Newbie piker

newbie piker

Reaction score
Hi all, I am from east london and just started lure fishing for pike and perch a few months back. I have mainly fished the local canals around the Olympic park and up in pickets lock with a fair results. I am originally from Cape Town and done plenty of shore fishing for sharks and bankfish but never spinning and must say that roaming the canal is a fantastic way to spend a few hours. I am looking for any other venues ( day ticket) that anybody can recommend that I can try spinning for pike and perch. Thanks in advance.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Hi Newbie Piker - I'm not sure your screen name is going to be so relevant after three or four years on here!

Loads of waters around London which are suitable; the Thames, for one. There are some really big pike in the Thames. To be honest, you'd be mad not to stump up for a London Anglers Association membership, but other clubs in the London area will have waters, too.

My own experience is that the best pike fishing of all is on carp lakes - once the carp boys take over, a couple of things happen. Firstly, they police the place like they own it, and secondly, they take little or no interest in silvers and pike. And if pike populations thrive on anything, it's neglect.

You may baulk at syndicate prices, though. That said, if you want some peace and quiet, you have to pay the price.

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Oh, and if you aren't using, or learning to use, a multiplier/baitcasting reel, you're missing a great experience. One of those and some PowerPro braid, and lure chucking becomes SO much more pleasurable.

newbie piker

Reaction score
Wow, that was short but well informative. Will defo check out london anglers association. As for a baitcaster, I spoke to an old timer along the canal this weekend and said the exact same thing, so it can't be wrong. Will be looking out for a heavier rod ,mine 10g-50g, and then a bait caster as well. For now though I will stick with what I have, daiwa pro caster 4000 , whiplash crystal braid 50 lb, and I am actually using a 8.2ft bass rod. Graufell teklon concept spin. Do you think I should go shorter and heavier 6ft6 with a multiplier or must I stick to around 8 ft? Thanks again for the response

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
It's a matter of personal preference, rod length. The Americans like their short rods but while they're fine for boat fishing, I like the extra reach of an 8' or even 9' rod for bank fishing.
I love multiplier/baitcasting reels for the way they help you 'feel' around the water and for their accuracy at short range with medium-sized baits. Also, you'll never have any problems with line twist.
But 50lb braid seems a bit excessive to me; I'm happy with 30lb, and though it's not the best on fixed-spool reels, PowerPro is excellent on multipliers. I know it's not necessary, but I like a 15lb BS fluorocarbon leader, and attach it with a micro-ring. Then, a short, 25cm trace. I carry half a dozen made from 20lb Drennan Soft Strand - everyone has their favourite wire.
I always worry that I might leave a lure in a pike, so I usually fish with wire - 10lb if I'm going for zander and perch with bigger lures. I may get fewer takes than I would on nylon, but maybe, one day, I'll get a 20lb pike...