Was it an angling tv programme--

flightliner

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone on FM had no interest in angling but watched a tv show and decided to give it a try ?:confused:.

greenie62

Reaction score
I had no interest in Angling when I was very small - but TV was so apalling then - c.1960 - that I took up angling as an alternative to being driven to watching the gogglebox! ;):rolleyes::)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I fished as a child up to about 14 then cricket and rugby to over - it was my son that go me back into fishing when he wanted to try it , but the fishing shows on TV helped build my passion again

sam vimes

Reaction score
No, I don't recall watching an angling TV show until well after I first started fishing. However, they certainly enthused me as a young teen. Unfortunately, after a few years, they only served to disillusion. I could cope with the overseas stuff as it was simply not attainable. The UK based stuff only served as a demonstration of the vast differences in the angling available to me and that which may have been possible elsewhere. I simply could not relate to it. Rather than a distant fantasy, it was relatively close, whilst still being a frustrating impossibility. Time has given me a certain acceptance of what's actually viable in the local area. I've even learned to embrace it and acknowledge that I might actually have some things on my doorstep that others may covet (though I'm yet to see a TV program on any local river, lake or pond). Having a few quid also helps maximize access to the local waters with greater potential.

chrissh

Reaction score
I was into fishing before it came on TV but always watched Jack Hargreaves out of town then in the 70s the golden maggot , can't remember any others before them

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Pretty sure it was watching John Wilson Go Fishing in the 80's that started me off. I started watching it series 2.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Not me, i have been fishing since i was 5 years old. Enjoyed The Out Of Town also.

Don't bother with the fishing on TV now and haven't for years

john step

Reaction score
My Dad bought a telly in 1960. No angling as far as I can remember. It was Bernard Venables /Mr. Crabtree drawings I used to read the print off the page over. However it never actually seemed to relate to much of what I had available.

fishplate42

Reaction score
The funny thing is, I have watched fishing programmes ever since I was a lad, I remember Jack Hargreaves as probably being the first. I also remember watching John Wilson and Matt Hayes later. Although I found it interesting, I had no passion to fish. Nobody I knew fished, apart from a cousin, who did take my younger brother out a few times. I was not really interested.

I have only taken it up in later life and, as a complete beginner, I find the fishing programs that Quest run in the mornings interesting - but I wonder for how long...

Ralph.

terry m

Reaction score
Like others, Out of Town was the only TV offering in those days, and many of those shows did not cover fishing.

I started when invited by a friend to go fishing for the day, he lent me his brothers kit. I was about 10 years old then. Catching a few grayling and a salmon parr had me hooked.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Jack was the only show in and out of Town when I was a child. Saw him filming on the Avon near Fordingbridge when I was on holiday in Bournemouth in the 1960s but was cautioned by my Dad to stay by the car and keep well back. Dad kept binoculars in the car, so I saw quite a lot. Hargreaves was around a long time before we saw him on the telly - here he is in 1949. Great stuff. You almost expect Trevor Howard and "Ey-m v-e-r-r-y v-e-r-r-y h-e-p-p-y" 'Close Encounter' Celia Johnson to walk into camera.

PS - Sorry about that, mixing movies decades apart, BRIEF Encounter. The lovely Celia, buttoned-up and English stiff-upper-lipped to the terrible last.

[ame]http://youtu.be/hubyFqSUaGA[/ame]

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Wasnt there a programme in the early/midd fifties with Bernard Miles the actor that was all country matters with a little fishing included-- The signature tune went something like--Now who would work when he could play, come see the fish arisin, so come with me and spend the day-'tis wonderfull apetisin, wak ma doody doody wak ma doody day---
The opening sequence was off miles walking along a riverbank---- wonderfull stuff-- anybody remember it?.

Billy Bones

Reaction score
Wasnt there a programme in the early/midd fifties with Bernard Miles the actor that was all country matters with a little fishing included-- The signature tune went something like--Now who would work when he could play, come see the fish arisin, so come with me and spend the day-'tis wonderfull apetisin, wak ma doody doody wak ma doody day---
The opening sequence was off miles walking along a riverbank---- wonderfull stuff-- anybody remember it?.

You're going back a bit there Flightliner! Did you watch it on one of the old gas tellies? :)

mick b

Reaction score
When I started fishing there wasn't any TV.

My uncle eventually got a Bush and it had a magnifying lens that stood in front of the screen........I watched the Queens coronation on it :D

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Bernard Miles, he came from Ivinghoe, where they had a working man-trap on the Church wall.
I was born just around the corner...:D

Saw him one day when we were out with the Bucks Otterhounds on the Ousel, nice bloke and a great actor.

flightliner

Reaction score
You're going back a bit there Flightliner! Did you watch it on one of the old gas tellies? :)

Walski, whatever made you think we voted conservatie, it was steam driven.:D

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

Saw him one day when we were out with the Bucks Otterhounds on the Ousel, nice bloke and a great actor.

.[/QUOTE]

Was he taking part , or with the demo?:wh

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Quite an importent topic really when you think about it, Youngsters are probably more influenced by TV than anything else these days. Does the TV actually influence them to take it up. I wonder if the Tv has ever really got to grips with fishing. Many formats, many presenters tried, they all come and go, none have ever been so successful to warrent a permanent spot !
Out of Town was probably the longest running in my day but, then it covered country matters as well as fishing.
I have often wondered why that format is not taken up again because it was very popular but, a lot would depend on the presenter, Jack Hargreaves had a lot of old world easy charm.
I would like to see a hourly program covering all aspects of angling, 10 minute slots, switching between different topics, plenty of fishing shots, angling history instruction, angling politics, it would be a long list. A match angler preparing for a match, his thoughts etc. Plenty too cover. Would make an interesting popular programme in my view.

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
Saw him one day when we were out with the Bucks Otterhounds on the Ousel, nice bloke and a great actor..

Was he taking part , or with the demo?:wh[/QUOTE]

No Flight,
You gotta be joking, no such thing as 'antis' had been even thought of at that time, if there had been any around they would probably have been swimming with the hounds pdq.

He was just enjoying a day out watching the hounds work, if I remember correctly the hunted Otter went downstream as the hounds hunted the heel line (upstream).

flightliner

Reaction score
Was he taking part , or with the demo?:wh

No Flight,
You gotta be joking, no such thing as 'antis' had been even thought of at that time, if there had been any around they would probably have been swimming with the hounds pdq.

He was just enjoying a day out watching the hounds work, if I remember correctly the hunted Otter went downstream as the hounds hunted the heel line (upstream).[/QUOTE]

Mick, it (hunting) never stops, not long ago I was down the lower Trent driving when I saw the back end of a 4WD stuck out of the entrance to a stubble field. Another was parked middle road preventing me from passing.
I thought maybe it was a farmer or a guy shooting woodies but on seeing me the two drivers approached my car where I asked if they were indeed shooting.At the same time I noticed four other guys at the top end of the field with longdogs and realised that they were hare coursing.
In a somewhat apologetic tone they said they were clearing rabbit and had permission-- both with irish accents, telling them I was on my way to go fishing -- they could see my gear beside me-- they prepared to move their cars and at the same time saying I was welcome to share my time with them which I politely declined.
Personally I have no problems with things like that-- fine-- its a traditional country pursuit and puts food on the table.:)

Last edited: