Bail arm repair or replace?

bleak

Reaction score
I have a little used Diawa 2553msh airbail. The bail arm has a fault which is cutting the line. There is a hairline split just before the roller. Any ideas for something that I can rely on to cover the split and protect the line.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I replaced the bail arms on my Shimano 2500 baitrunners because of a similar sounding fault. The bail arms where £7ish each from Felindre.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you bought it from a shop, take it back and get them to send it back to Daiwa. Otherwise send it yourself enclosing a note explaining the problem. I've sent mine back for bale arm repairs and they always return it within a few days. To get the correct address to send it to call them on
01698355723 they are usually very helpful.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Just had the bail arm on my Stradic replaced by local tackle shop cost £12, took five days from dropping off to collection, have you got a local Diawa stockist Bleak? If so they should be able to do this.

nicepix

Reaction score
The airbail bail arms used by Daiwa are often more to replace than the reel itself cost. And I can't think of a suitable repair that would last.

I am not aware of the Consumer Rights Act in France but a lot of shops offer and stand by their guarantees. Decathalon sell Daiwa reels. I got three last year and even the cheapest has a 2 year guarantee, and as long as you keep the box and receipt and it hasn't been obviously abused they will honour it.

My advice would be to look out for the offers at Lidl and get one of their Crivit reels at €13. Three year guarantee and as good as my cheaper Shimano and Daiwa reels.

john step

Reaction score
The airbail bail arms used by Daiwa are often more to replace than the reel itself cost. And I can't think of a suitable repair that would last.

I am not aware of the Consumer Rights Act in France but a lot of shops offer and stand by their guarantees. Decathalon sell Daiwa reels. I got three last year and even the cheapest has a 2 year guarantee, and as long as you keep the box and receipt and it hasn't been obviously abused they will honour it.

My advice would be to look out for the offers at Lidl and get one of their Crivit reels at €13. Three year guarantee and as good as my cheaper Shimano and Daiwa reels.

Yes. In the Lincoln area there are shops called Boyes who sell acceptable reels like these which probably come from a similar source.
A mate who fishes most days swears by them. His philosophy is that it doesnt matter what reel you buy, even the expensive ones, it will be bail arm that goes first, so a cheaper disposable one will do.

I must say a decent reel feels better but his ideas have some merit.
I broke the tip section of a Daiwa match rod. Daiwa wanted about £70 for a top section of a £90 rod!!