Coffe grinder or blender

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've been using an old blender for making bread crumb from old slices of bread , and making pellets in to powder to make paste but it died now

Question is which is better for a really fine powder a coffee grinder or a blender

Your thoughts please

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I use a Blender.

I don't dry my bread before it goes into the blender, as i like to crush it the night before i go,unless i am going for a few days then i blend it a couple of days before.

The reason i don't dry the bread, is so i can take a handful and squeeze it into a ball, throw it out it will take on water and sink. If fishing a river i add a little water into the bucket so the bread sinks faster.

You can also colour and add flavour to it

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
I believe there is a popular grinder website you could explore

wes79

Reaction score
Blender everytime.

Cheapest loaves being thrown out of the local sm, stack them on the kitchen surface like I'm making a house out of playing cards and do it before bed, this lets the air dry them a bit, then come morning put them in the oven on a very low heat for a few minutes until they go completely crisp like Dutch crispbreads (this kills the yeast off and renders the bread smelling nice again), crush the slices up with my hands before adding to the blender/food processer, empty contents into a seive thats over a large bowl or whatever is handy to catch all the powder, this is key to getting a fine powder, re blend any bits that dont make it through the seive first time around by repeating the last stage, when I have dry powdered bread I add my spices/flavourings/colour/hemp/caster/tumeric/guano etc, bag up airtight, then crush the bags into clean baitboxes & put in the freezer untill needed. because there is no air or yeast when mixed with water the paste can be dried slowly & made into bullet hard bread bollies that will stay on the hair for hours if needs be :wh
When you think about it they get well fed these fish don't they :D

I'm left with big-bobs-*******-beans and the Chub get a curry with hemp and what is effectively reconstituted naan bread :D

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I use a kenwood liquidiser for for everything. About £20-25, I have tried cheaper ones but have always had to take them back because the blades break, especially on dog mixer biscuit which I use to bulk out the ground pellet and make it fluffy.

I have been cutting the ground pellet with vitalin but I am going to try goat mix next as it is almost half the price.

nicepix

Reaction score
As Ray says; there are times when fresh bread or even frozen bread can be reduced to a soft crumb that can be used straight away just by squeezing into a ball. When mullet fishing that's my usual method of attracting them.

Also, I don't waste money grilling bread to reduce to groundbait. I've got a large plastic bucket in the basement that I use to store the old bread. It dries out naturally and every couple of weeks I'll break it into smaller pieces and feed it through the blender crust and all. The sieved crumbs are put into a second smaller bucket for a few days and turned regularly to ensure that they are dry then added to the main storage bin. My neighbour's chickens get the bits that don't pass through the sieve.

mick b

Reaction score
Blender every time.
Mine is a Kenwood, the model with a seperate moter alongside the bowl.
I got it from one of those businesses that does house clearance, for £2 at the door.
All I did was check the fuse and sharpened the blade with a fine file (highly recommended).
It will zuzz up five slices of 'out of date' white bread, straight from the packet, in a 2 min operation.

I use recyceled freezer bags for storage, laying the filled bag inside the cut-off base of a square milk container to shape the crumb into easily freezable blocks.
When frozen the bag is removed from the plastic base and will store in the freezer beautifully.

On my first attempt at liquidising bread I added water :eek:mg:
Not recommended!!

Reaction score
Blender.

A coffee grinder is food for small batches, so it will take ages.

Years ago I used to make groundbait mixes with various seed and nut combos.

One recipe included ground dried chestnut. They are rock hard, so I used a coffee grinder. However, mine eventually died when a chestnut jammed under the blade during operation and snapped it off!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Couple of things.

Blenders are good, but I kept burning the motors out.

So when a local restaurant re-equipped itself several years ago, the Indian owner offered me a commercial food-processor for a tenner. Still going, going very nicely.

A keen roach fisher I knew but lost contact with in the late 1990s was pretty damned serious about his groundbait, liquidized bread and dry variety.

He built himself a very impressive dryer from a metal box found at a scrapyard, some wire-mesh trays, a heating element and a couple of small fans (not computer fans back then, but these would be ideal now - high performance and silent).

Something like one of the models to be found on this page - Top Performing Food Dehydrators At UK Juicers

Serious fisher, but then he did have an unclaimed national record roach from the Avon on trotted flake and God knows what else from bits of Kennet, Stour and Avon.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I've just stuck to using a blender - but then I've only ever looked to liquidise bread. I know everyone always bangs on about how stale bread smashes up better, but I'd rather have fresh bread for the hookbait... so I tend to buy a loaf of quite fresh sliced white bread, keep four slices back for hookbait and then liquidise the rest of the loaf.

That said, my main quarry when doing so is winter chub. And hopefully big chub at that, so I'm not too concerned with how fine the liquidised stuf is.

One other point, there's definitely a false economy in terms of time when you try to liquidise too many slices at once. The upright blender i used to use could only manage two slices at a time, and the bigger side-on kenwood that i use now will do four.. any more than that and you'll find yourself constantly hauling out big chunks of bread that have squidged in around the blades.

This thread has made me want to get some liquidised bread done, really comes into its own at this time of year through to the end of the season.

nicepix

Reaction score
Blender.

A coffee grinder is food for small batches, so it will take ages.

Years ago I used to make groundbait mixes with various seed and nut combos.

One recipe included ground dried chestnut. They are rock hard, so I used a coffee grinder. However, mine eventually died when a chestnut jammed under the blade during operation and snapped it off!

We used to live in a rented cottage where the landlords were farmers who grew and milled their own cattle feed. They had three 20 tonne hoppers and an industrial mill that would make up a tonne of what they called 'flour' at a time. It consisted of maize, wheat, millet and some molasses were added to the resultant product. I could take what I wanted for fishing bait. Also they put loads of whole maize grains in long plastic tubes, around 30 metres by 2 metres that were sealed in October and by January the maize had fermented so it smelled like a sweet vinegar. I used to take a bucketful and put it in their large freezer to preserve it and then take out what I needed for a day's fishing.

When the locals here prepare sweet chestnuts they spend ages peeling the shells off then put the kernels in boiling water for a few minutes before draining. Then they use something like what out grannies would have called a 'posser' that they used to stir clothing when washing in tubs. These French implements scrub the leathery skin off the chestnuts. Then they dry them and finally grind them using mill stones. No wonder your blender went kaput! :D

fishplate42

Reaction score
I was unsure what to buy myself. I then visited my Mum (who at 87 is having a clear out!) and she gave me a blender - so I went out and bought a coffee grinder - Two for the price of one! See HERE.

The little coffee grinder will be used for grinding up those little fishy cat biscuit that just get bounced around in the blender unless you empty most of the box in one go... Aldi have some dry dog biscuit I noticed today, might give that a go in the groundbait mix to try out my new (to me) processor. They feel rock hard so they might just get bounced around too :eek: We'll see.

Ralph ;)

EDIT: Sue just arrived and mentioned that while I was looking at the dog biscuits she noticed that they (Aldi) are selling coffee grinders at under a tenner! Typical I just paid £14.99 for one :mad:

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
The little coffee grinder will be used for grinding up those little fishy cat biscuit that just get bounced around in the blender unless you empty most of the box in one go... Aldi have some dry dog biscuit I noticed today, might give that a go in the groundbait mix to try out my new (to me) processor. They feel rock hard so they might just get bounced around too :eek: ...
Thanks for the info Ralph,
I look forward to your report on the experiment - as a tip to other members of the forum - payback time! ;):rolleyes:
A word of warning - wear some sort of ear defenders! - when I've done a similar thing with smashing-up amoretti biscuits to decorate a dessert the noise was horrendous! :eek::eek::eek:mg:
Tight Lines!

fishplate42

Reaction score
Yep! I can confirm for that, little hard things and blenders make a lot of noise!

Ralph :rolleyes:

bigfish74

Reaction score
How smooth do pellets end ul after the coffee grinder trip is it good enough to make a paste or still chuncky ish

Andy

sagalout

Reaction score
My liquidiser turns pellet and dog discuit into powder. Best to use a pulse action, i.e. turn it on and of in short burst, also this is best for the motor.

lambert1

Reaction score
I agree with Saga, coffee grinders are designed for short period use and will not appreciate long sessions without a rest. The instructions on mine warn you of this. A pain if you want to make a large amount. I have an old fashioned hand grinder that I found in a charity shop, which does a reasonable job too and obviously does not have the same issues. Good luck.