Silver linings and Ill winds

rubio

Reaction score
Whilst reading various threads on the forum lately I've noticed a recurrent theme. How little rain we've had and how low and clear the rivers are. Here in East Anglia we kinda expect to get the best of the sunshine and we got no hills to draw down rain. Usually we just get the little that's left after the clouds have dumped all over Wales and the NW. No complaints there as I like it warm. But our rivers don't have a great pace to them as a rule. Other than tidal stretches my local river only gets going for a few weeks in winter. It generally needs a harsh frost followed by a solid downpour to clear the weedgrowth which is prolific in a rural farming area. Nitrate leakage and all that.
Anyway to my point. Poor fishing conditions on our rivers because of low flow might have a delayed benefit. The absence of winter last year and exceptional warmth this month seem to have produced spectacular spawning success. I have no proof but I do sense there are 2 cohorts of fry in amongst the reeds and lilies. Last years hatchlings will have been less prone to being washed out to sea and may therefore shoal more strongly with greater chances of mutual survival. This could lead to a boost in stock levels. Who knows what this winter will bring. Maybe any perceived benefit I imagine will be wiped out by 3 months of torrents of chocolate coloured water tearing the streams apart.
What have you observed? And what do feel about more, but smaller fish in our catches for a few years?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Certainly been a dry spell Rubio. Mild all round for the last 12 months I reckon and your probably right about there being more small fry. However, I think these things even out over time, one bad year, one good year etc. I think the old fish must be pretty used to these fluctuations in conditions.

greenie62

Reaction score
And what do feel about more, but smaller fish in our catches for a few years?

A spokesman for the Pike & Perch lobby said: "Sounds good to me!" :D

theartist

Reaction score
Having fished all over the southern half of the country this summer i can confirm that east anglia and the south east need some good rain pretty soon.

Stocks of 8oz fish seem to be everywhere including the big rivers and my local Gade is full of good roach for the first time in years. Rivers like the Trent and Thames are throwing up good bags of silvers and the Severn is choc full of tiny dace which would have been fry last year.

I believe the rains last winter colouring everything up made it harder for cormorants. Hence the good fish stocks, all of which could be undone in one cold winter if the lakes freeze.

That chocolate torrent has its benefits and i'd sooner see that for a few weeks that a big freeze up.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Two warm summers in a row probably helps (after some cold and wet summers previous) but last winter with its extreme rain and warm would be a difficult one to evaluate as good or bad. Warm = good but floods = bad. Maybe the added weedgrowth during low flows helps protect against cormorants. The winter floods and turbidity would also help with spoiling it for those ugly birds, but would be difficult for fry in many rivers unless they are allowed to flood over the bank.

rubio

Reaction score
Will just have to make the best of it either way unless anyone on here has a secret weather machine. There are some I hear of that can more or less guarantee rain just by stepping outside the front door.
The bonus for predators in more fry being available sounds about right. I've been getting more perch of a pound plus amongst the roach and dace than I can ever recall. And they are a beautiful fish when in top condition. Also had 4 jacks to about 5lb on size 18's so there are plenty of them about an' all.
I hear whispers that more big chub are falling to pike deadbaits. Chub are true opportunists and will happily feast on fresh fish. Aren't Barbel fond of a minnow or two?