Waterproofing rod bag...

law

Reaction score
I'm getting fed up of the insides of my rod bag getting soaked when it gets rained on, resulting everything inside getting wet too.
The wife doesn't particularly like it all being laid out in the spare room for a few days to dry out.
Whats the best thing to use? Is Fabsil still the stuff to use? Or is there something better out there?

law

Reaction score
That's fine while fishing if it's light rain, but while setting up, walking to and from the swim, water running under the brolly etc

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
Nikwax is pretty good as well.

Their website has a "competition" (just answer some simple questions) where you can get free samples of the stuff - what you get varies from month to month (its fleece waterproofing stuff at the moment) but it is worth having a look each month as it does come in handy ... and it for nothing which is a bonus.

Nikwax | Web Quiz - Win Nikwax Product(s)

Tent and Gear may be the stuff you are after by the look of it.

sagalout

Reaction score
Thompson water seal or a cheap looky likey e.g barratine. Abslutly spiffing waterproofer. Silicone based meant for bricks and mortor but is excellent on cloth, give it two coats.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
NOT to doubt you sagalout but as I have some of the said product in my garage I have emailed Thompsons for comment....
No, I don't expect them to approve it's use on cloth etc. but no harm in asking !!

Watch this space...................

ps You may well be on a winner - small bottles of the stuff at £8 a pop - sounds good to me!!

peterjg

Reaction score
Two ideas:

Try boiled linseed oil - waterproofs very well but it does take a long time to dry, best to dry it in a greenhouse.

Thompsons water sealer - I believe that they have changed the base for this, it is no longer a solvent base but it water based. You could try Screwfix No Nonsense water sealer which is solvent based but but the smell is horrible.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, Tompson's works a treat on brickwork !

Apart from Nikwax products, 'Storm' do a range of wash-in/proof products. I have a Tilley hat and they recommend Storm for spray -on stuff as well as the 'wash-in'....

Might be worth a look for rod bags, or perhaps an email to them might prove productive.....??

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Sagalout / peterjg and others......

Reference my last post; Thompsons have come back with an answer which is self explanatory:

As follows:

Good Morning

Many thanks for your email

The old formulation was solvent based and could be used on material however, the solvent based formula is no longer in production. We now produce a wasyer based silicone water seal that can only be applied to stone, brick or render. If applied to material you will find it will remain tacky and be very difficult to remove. '

Kind Regards

Saul
Ronseal Technical Services
0114 2409 469
Ronseal Ltd

djd

Reaction score
Tony, interesting about Thompson's. I have an 10 year old tin in my shed so I guess that would be the solvent based.

Law, was the rod bag originally waterproof?

How I understand it is the fabric has to be coated in a waterproof material such as pvc or wax, or has to have a waterproof membrane with a DWR coating to stop 'wetting out' in the first instance.

Just adding a DWR treatment to say cotton will not make it waterproof.

mick b

Reaction score
What a really helpful Forum Topic.

Ive used Fansil on my cotton brolly before Nubrolly made the perfect anglers brolly.

Never thought of using a brick/tile waterproofer on fabric but will buy some today and it on my camera bag tackle carrier, after its dried out from yesterdays late downpour.

Great ideas, many thanks.

:D

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I treat all my luggage with Thompsons every year from a 25 ltr drum I bought at an auction, It's still over half full so will last a while yet but thanks for the heads up about the new formula.

While I was in the RAF there were a few wives who were Amway (direct marketing pyramid scheme) agents, they did an aerosol waterproof spray which was brilliant I remember it being called Drifab. You could always spot the guys who used it as when it rained the water simply beaded up and rolled off the RAF issue mac which when untreated had the water repelling properties of a chamois leather.

Last edited: