Pigeon Conditioner

sam vimes

Reaction score
Unless you know exactly what's in them, it's impossible to say. Not all pigeon conditioners have the same mix of seeds. There a several different types of pigeon conditioners with different seed mixes and ratios. I doubt what is sold as wild bird seed by different brands or retailers will be exactly the same. There's probably a fair chance that some types of pigeon conditioner and some wild bird feeds will be quite similar.

sam vimes

Reaction score
thanks,

So if they are similar and I already buy this for the birds, could it be used as a particle bait.

thanks again

Possibly, but you need to identify what's in it and either prepare it accordingly or discount its use. Be very careful about peanuts and the like. Their use is often banned by many fisheries and they require fairly careful preparation. The other thing to consider is that your wild bird food is likely to be quite expensive by comparison.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Bung it in the freezer and it'll last indefinitely.
Leave it to fester in a bucket, it'll depend on the temperature. Do a few days session in the hight of summer and you'll soon find a seed mix gets quite ripe. Some like to use festering/fermenting seed mixes that have been left a while, others don't.

laguna

Reaction score
Sam offers some good advice, in particular I would also avoid peanuts due to the potential mould toxins that some carry as well as the fact that they are banned in certain places.
Preparation times vary because you have a whole mixed lot of different seeds/pulses in there so I would suggest if your using it for a spod mix; 48 hours soak times as a minimum followed by 1 hour boil/simmer in salted water. Your best adding the salt towards the end as it tends to draw out the water, salt is necessary if your wishing to vacuum pack instead of freezing, you could also add a bit of sugar to the water for a weak sugar solution (syrup) especially good if you want to ferment it afterwards in a slop bucket.

*Fermented pigeon conditioner has a sour smell which is by no means off-putting to the fish

robtherake

Reaction score
I've had good results using malt extract as an additive; also molasses.

As far as "ripeness" is concerned, too ripe is when you simply can't stand the smell any longer. I've taken a huge cap of mould off the top and used it with good results, but I'm also happy to use it almost straight after it's come off the stove. Both work equally well.

Having said that, I usually freeze it in batches of a pound or so, soon after preparation, and re-freeze if there's any left over after a session. My days of needing huge buckets of of the stuff seem, sadly, to be over.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Good advice so far, I would add though that some conditioners contain white sunflower seeds which float and need skimming off.
The one I use is Red Band and has an aniseed smell and pulses and seeds of varying densitys allowing a bait dropper full to spread a nice carpet in flowing water. If fishing a Stillwater I leave in a bucket of water for a few days so the gluten in the wheat comes out forming a sticky goo which leaves a great cloud column in the water.

Get yourself down to your local seed merchant, they have some great ideas for particle mixes and are a lot cheaper than tackle shops and bait companies.

mick b

Reaction score
In my local seed merchants/emporium they sell all manner of 'wild bird food', whilst in the other day I noticed the 14kg sacks of pigeon conditioner worked out at 78p a pound.

I wasnt looking to use it for bait, just to feed a lame pigeon that has become almost hand tame whilst feeding under the birdtable this summer.

Having shot 1000s during my shooting career I now find myself quite attached to this lonesome birdy :confused:

nicepix

Reaction score
You can buy whole maize grains, milled maize grains, millet, wheat and hemp from animal feed stores quite cheaply.

Milled maize is great for creating a sticky porridge for a seed method mix whilst the whole grains take a lot of boiling and are still as tough as old boots when ready. Ideal fished as 2 or 3 stacked on a hair to deter smaller specie when carp or barbel fishing. You need to drill them to avoid splitting.

If you have a batch that you allow to mature don't use it all at once. Save some in the freezer and add it to your next batch. This will speed up the fermentation and your bait will be ready quicker. A bit like a vinegar mother.

flightliner

Reaction score
Having shot 1000s during my shooting career I now find myself quite attached to this lonesome birdy :confused:

.[/QUOTE]

I used a little conditioner myself the other day ;)

flightliner

Reaction score
-------- as in-----one flew into the path of my car causing me to put it out of its misery by necking it.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
My Dad was a corn Merchant and he made up all different kinds of Pigeon mixes. You have to be careful with pigeon conditioner as some have seeds that will take much longer to soak than others, better soaking for 36 to 48 hours if your not sure whats in the mix.

I have used pigeon food as a bait since i was a kid, it was cheap, (sorry about the pun), in fact, it was free.

If you want a good cheap bait, try Chick Peas. These can be socked and mashed down into any spot mix.

For a hook bait, sock them for 24 hours, bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10 mins max, drain and leave to dry. When dry i put mine in a plastic bag, add my flavour, blow into the bag, twist holding the air in the bag, shake to mix the flavour into the Chick Peas. Let the air out, you can then freeze or use them as they are, but make sure you get all the air out the bag.

I also put some in a jar/ small bait box when dry, add the flavour put on the lid and shake, into the tackle bag and off to the bank.

You can buy Chick peas in a tin from the super markets, Just empty the from the tin and dry, add the flavour as above, less work and still very very cheap bait. Tench, Bream and Carp love them.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Agree with Ray about Chick Peas, I usually put in colour and additives at the soaking stage, they really do suck it in. I generally just use CSL or golden syrup as the 'flavour'. Keep piling it in every time it goes back in the freezer. Very effective in the summer months.

As far as 'pigeon coditioner' goes, Haiths Red Band is by far the best I've ever used.

Have a look at Haiths web site.

Stu