Make sure your chairs are secured...

flatfour

Reaction score
...as they like to go swimming.

Last Sunday was extremely windy (You can see where this is going).

As I've got up to get my flask out the car, my chair must of took off. :eek:

I've turned around and thought "Something's missing here"... Of course, it's gone in the drink haha. :eek:mg: I didn't hear it splash.

It was only a cheap camping chair as I was traveling light, but still!

I eventually fished it out with the landing net, then the rest of the day was spent sitting on the deck as I waited for it to dry out. Didn't last much longer after that!

B

binka

I've turned around and thought "Something's missing here"...

Lmao :D

It's an awful feeling innit, I've done it too but with the brolly and have come to the conclusion that those brolly arm thingies that attach your brolly to your gear, be it a seatbox or a chair, are a great idea until you get up :eek:mg:

Yes it was very windy last Sunday, I was in a sheltered spot all day and didn't really realise just how windy it was until I trudged back to the car.

flatfour

Reaction score
It's an awful feeling innit, I've done it too but with the brolly and have come to the conclusion that those brolly arm thingies that attach your brolly to your gear, be it a seatbox or a chair, are a great idea until you get up :eek:mg:

Classic! I wouldn't trust myself with that, I don't fancy turning around to see my gear doing it's best Mary Poppins impression, as it sails away over the lake. :p

john step

Reaction score
You wouldn't have the problem of the chair blowing away if it was a Nash Daddy Long Legs. My good lady bought one for my birthday due to back problems but I can only use it when I am fishing close to my car. It is very comfortable but weighs more than the car I think.

flatfour

Reaction score
This one has holes on the feet for pegs, which would of stopped it taking swimming lessons.

I've now put a few tent pegs in my box for tomorrow!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
This happened to me 2 years ago......

Duffpeg Paul picked me up at 7. Got a few miles down the M25 when I realised I had left my wet weather outfit and boots at home so back we went. Arrived as the last couple of people were drawing at the layby at Dorchester. Longish walk across the muddy field upstream to our pegs, wind and rain persisting down. Started fishing pole at 8m in the crease between the slack and torrent of Thames that was piling through. Roach first chuck, swung it and it fell off. By 11oclock the wind really got up and the brolly was flapping. After losing 2 pole rigs and snapped elastic due to the snagpit I was fishing over I got up to set up a bomb rod and heard a sort of kerflump splosh, yep, my brolly had caught a rogue gust of wind and pivoted my seatbox forwards and into the Thames....All my 4 baitboxes+groundbait bowl floating upside down alongside my seatbox, inside out brolley ****!********!
Managed to haul it all out but all my bait was gone. Decided to fish on and put the bomb rod together. Then my heart sunk, **********! my TDXD reel had been on the tray with the baitboxes...****!
After probing around with my landing net in the muddy margin, then netting a lot of my maggots and casters out, I was lucky enough to find the reel in the net. Phew!
Had a few chucks with the feeder, not a touch. Then I heard some windborn expletives, Duffpeg was not a happy chap having broken his quivertip somehow so that was that.
Needless to say we both packed up and went home....

nicepix

Reaction score
This happened to me 2 years ago......

Duffpeg Paul picked me up at 7. Got a few miles down the M25 when I realised I had left my wet weather outfit and boots at home so back we went. Arrived as the last couple of people were drawing at the layby at Dorchester. Longish walk across the muddy field upstream to our pegs, wind and rain persisting down. Started fishing pole at 8m in the crease between the slack and torrent of Thames that was piling through. Roach first chuck, swung it and it fell off. By 11oclock the wind really got up and the brolly was flapping. After losing 2 pole rigs and snapped elastic due to the snagpit I was fishing over I got up to set up a bomb rod and heard a sort of kerflump splosh, yep, my brolly had caught a rogue gust of wind and pivoted my seatbox forwards and into the Thames....All my 4 baitboxes+groundbait bowl floating upside down alongside my seatbox, inside out brolley ****!********!
Managed to haul it all out but all my bait was gone. Decided to fish on and put the bomb rod together. Then my heart sunk, **********! my TDXD reel had been on the tray with the baitboxes...****!
After probing around with my landing net in the muddy margin, then netting a lot of my maggots and casters out, I was lucky enough to find the reel in the net. Phew!
Had a few chucks with the feeder, not a touch. Then I heard some windborn expletives, Duffpeg was not a happy chap having broken his quivertip somehow so that was that.
Needless to say we both packed up and went home....

That has to be worth a Peter Crabtree Bad Angling Award :w :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
That has to be worth a Peter Crabtree Bad Angling Award :w :D

Fair comment mr pix.. Hands up..
I forgot to mention that shortly after Duffpeg broke his tip rod, a flask came floating past me? Apparently he had also given up and decided to comfort himself with a hot cup of soup...
The seal had gone on aforesaid flask and it was cold..
Hence launched...

nicepix

Reaction score
Fair comment mr pix.. Hands up..
I forgot to mention that shortly after Duffpeg broke his tip rod, a flask came floating past me? Apparently he had also given up and decided to comfort himself with a hot cup of soup...
The seal had gone on aforesaid flask and it was cold..
Hence launched...

I've had miserable days on the Trent in Winter League matches when things haven't gone right and I've ended up sitting on the bus for a couple of hours. Usually not alone, but I've not had a day like you describe :D

smudger172

Reaction score
Back in the mid 1980 a fishing companion of mine was allowed to night fish a big gravel pit near to Theale alongside the M40. On one of our three day two nights sessions in January was very windy. For those that can remember that far back the favorite Bivvy was a send marketing one. These fitted over the top of an upright brolly so the room inside had a pole right in the middle. On windy days it was possible to put a 45" brolly up insde the bivvy to try and reinforce the side being blown in.. Are you still with me.. Right its midnight, middle of january freezing cold and really starting to blow.. Across the pit comes a weird wistleing noise and its all gone.. Jumping up off the supermarket bed chair just in time to see a bivvy and two brollies flying over the M40.. My mate suffered the same..

nicepix

Reaction score
Wind.

We were fishing out of Staithes one summer day about 25 years back. Beautiful sunny day, not a cloud in the sky, flat calm sea and everyone enjoying themselves. Our boatman Harold Armstrong was of Viking stock. Long jawed, sharp nose, family history dating back a thousand years and born for the sea was sat at the stern watching his 'flock' when all of a sudden he started sniffing the air and the expression changed on his face. "Wind in lads. A squall's coming." Before we could get our heads around the situation he's turned the starter handle on his old diesel engine that had been scrounged from a scrapped combine harvester and knocked it into gear.

It had taken us about forty minutes to get to the fishing spot and we had drifted for about 2 hours. Before we had travelled half an hour the sky was black and we were cutting through waves that caused the little wooden cobble to ride like a cantering horse. There were five of us fishing, one in the bows seat, three amidships and me at the stern one up from Harold. Every time the boat dropped into a big trough Shep who was in the front seat chucked a bucket of sea water over Jim who was in the centre of the middle seat facing backwards. Jim became more and more paranoid and gripped Tony's arm like a kid on a fairground ride. Shep kept pouring water over him every time the boat dropped into a trough and to be fair it wasn't a good situation to be in as to get into Staithes harbour the boatman had to zig-zag over the reef known as Penny Steel and it was getting rougher by the minute. We knew that Harold would not have an easy task despite his long experience. He'd run away to sea at 14, served on trawlers, done Atlantic runs on Liberty Ships during the war and spent the rest of his working life in the Merchant Navy. Now he fished for lobsters and took fishing parties out on his cobble Mizpah.

As we crossed the shallow bar of Penny Steel the boat was bucking like a bronco and Shep cruelly kept up his water torture of chucking water over Jim who was huddled up, head down by this time gripping the arms of both his compatriots neither of whom were aware of where the water was coming from.

At one point Jim turned to Tony and said, and this is imortalised in our fishing club archives: "If owt happens to me and I don't make it tell our lass that its all under the bed in a biscuit tin."

Jim was the Crime Prevention Officer at Barnsley Police Station :eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years I have had a few episodes with chairs and umbrellas to the point where i always have 2 guy ropes and several tent pegs in my holdall.

First thing is to set my chair, and brolly and then guy and peg it all down.

As Peter and others can attest, it is a right P.I.T.A. to have to try to retrieve items from the river or lake when a little forethought can avoid it . . . . . . . .

A few weeks ago down at Britford I saw one angler guying down his Korum chair without a brolly attached, on a very windy afternoon. It might have looked a bit silly but then not as daft as poking around in the river looking for lost kit.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Never lost a chair but I've had a few Mary Poppins moments with brollies. Lost one on a big Colne Valley pit once. It was upside down sailing across the lake out of reach of all but a big chuck with my only plug. Hooked it fair and square but then the fun really started....you try reeling a brolly in against the wind ! I nearly joined it when it got near the bank and started behaving like a parachute.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Friend of mine lost one on the first day of a three day trip to the Trent, it took off and sailed across the river where it lodged in a tree and tormented him for the next three days.

I think I might know the Jim from Nicepics story, Is he the slowest driver in the world?

nicepix

Reaction score
Friend of mine lost one on the first day of a three day trip to the Trent, it took off and sailed across the river where it lodged in a tree and tormented him for the next three days.

I think I might know the Jim from Nicepics story, Is he the slowest driver in the world?

I don't think so. He drove home pretty sharpish from that trip - and moved the biscuit tin.

I've never lost a brolly to the wind. But I did 'win' one on the Trent at Muskham. It came sailing down the river upside down just like S-kippy described, and lodged itself on the bank in my swim. I left it at the fishery office in case anyone wants to claim it. However, it might have gone now. It would have been around 1983.