Mid life problems

iain t

Reaction score
Over the last 20 old years or so all ive bought was line,hooks and the odd bit of kit now and then for myself. Rods were about 25 plus years old and the reels some a bit newer and some a lot older. I never saw the point of getting the latest "IT" gear as i was happy with what id got and it caught fish.
But since turning 50 in January ive never spent so much on gear before. I've ended up with 4 new Drennan rods, a 7ft, 3g to 10g Japanese import LRF spinning rod. There so light and don't fold in half with a fish on, also am not leaving half the cork handles on the bank now. A couple of nice Daiwa reels, didn't realise how bad my old ones were till i tried these. Thought all reels were meant to feel grindy. A very nice and shiny Okumo Sheffield centre pin to replace my old Rimfly . Loads of new floats/waggler/feeders etc. After this am still looking for new toys. The chap in the shop rubs his hands when i pull up. Glad the wife hasn't a clue what ive paid out . Is this normal when you reach 50 ? or do i have to visit the head doctor ?

rubio

Reaction score
I find the only way to justify spending the money is to go fishing more often.
Surely ya missus will understand the logic of it

theartist

Reaction score
Look on the bright side you have half a century of wisdom from which to make the right purchases.

Remember the rubbish we all bought when we got our first pay cheques back in the day.

Terry D

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. Approaching retirement and knowing I won't be having such a high income to get by on, I feel I need to get some quality gear now which will last for the 'full duration' of my retirement. Shopping's never been so good these days!

iain t

Reaction score
Ok am a addict to all the nice shiny new stuff. God that was hard to admit :). I fish 3 or 4 times a week all year round, so the kit isn't going to sit about gathering dust.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
You might do well to kick off a support group as you're far from alone.

Mortgage payment or new Drennan float rod? Get yer excuses in early.

The worst aspect is going in to the tackle shop for a packet of swivels and coming out with a pole. It's the retail version of "I'll just stop for one" after work. One starts out with good intentions but, at 4am, you're table dancing to The Beatles' She Loves You (this was, errrr, a friend of mine....)

As I always think - you're here for a good time, not a long time.

There's always someone worse off than yourself so if you've anything you want to get rid of, I'm interested :D

All the best with the therapy....

Phil.

theartist

Reaction score
You might do well to kick off a support group as you're far from alone.

Mortgage payment or new Drennan float rod? Get yer excuses in early.

Phil.

Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll by a Drennan float road and end up homeless.

Think that's how the saying goes :D

nicepix

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. Approaching retirement and knowing I won't be having such a high income to get by on, I feel I need to get some quality gear now which will last for the 'full duration' of my retirement. Shopping's never been so good these days!

I was in a similar position. I was planning on retiring to France and knew that the tackle I had would probably not be suitable for the fishing available over there. And, I was aware that the sort of tackle I needed would not be avalable in French tackle shops. So I sold off my shooting stuff, added a fair bit of my eBay slush fund and went on a buying rampage to assemble an outfit to see me through my retirement.

If I die I just hope that the wife gets as much for the tackle as she thinks I paid for it :wh

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
The problem lies in the fact the more you learn about fishing, the greater the need for tackle to cover every eventuality. Had to order a new bail arm for my Stradic after it came apart Saturday and realised I don't have an equivalent alternative, Fosters will though:wh;):D:D

iain t

Reaction score
I'm puzzled, how does a centrepin replace a fly reel?:confused:

Cause i could only afford fly rims in the past and to be honest they done me for them for trotting. I haven't had a mortgage for a few years and can now afford a proper trotting reel.

Good to hear others are going though the as phase as well

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
Don't worry about a thing Iain,

Like you I never spent much on tackle, managing to scrape by with a lot of out of date bits and pieces while paying mortgages and building a career.

Then I retired (at fifty) and rebuilt my fishing life, spending what was required to thouroughly enjoy my sport, and yes I told my wife what I paid for it :eek:mg:.......something that she used against me when I divorced her! (but my barrister was an angler and all I lost was my boat :D).

What remains of your fishing life is not a rehearsal, a day spent wishing you had a better reel or rod is a day you will never spend using it!

Oh, and my new wife encourages me to buy whatever tackle I need, she knows how much my sport means to me and genuinely wants me to enjoy it to the max. :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Cause i could only afford fly rims in the past and to be honest they done me for them for trotting. I haven't had a mortgage for a few years and can now afford a proper trotting reel.

Good to hear others are going though the as phase as well

Fair enough, but now I'm left baffled by how you ever managed to trot with a fly reel.:confused:

mick b

Reaction score
Slowly - in the canal - by backwinding! Take your pick! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

Where there is a will there is a way....

My first two seasons of spinning for Pike were completed using a Kraka (for those youngsters reading a Kraka is a very very basic type of centrepin reel) every cast required pulling the line (Damyl or Platil :confused:) off the reel and onto the bank at my feet then casting and hopefully getting all the loose line used up!
Yes it took time but I still caught some Pike.

Also amazing just how many I caught by trailing the spinner as I walked along the tow path.

Now I can spin with a reel that cost more than a new '60's Mini Copper :eek:

(That should read Mini Cooper, sorry John)

Last edited: