Replacing Landing Net Mesh

pikepro1

Reaction score
Hi all,

The mesh on my net snagged a bramble and has ripped. Just wondering if I could use a replacement mesh from another brand or should it be from the same brand due to fitting etc?

Many thanks!

greenie62

Reaction score
The mesh on my net snagged a bramble and has ripped. Just wondering if I could use a replacement mesh from another brand or should it be from the same brand due to fitting etc?

You'll be lucky,
Did the same with one of my old 'roving' nets recently - thought "Oh Well - it's about time it was replaced with a new 'safe anti-microbial' one" - tried local tackle shops - stunned staff - what for? - cheaper to buy a whole new landing net!
Tried t'Interweb - can't find one in this country. I'll keep digging and let you know if I find one - I'm thinking about a fiver but I dare say the tackle-monger's right! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Depends on the type of net concerned. You can buy replacement mesg for the triangular carp type nets (spreader block and arms type). Provided your net doesn't have outlandishly thick arms, most brands will fit others, provided you buy the right size (36",42", 50" etc).

landing net replacement mesh | eBay

mick b

Reaction score
Hi all,

Many thanks!

That bramble did you a favour.
Just imagine a big fat 20 going through the mesh and back into the water and your line following it :eek:mg:

What we really need is a correctly designed (for fish welfare rather than economical production) rubber mesh net of sufficient depth, mesh size and lifespan to fit the frames we all use.

Perhaps we should petition Peter Drennan to make it for us?
His seems to be the only company that actually makes the tackle we WANT, rather than the others who make it first then try and create a demand.

Id pay £40 for such a net any-day.

john step

Reaction score
Just spent time "quoting" mickb about nets to have it refused...must be my incompetence.......another go........

Last season I bought a rubberised big strong net for piking from I think it was Savage but more than the £40 though.
It folds down onto its own handle( which can be a bit fiddly with cold fingers).

I think it was primarily for boat anglers as the handle is a bit shorter than normal. It was easy to rivet an extension and it is now perfect.(I used a stout rod rest end with a point that can be stuck into the bank for convenience)

I first noticed this type of net in a Bowler video "Catching the impossible".

I have had a couple of 20+ pike in it and it is just the job.

B

binka

I find this replacement mesh thing a bit bizarre.

I looked at this myself a few months ago for a triangular 36" net and found I could buy a whole net complete with arms and spreader block for less than the cost of the mesh.

Nothing cheap or nasty about it either, I would go as far as to say it's better than a popular branded version and less than half the price and you could always just slide the arms and lip chord out to replace with your existing ones if they're some fancy carbon or something.

Agree on the comments about the rubberised nets.

pikepro1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! John, would you be able to go into some more detail about how to extend the handle on the savage gear net please? A friend of mine who exclusively lure fishes from his boat has one and swears by it.

john step

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! John, would you be able to go into some more detail about how to extend the handle on the savage gear net please? A friend of mine who exclusively lure fishes from his boat has one and swears by it.

Easy. Cut the end rubber grip off. You are left looking down the end of the handle which is a tube. Rummage around to find a bank stick that will slide snugly up it. Cut bank stick to desired length leaving adequate length (pointed end) sticking out. Make sure there is enough bank stick inside the net pole to give good /not moving fit. Drill through the handle and bank stick together top and bottom of the fit and rivet. I have extended it by about 2 fee 6 ins but you can see how you like it before cutting the bank stick.
I used one of those hexagonal brown bank sticks that fitted just right.
As you have cut off the rubber grip you can use bicycle handle bar tape or similar for comfort.
I would think an engineer could make up an extension that could clip in and out but I have found this remedy works OK .

Hope this helps. Tight lines

pikepro1

Reaction score
That's great, many thanks. I'll look into that. I saw that the extending Savage Gear handle goes to 180cm but some extra reach would be very handy!