Trolleywise?

wes79

Reaction score
not sure if anyone has already seen this but for anyone who hasn't....

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news...eiled-in-war-against-dumped-shopping-trolleys

03 October 2014
New weapon unveiled in war against dumped shopping trolleys

An innovative trial has begun to tackle the problem of supermarket shopping trolleys blighting the nation’s beautiful waterways.

Dumped trolley Dumped trolley

We've teamed up with Trolleywise, a national organisation set up to retrieve abandoned supermarket trolleys. Trust staff, volunteers and members of the public can now report trolleys they find dumped in the canals and waterways via a free downloadable app or by contacting Trolleywise direct.

Over 600 incidents of supermarket shopping trolleys dumped in canals and rivers have been reported nationally over the past five years. In one incident on the Ashton Canal in Manchester, 40 trolleys had to be retrieved in a single operation.
Great strides

Our Senior Environmental Scientist, Karen Jackson said: “We’ve made great strides over recent years in tackling trolleys dumped in canals and rivers, but there is still more to do. Abandoned trolleys aren’t just unsightly, they damage boat propellors and cost us thousands of pounds every year which we would be better spent conserving our waterways. We hope this new initiative will give us another weapon in the old battle between trolley and canal!"

By informing Trolleywise via their smartphone app or by contacting them directly, the location of an abandoned trolley is logged. Karen adds that "Trolleywise will then remove the trolley from the water and recover the cost from the individual supermarket. This frees our own staff to continue their important daily jobs of looking after the waterway network and keeping them free from pollution and other obstructions.”

The trial is being held in our Manchester and Pennine region and, if successful, will be rolled out across the country.
Joining forces

Stewart Turner, field operations manager for Trolleywise said: “Trolleywise is extremely pleased to have teamed up with the Canal & River Trust to address the issues presented by abandoned shopping trolleys."

“Returning the nation’s waterways to a clean and litter free area is at the very core of our partnership with the Canal & River Trust. Trolleys recovered under this scheme will be refurbished at our trolley revival facility in Tibshelf, in line with our ongoing commitment to the environment”

Trolleywise | Making the UK a better place for everyone

Contact Information

Trolleywise
Wanzl Ltd
Europa House
Heathcote Lane
Warwick
CV34 6SP
Warwickshire
Tel. +44 (0) 800 316 1241
Fax. +44 (0) 1633 896618
Email: enquiries@trolleywise.co.uk

Mobile App Enquiries
Email: support@trolleywise.co.uk

Not sure I would trust the app, which did not work on my mates android tab (just saying).

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
The trial is being held in our Manchester and Pennine region and, if successful, will be rolled out across the country.

Sounds like a good initiative Wes,
Thanks for the heads-up! It's just a shame that nobody is doing this for shopping baskets, prams, scooters and bed-heads which I found in a swim this last week.
There was an article on the local radio last week about a local council taking action against an adjoining council for allowing rubbish from their area to be deposited by recent floods - nice to see them working together to reduce the rubbish in our local rivers!;):rolleyes:

rubio

Reaction score
A local Dive School has been conducting clearance of all kinds of rubbish from town centre stretches in Ipswich in conjunction with the council. Ie they offer to do it without payment and the council kindly agress. It's an annual thing with records kept to compare numbers of trolleys to mopeds etc.

wes79

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in, looks like its still pretty much in its infancy and solely dependent on how much input is put in voluntarily by reports and the public so it could fail miserably but should be seen as an opportunity, especially for us who have already been campaigning and getting nowhere.

I especially liked the billing of the supermarkets for the inconvenience, hopefully it will lean on them enough to make them reconsider putting the coin locks back on these trolley's and listen to the community voice as opposed to just customer feedback on how "inconvenient" having a trolley key on your key ring is=
It's a moment many shoppers know well - arriving at a long row of tethered shopping trolleys to discover you're lacking a pound coin to release a cart from the chain.

Scrabbling around in cars and searching through wallets and purses for spare change is something few of us can afford in our time-pressed lives

Morrisons' chief executive Dalton Philips.

Thats right Dalton, who needs forsight or planning to help your profit margin hey bro?:eek:mg:

The move to having coin locks alone would mean virtually zero make it into the rivers etc giving more time to continue fishing the other **** out (locally we have very serious amounts of tyre fly tipping which is hard to report properly).

I hope it takes off, I guess only time will tell.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
They solve the problem of customers not having a 'trolly pound' over here by issuing plastic tokens free of charge. If you haven't the means of unlocking a trolley just go to the help desk and get a token.

The tyres issue was one I had some input into in my last job. The tyres weren't coming from tyre fitting shops but from scrap yards. I suggested that the source of the problem was the charge imposed by government to dispose of tyres. Same principle with trade waste. If the cost of clearing up dumped tyres or trade waste was too high then the council should look at reducing the charges to businesses disposing of waste. The trade waste issue has become a nightmare for legitimate businesses and impacts on society as a whole and in my view needs totally re-thinking.