Glasses wearers - seeing to tie hooks etc

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Hi

I now have to wear glasses to see to read, whether its a £4.50 pair of +1.5's from Wilkinsons or a proper prescription pair I wear to see a screen when working.

However none of these work when Im trying to thread line through a tiny eye on a size 16 hook. So I've resorted to buying hook to nylons.

Just wondered if there was a solution to the problem other short-sighted anglers had found?

thanks

aebitim

Reaction score
Same here, I use glasses from the pound shop in up to 3.00 mag. These glasses have a focal length as magnifiers so distance from the object is critical. Another good tip is to hold the hook against a white background, a small bit of card in the hook packet works well.

greenie62

Reaction score
Try a pair of +4 Ready Readers from the £1 shop (or Wilkos £3.99 - 4.99 if you're a flash git!;)). DONT try walking round with them on! :eek:
While you're there - buy a glasses neck cord while you're in buying mode!
Good Look! ;):D

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

...These glasses have a focal length as magnifiers so distance from the object is critical. ....

What Tim is hinting at is you've got to hold the hook closer than you thought - almost on the end of your nose - to be able to focus on it!

rubio

Reaction score
I have similar issue and find I can tie spade ends more easily than threading a small eyed hook. Most of the operation is done without really looking nowadays. I have bought one of those twirly hook tyers tho for very fine lines and tiny roach hooks.

Reaction score
Just get a magnifying glass and look at the hook through that.

If using at the table then get one with a stand or clip. If on the bank just grip the handle between your knees.

mick b

Reaction score
During a period of extreme stress my eyesight deteriorated from superb to minus 2.5, all in the space of a few weeks.

I use spade end hooks (Kam 11s) and tie them with all to 4lb clear mono using a Matchman hook tyer.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...gBrCS7Ab_6oDYCA&ved=0CDgQ7Ak&biw=1024&bih=672
and either a desk mounted illuminated magnifier
Optic Magnifying Desk Lamp - Lighting Direct
or wearing +3.5 specs I get from Sainsbury's.

Only last night I tied up 15 hooks in 20-25mins.
I always use a size 24 Preston Match swivel below my float and the hook-length is attached to that using a five turn uni knot.
I also tie the same hook to 4lb Fluorocarbon (for when the spotted hooligans are out in force) but always tie these under the mag glass and inspect the knot very closely before storing.

Hope this helps.

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Good stuff so far.

I used to have a matchman tyer years ago, I'll have to get another one and dig up Dave Harrel's waggler fishing on rivers video for the instructions for using it.

I'll also try out the 3.5, 4 mag cheapos glasses and see how they work.

rubio

Reaction score
Good stuff so far.

I used to have a matchman tyer years ago, I'll have to get another one and dig up Dave Harrel's waggler fishing on rivers video for the instructions for using it.

I'll also try out the 3.5, 4 mag cheapos glasses and see how they work.

Someone else on here recommended whitworth mouldings disgorgers a while back. They do a good deal on hook tyers plus the efgeeco disgorgers in a couple of sizes.

nicepix

Reaction score
I got a serious eye injury about 8 years ago that knackered the vision in my right eye and also affected to a lesser extent the vision in the other eye. Up to that point I could tie spade end 20's no problem. Because the doctors didn't know when or if the vision would recover I bought a job lot of hooks to nylon.

Now I can just about do 16's using a hook tyer using cheapo 2X reading glasses. When tying hair rigs at home though I use a fly tying vice as it makes the job so much easier.

john step

Reaction score
Mick b.
I have experienced probs with spade ends where the knot slips over the spade when using 4lb bs. unless its in the bigger sizes. On some hooks the spade seems a bit narrow. The hooks you mention , do they have bigger spades?
I use a matchman hook tyer.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
....I'll also try out the 3.5, 4 mag cheapos glasses and see how they work.

The other aid that I use - in brighter weather is bifocal polies: Grandeslam Bifocal Polarising Sunglasses
The +2 clear inset lenses are useful for just checking things over at close range - rather than really intense close-up work.
The other thing to remember about 'magnifying' lenses is that their powers are additive so that if you are wearing these bifocals and then pop a pair of your normal reading glasses on your nose in front of the bifocals you get an effect which is of the 2 lenses combined - +2+1.5 = +3.5 - job's a goodun!
Tight Lines!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Stonfo hook tyer . Eyes not being what they used to be ..

if anyone buys one check it is assembled the right way round mine was not i had to push the little pin that stops the clip coming out and refit the cilp it was in from the wrong side ,.

Works a treat now even on the 22 fine wire recently aquired thanks to robtherake for the hooks hope to be out with them tomorrow wind permitting

mick b

Reaction score
Mick b.
I have experienced probs with spade ends where the knot slips over the spade when using 4lb bs. unless its in the bigger sizes. On some hooks the spade seems a bit narrow. The hooks you mention , do they have bigger spades?
I use a matchman hook tyer.

Hi John,
My Kamasan B711s in size 11 have a wire diameter of 0.53mm and spade width of 1.08mm.
This difference per side equates to the thickness of two sheets of writing paper.

When I started using the MM hook tyer* I experimented with the number of turns around the hook shank inorder to give me the strongest connection, this gave me a good indication of what to use when I started fishing here.
I was testing tackle for two importers at the time and had developed my own test rig which enabled me to determine the number of turns required to produce the strongest connection.
(Actually the Snell is a stronger connection for a straight shank but sadly no machine is made capable of tieing it.)

The turns around the hookshank should be reasonably tight (where your going wrong I would guess) and the spool held firmly (I lay it on a chair and put my foot on it) so the line lays tight to the hookshank and around the two pins.

With 4lb I use eight turns and wet the line before pulling the tag end thro the turns.
I do not tie any knot around the hookshank.

* Previously I was using the MM tyer to attach size 6s when catching Bass on live shrimp in the run-offs from commercial salt pans, the fish were 2-6kg sizes and the outlet stream 30cm deep and 2metres wide so the fight was fast and furious to say the least, but the fish tasted absolutely brilliant:D

john step

Reaction score
Mick b Thanks for that. I will try as you say. Also I recon the 611s I have been tying are a lighter grade of wire which would in theory make the spade smaller when flattened to make the spade. I will try some 711s. Ta again.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I am short sighted so need glasses to see things that are far away. Until recently i could still see computer screen wearing my glasses and for close up work I could take them off for my best close-up eyesight, but generally could get by even wearing my glasses.

As i got older and the eyes became less able to adjust, i found i now need varifocals to see far away and to see the computer screen at the awkward inbetween distance - and to tie a hook i need to look through the bottom of the glasses (or underneath the lens). Alternative was continually taking off the glasses to bait hook/unhook fish, and replace them to cast out and see the float or bobbin - all a complete faff.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Cheapos for me too....doesn't matter then if they fall in or I leave them on the bank which often happens. Never mind a 16 hook...I can't thread the line through the riod rings without bins now.

You only leave them behind because you haven't got glasses on to see where they are, and those riod rings are a ****** also. Put your glasses on Skippy :D

My eye sight has gone down hill over the last year, `long vision i am fine. i have to have glasses to read now, and to be honest, since wearing them my eye sight has got worse.

Up until 18 months ago i could still tie a size 20 eyed hook with no problems, now i have problems seeing a size 20 hook. I am due back next month for another eye test, but i know what the out come will be, i will need stronger glasses.

My brother in law is having a laser eye Op next week, will wait and see ( sorry for the pun ) if he has much better eye sight after. The down side of such an Op i have been told, is your long vision suffers a little.

Will give a pair of the cheapo's a try.

Drennen hook tier for me.

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
John,
I will take my mic with me to my tackle shop and measure up the 611s for a comparison, then let you know the difference if any.

Ray,
My ex had her eyes lazered at Moorfields and when completed she could see the rotor of a helicopter flying over for the first time in her life.

Now I cant even see the helicopter :eek:mg: