Match rods

dalesman

Reaction score
Has the classic 13' match/ float now been replaced on still waters with 9'-10' rods ??

If so what made you switch to a shorter rod.

Last edited:

law

Reaction score
I'll use which ever fits the circumstance.
If I'm under overhanging trees or fishing at short range, I'll use my 10ft jobby.
But longer range and nothing above me, I'll use the longer rod.

rubio

Reaction score
Having spent far too much time tying on new hooklengths and climbing trees to retrieve hooks dangling maggots several feet above water I think your question is very pertinent to me. I used to fish amidst all kinds of obstacles as a kid. Longer rods than a 5ft solid fibreglass wand that could go parabolic when anything more than a pound was on the hook were out of my budget then. Anyway I've tried going to longer rods and fish from different positions than I might otherwise choose. Maybe 10 ft would be the smarter solution,On still water I would always go for the same 13 ft waggler rod we all used before poles came along.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It rather depends on the depth of the stillwater concerned, the range you are fishing and how tight the swim is. On the a more mature local commercials, I don't take a float rod other than my 9/11' combination float rod. However, I know that the depths are unlikely to exceed 5', plenty of the pegs have overhanging trees and I'll rarely have to chuck much more than ten yards. The club/syndicate stillwaters I frequent are far deeper, more open and I'm likely to fish at greater range. The 9/11' rods never even travels to those venues.

I'd say no to your question. However, if you narrowed it to the average commercial stillwater, the answer would probably be yes.

robtherake

Reaction score
I like shorter float rods for close range on stillwaters - maybe 2 to 3 rods out. They're lighter, usually better balanced, more accurate and seem to shorten playing times. The fish usually surface closer to the net, too, which is handy.

I bought a 10ft Pro Performance graphite pro margin match rod (from WMAC) -strongly recommended in a review - ostensibly for the kids, but it's so much fun to use it became my favourite in no time at all. You barely know you're holding it; it's nice and soft in the tip, with a smooth, progressive action that subdues fish of all sizes without drama. I particularly like the short handle - nothing sticking out behind and catching on stuff and easy to pass around the body, should you need to swap hands.

Considering that it only cost about 30 quid, I'd say I've had my money's worth. :)

sagalout

Reaction score
I bought an 11ft pellet waggler for pellet waggler fishing and started using it for all sorts and now I have got rid of the 13ft match and use 2 piece 10, 11 and 12ft rods for all my fishing. I like the balance, short handles and lightness.

Steve2020

Reaction score
I love my 13 foot Abu Garcia power match Rod, I've had it for 12 years or so & it still performs well. I fish mostly open & clear pegs without obstructions so nothing to tangle me up, I'll definitely not be getting rid of it to line the pockets of yet another big tackle manufacturer.