illegal fishing (Lincoln)

chrissh

Reaction score
have any of you out there reported illegal fishing and seen anything done about it
I have reported two cases this year
1. a group of 6 fishing out of season and taking pike
2. killing and taking fish
on each case the EA have given me a ref: number but that all they have done
today I have seen a group of 4 gutting and cleaning 20+ fish on the river bank is it worth reporting

thecrow

Reaction score
have any of you out there reported illegal fishing and seen anything done about it
today I have seen a group of 4 gutting and cleaning 20+ fish on the river bank is it worth reporting

In answer to your first sentence, yes and no.

Have you tried phoning the police when its happening quoting the code 116/11? its the home office code foe poaching/fish theft.

C

chefster

Any idea what Nationality they were??

C

chefster

Any idea what Nationality they were?

Each time they have been European
Its getting to the point now ,where the only way to stop them is with vigilante groups!!Theyve taken the ar$e out of this country,jobs wise,economy wise,and now they,re eating all our fish,and nothing is done about it...this country has gone to the dogs,thats for sure!,i,m just glad i,m older now,so i dont have to put up with it,for as long...Gaz

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its getting to the point now ,where the only way to stop them is with vigilante groups!!Theyve taken the ar$e out of this country,jobs wise,economy wise,and now they,re eating all our fish,and nothing is done about it...this country has gone to the dogs,thats for sure!,i,m just glad i,m older now,so i dont have to put up with it,for as long...Gaz

It's a shame we haven't got a 'don't like' button on here as this post would be a prime candidate for it.

Illegal fishing has always gone on, when I was a kid it was low life scum who also set illegal gin traps and dug up bager sets for fights or gypsies and jews fishing for the pot, today it is eastern europeans who are the bad guys. The fact is 99% of them are fine and just want to make a better life for themselves but the minority are giving the majority a bad name.
I object to this casual racism which creeps onto the site every time this subject comes up....and talk of vigilante groups is nothing more than rabble rousing which will only ever have one outcome, someone will get hurt and given that most of the people doing the illegal fishing have got military training my money is on it being one of the vigilantes.
The rest of the post is garbage as well, the economy is in the state it is in because the banks played fast and loose with the markets and the bubble burst as it always has through the history of capitalism and the only reason the immigrant workforce is so successful is because they are willing to do the jobs our own young people will not leave the house for. All the problems of this country are of our own making, blaming others is not going to solve them.

Reaction score
It's a shame we haven't got a 'don't like' button on here as this post would be a prime candidate for it.

Illegal fishing has always gone on, when I was a kid it was low life scum who also set illegal gin traps and dug up bager sets for fights or gypsies and jews fishing for the pot, today it is eastern europeans who are the bad guys. The fact is 99% of them are fine and just want to make a better life for themselves but the minority are giving the majority a bad name.
I object to this casual racism which creeps onto the site every time this subject comes up....and talk of vigilante groups is nothing more than rabble rousing which will only ever have one outcome, someone will get hurt and given that most of the people doing the illegal fishing have got military training my money is on it being one of the vigilantes.
The rest of the post is garbage as well, the economy is in the state it is in because the banks played fast and loose with the markets and the bubble burst as it always has through the history of capitalism and the only reason the immigrant workforce is so successful is because they are willing to do the jobs our own young people will not leave the house for. All the problems of this country are of our own making, blaming others is not going to solve them.

Can all posters on this topic please keep in mind the t &c's of this site. (Which Titus has done).

I appreciate that the illegal catching and killing of fish is an emotive subject. It is important that the police are informed.

"phoning the police when its happening quoting the code 116/11? its the home office code for poaching/fish theft"

"Each time they have been European" - trying to avoid sounding offensive here....but that's a bit broad. I have visited and fished in quite a few Eastern European nations and know. and have seen, the efforts made by the authorites to promote catch and release. These efforts are having effects. However if you are living in abject poverty anywhere in Europe or further abroad it is understandable that catching for the pot will be used. Have no doubt that many migrant workers legally in the UK are living in appalling conditions with little cash for food....in their circumstances what would you do?

Education coupled with enforcement will help......shame the governments never properly fund the EA or the police.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
C

chefster

This would be a candidatefor the dont like for me,i dont agree with you but i,m not going to put you down like you clearly have done to me,for having my opinions...Gazza

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

Have no doubt that many migrant workers legally in the UK are living in appalling conditions with little cash for food....in their circumstances what would you do?
So you,re saying its ok to move to another country and steal then??, And judging by the likes on my post,im not alone in my thinking.....Gazza An old man who was very dear to me,who has sadly now passed away,forgot to renew his licence,and was unfortunate enough to be subject to a licence check,whilst he was fishing on an Easter bank holiday,he was told the matter would be presented ,and he would have to wait and see ,if he was going to be prosecuted,i told him to write a letter ,stating,that he was 70+ years old,forgetful,and a law abiding citizen,and was on a state pension,and a fine for a mistake,which he was very sorry for would be a hardship for him-Guess what,they prosecuted him and fined him £50+costs....absolutely digusting!!!and you wonder why it gets my back up,when i hear stories of illegal fishing and poaching

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
And judging by the likes on my post,im not alone in my thinking.....

In fairness Gazza, both you and Titus have an equal count of "likes", the failure to prosecute poachers (or thieves, which is a more accurate description) is down to the police or E.A. If you forgot to insure your car, regardless of age and circumstances, would you consider yourself exempt from prosecution, I believe that in the case you refer to, the angler could also have had his tackle confiscated, obviously his circumstances were taken into consideration.

Ian

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I cant................ how can anyone know that 99% of them are fine?

That is my experience from living in an area of the country with high levels of employment and a correspondingly high immigrant population.

I regularly come into contact with people of eastern european descent who have made homes for themselves here and are valued members of the community. Many of them have come here to improve their own lot in life and due to their work ethic, willingness to learn and loyalty quickly rise from menial jobs, often in the service sector or on the factory floor, to supervisory positions in the same organisations. Many more have invested their money into small businesses which adds to the general wealth and growth of the area.

There are 'bad un's' in all strata of the population but to berate a whole section of the community for the misdeeds of a minority of it's members is not the answer, it's like saying all football supporters are hooligans when in fact they are only a tiny proportion of the men, women, teenagers, students, doctors, police officers, architects, chefs, builders, baristas etc etc who are football supporters.

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

This would be a candidatefor the dont like for me,i dont agree with you but i,m not going to put you down like you clearly have done to me,for having my opinions...Gazza

The fact that you are free to hold your opinion and I am free to have mine without anyone coming to blows is the very thing which makes this country the great place it is and attracts free thinking hard working people from all over the world.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Titus;1314789[B said:
]That is my experience from living in an area of the country with high levels of employment and a correspondingly high immigrant population.

I regularly come into contact with people of eastern european descent who have made homes for themselves here and are valued members of the community. Many of them have come here to improve their own lot in life and due to their work ethic, willingness to learn and loyalty quickly rise from menial jobs, often in the service sector or on the factory floor, to supervisory positions in the same organisations. Many more have invested their money into small businesses which adds to the general wealth and growth of the area.
[/B]

There are 'bad un's' in all strata of the population but to berate a whole section of the community for the misdeeds of a minority of it's members is not the answer, it's like saying all football supporters are hooligans when in fact they are only a tiny proportion of the men, women, teenagers, students, doctors, police officers, architects, chefs, builders, baristas etc etc who are football supporters.

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

The fact that you are free to hold your opinion and I am free to have mine without anyone coming to blows is the very thing which makes this country the great place it is and attracts free thinking hard working people from all over the world.

I am so glad you come from an area where problems with immigrants are not a problem when it comes to adhering to the laws of this country, my experience in another part of the country is unfortunately completely different and opposite to yours.

You say that in your area there are high levels of immigrants, if they are that high I find it very difficult to understand how you know what 99% of them are like or indeed whether they break the laws in this country.

If I can I would ask a question, if 99% of them are ok how come the Angling Trust are doing so much work to stop poaching and fish theft even going as far as supplying signs in eastern European languages to be erected at fisheries, surely they are not doing this just for any English that may do it but don't read eastern European languages and 1% of immigrants are they?

greenie62

Reaction score
If I can I would ask a question, if 99% of them are ok how come the Angling Trust are doing so much work to stop poaching and fish theft even going as far as supplying signs in eastern European languages to be erected at fisheries, surely they are not doing this just for any English that may do it but don't read eastern European languages and 1% of immigrants are they?

Hi Crow,
Please note that the Atr anti-poaching signage is provided in 5 EE languages PLUS English - so that nobody has an excuse with the "me no understand" routine. See the ATr website here: Building Bridges with Migrant Anglers - The Angling Trust

As I've mentioned before on this forum when anti-immigrant issues arise:
We are ALL immigrants and mongrels in this country - the only thing that distinguishes you is which wave of immigration your forebears arrived in - whether it was hunter-gatherers from the continent, Scandiwegians, Romans, Vikings, Normans, etc. through to modern times.
Even us Welsh have been known to cross-breed with the locals! :eek: - but only the good-looking ones! ;):cool:

Tight Lines!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

They probably are doing it for the 1%.

I'm not suggesting that poaching or removing fish for the pot is acceptable, what I am saying is you can't say all eastern europeans in this country are bad or that all rule breakers are eastern europeans.

How many british born anglers get caught out of season fishing or fishing without a licence? How many match anglers still routinely knock any pike they catch on the head and how many game anglers cull anything without an adipose fin? Would you suggest it was ok to set up vigilante groups to stop them? Of course you wouldn't, but the licence dodger is just as much a thief as the immigrant, I have heard a couple of lads bragging in the tackle shop that they have never bought a licence and as they only ever night fish rivers they have no intention of ever buying one. That is robbing the EA of much needed income and making fools of the likes of me and probably you who have always bought one and on occasions two.
The match angler or game angler who throws a fish up the bank is doing exactly the same as the immigrant who takes a fish for the pot except that the latter is going to get a meal rather than simply waste the fish.

To try and lay the blame for all the woes of the angling world at the feet of the few (and it is probably the same few in each area) immigrants who do the same here as they did at home is blinding yourself to the real problems facing our wild sport, I'm thinking here of over extraction, pollution and habitat degradation to name but three. If you want something to get steamed up about that is where you should be spending your energy, If 'we' don't get those things under control any problems of poaching will be superfluous as there will be nothing left to catch anyway.

nicepix

Reaction score
On a lighter note I noticed that in the illegal immigrant camp in Calais someone has sprayed "There is an otter world" on one of the buildings. So it looks like those conspiracies put abut by the barbel brigade might have been right all along :D

thecrow

Reaction score
They probably are doing it for the 1%.

I'm not suggesting that poaching or removing fish for the pot is acceptable, what I am saying is you can't say all eastern europeans in this country are bad or that all rule breakers are eastern europeans.

How many british born anglers get caught out of season fishing or fishing without a licence? How many match anglers still routinely knock any pike they catch on the head and how many game anglers cull anything without an adipose fin? Would you suggest it was ok to set up vigilante groups to stop them? Of course you wouldn't, but the licence dodger is just as much a thief as the immigrant, I have heard a couple of lads bragging in the tackle shop that they have never bought a licence and as they only ever night fish rivers they have no intention of ever buying one. That is robbing the EA of much needed income and making fools of the likes of me and probably you who have always bought one and on occasions two.
The match angler or game angler who throws a fish up the bank is doing exactly the same as the immigrant who takes a fish for the pot except that the latter is going to get a meal rather than simply waste the fish.

To try and lay the blame for all the woes of the angling world at the feet of the few (and it is probably the same few in each area) immigrants who do the same here as they did at home is blinding yourself to the real problems facing our wild sport, I'm thinking here of over extraction, pollution and habitat degradation to name but three. If you want something to get steamed up about that is where you should be spending your energy, If 'we' don't get those things under control any problems of poaching will be superfluous as there will be nothing left to catch anyway.

If you truly believe that all the EA angling trust and the police are doing is for 1% of eastern Europeans then you really have no idea of what is going on in some parts of this country. Can I suggest that you have a look at a page on facebook called fish poachers uk exposed, its run by Dilip Sarker MBE, do you think what he is doing is for 1%

I haven't seen anyone on here say that all rule breakers are eastern European or that they are all bad it would be daft to think that,

To answer your question of "how many" I have no idea and I would suggest neither do you, how on earth can anyone know that?

I haven't seen anyone blame them "for all the woes of the angling world" just because they did things at home its acceptable for them to carry on doing it here is it? I don't think it is. they are breaking the law, those that have been here for some time know that they are breaking the law but they also know the chances of being caught are slim to none but that ok they did it at home.

Last edited: