Pulla bungs v winder bungs + internal or external bushes

isaac walton

Reaction score
Hi all,
As the title says I was wondering if anybody had opinions on the bungs and bushes question.
I am talking about margin poles now (I don't know if the type of pole matters)

Many thanks.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's largely a question of preference. Until I bought a new pole a couple of years back, I'd never had a problem with external bushes. I changed over to internals and prefer how neat they are. I haven't noticed any obvious difference in performance, though I must admit that I'm not a very regular pole user.

Puller bungs are generally used to help extracting bonus fish on elastics that tend toward the lighter end of the spectrum. For that reason, they aren't as likely to be used by many on an out and out margin pole, which will usually be fitted with heavier elastics.

line2hand

Reaction score
I tried Pulla bungs on my top kits and hated them, so I drilled holes in the sides and fitted Rolla pullas...which I hated even more! :eek:mg: In fact, I hated them so much I sold my 2 top kits, bought 2 new ones and fitted them with double elastic which I absolutely love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSMkjSPdeoo
In my opinion, and it IS only my opinion, you only need pulla kits when you are match fishing with hollow elastic and need to land the fish quicker. Also tackle companies like them as it makes you spend about £30 that you don't really need to spend!

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Internal bushes need the top kit to be cut back more for the same diameter of elastic so my preference is external. I cut all my top kits and cupping kit back to the same length.

As already stated a pulla kit is only really useful on light elastics to control a bigger fish at the netting stage if you are using 16+ elastics I don't think pulla kits are necessary.

I have used light elastics (4-8 and 6-10 hollows) all summer when fishing for crucians and have managed to land carp over 6lb from swims that are snaggy in the margins due to a pulla kit allowing the fish to be controlled close in.