semi- Tight Lines ;)