Fishing rituals

slime monster

Reaction score
I will notstart fishing or indeed set up any tackle having decided where i will fish until i have sat down with a fag and coffee and surveyed the water ,i dont know if its ritual but having done this for forty years even in matches i suppose it has to be......

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Yep! I get on my knees and beg the dragon to let me go fishing, every time /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

D

disco dan

Magpies have to see two of them if not then always think going to blank silly really.

R

Robert Woods

I make sure I top up carprevious day, don't get weigh sling & scales out till first fish and do not set up self take camera as well. Last season I set it all up on Severn and blanked.../forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif.

C

Colin North, the one and only

I always put a hook on my line before starting to fish/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

slime monster

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifthat was so side spittingly funny i am going to have to have a lie down to get over it /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

M

mark norris (ACA)

Just lately I have adopted a new ritual.

Get up early, go fishing, blank, go home.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I make sure i have everything in the car before driving off.

I do this as i once drove all the way to Huntingdon, only to find i left the rods against a tree outside my mates house/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If it's dry weather, I perform the Zulu rain dance and chant. You basically stand with your legs apart holding your spear in your right hand and your shield and knobkerry in your left.

Then you exchange your weight from one leg to the other in a series of ground stamping thumps, shouting "Hoooooo Hoooooroooo Hoooo!!" ten times in succession and then jumping high into the air whilst screaming: "AAAAaaaaarrrrggghhKK AAAAaaarrrggghhkk AAAAAaaaaaagggghhkk!!" as loud as you can.

You will need the shield to keep dry as the heavens open. It certainly worked well these last few days.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I told you he was going senile ...........

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Last year's floods are probably all Ron's fault.

Rain-dances are finely tuned to the area in which they evolve, and to use an African one here is asking for trouble.

British - sorry, English rain dances (the Irish,Welsh and Scots don't need them - though some of their dances might be aimed at stopping the rain) - English rain-dances involve dressing in white, then either setting up to play cricket, or strapping bell-pads on and going Morris dancing.

On Saturday, the provisional wing of the Mid-Herts Morris side had, it is rumoured, a renegade cricket match in full regalia - how was your weather yesterday?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I've always thought that we on FM should have a Morris side. After all we do need to take part in some ancient English traditions from time to time, but judging from the response, myguess is that we are devoid of culture on this website.

/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The main problem is that you need to get seven or so dancers and a musician or two in the same place... not really what t'internet is best at!

For myself, I can live without the dance; it's the music Ilike - especially since Ashley Hutchings got his paws on it.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
As for fishing rituals, to try and wrench the thread back on track (sorry!!), I don't have any as such, but hate to get a net wet - keep or landing - until I've hooked something to put in it.

Magpies are ok if they're on the right as you go fishing, if they're on the left, you mayas well go home. Allegedly.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
I follow Slime's initial stance when I get to my peg. Sit down, fag, coffee, observe. Not sure if it's ritualistic or due to the fact that I'm knackered after walking what seems miles with all my gear, including the kitchen sink, either hanging off my shoulder or crammed onto the trolley. I must admit to this being somewhat self inflicted exhaustion due to my inexplicable desire to fish the pegs furthest from the car park (perhaps this in itself is a ritual).

I remember many years ago the guys that used to descend on the Witham and the other Lincolnshire drains, particularly the South Forty Foot around Swineshead. They used to be coached in from the industrial cities in their hundreds for a day's fishing. It was a rule that they had to bow to the water if they blanked. This act of recognising the superiority of the fish over their own angling skills would ensure they caught on the next visit. I used to try it but developed severe back ache.