chrissh

Reaction score
Do your other half's know how much you spend on fishing
mine is a Essex girl so I can tell her anything. if she only knew the truth

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"So, you are admitting that you are a liar?"

When I was married I lived with the fear that when I finally popped my clogs that my then wife would sell all of my fishing kit for:

what I told her I'd paid for it . . . . . .

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The most expensive piece I own was bought for me as a present by my good lady. We have an agreement, she doesn't ask about my fishing gear (or any of my other collections) and I don't ask about her shoes, handbags or diamonds.

terry m

Reaction score
In answer to the original Q, probably not, but I have no issues telling her if she wants to know.

You can't take it with you.................

B

binka

I never used to tell the ex how much gear was so not necessarily dishonest there but I did occasionally sneak stuff into the shed having disposed of the packaging on the way home :eek:mg:

law

Reaction score
The wife fishes too and we share lots of gear, so she knows exactly how much it all costs.

Id hate to think about the state of the relationship if you have to lie about how much stuff costs!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sometimes, in moments of self doubt, I wonder if I'm missing out on something by not being married. Then I see something like this and gleefully think, ***k that for a game of soldiers!;):D

fishplate42

Reaction score
Yes, how else do I send her out to buy it if she doesn't? ;)

Sue does come with me to the tackle shop if we happen to be out together - the other guys in the shop usually talk to me in a low voice - it is hilarious.

Although Sue does not fish, she is deeply involved in our other hobby. I remember once standing at a meeting talking to a mate. Sue had gone off to talk to a dealer and came back with a bag full of parts. There I was giving her the third degree on how much she had spent, when my mate stopped me and said "Hold on a minute, shouldn't that be happening the other way round?"

Ralph ;)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Sometimes, in moments of self doubt, I wonder if I'm missing out on something by not being married. Then I see something like this and gleefully think, ***k that for a game of soldiers!;):D

There are benefits too, would someone please remind me what they are.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Your other "half's a Essex girl"?
Did you go to the same school?

john step

Reaction score
OI....I was an Essex boy originally." Nufink" wrong with Essex mate. Been married for 45 years. She came from across the water. Kent.
No need to lie. I get asked what tackle I want next for birthday, Xmas etc.
She once pushed the baby in the pram a couple of miles each way to the tackle shop for a swish float box I mentioned.
I can't understand the need for secrecy. I suppose I'm lucky when so many around me divorce. Perhaps that's why some divorce?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I can only assume most of you guys are 'avin a laugh when you say you cannot tell the wife how much you spend on tackle ??

Perhaps you just choose not to say, and she doesn't ask ?

As lambert1 says, what sort of relationship can you have (if what you've written is true!) if you keep spending 'secrets' from each other. Surely some sort of simple system is better than telling lies (or failing to tell the truth!) where you have an agreed amount that is 'personal spending money' for want of a better word.............................

We have joint accounts in absolutely everything. Every single penny is in a central account, BUT within that account are separate sections for both of us and this is added to every month. That money, which can be spent or saved as we see fit as individuals, is for such things as fishing, clothes or whatever, BUT we don't question how the other spends and on what, at any time. Last week end I spent £70+ on topping up tackle and I think my wife spent £120 or so on clothes. No guilt, no hassle and totally fair.............

For the life of me I cannot understand how 'withholding spending info' can be any good for a marriage as I see it as deceit, pure and simple.
Everybody has a different plan and ours would not suit everybody, but it works well for us, and, thank the Lord, it means we never, ever argue about money !!

I also know how lucky I am to have a wife who offers nothing but encouragement to buy whatever I need to make my fishing as enjoyable and productive as possible - I cannot ask for any more.....

Relationships need to be based on truth, don't they ???

ps Sam Vimes...don't believe all you hear about 'dodgy wives' etc etc. Plenty of good ones to be had - you just have to find the right one, and good luck with that !!!

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We have always had joint accounts, one which all the cash gets paid into and another which all the bills are paid out of. The bill account gets a transfer from the cash account every month which covers all the bills + 10% for emergencies.
But we do both have private accounts which get an allowance transferred in from the cash account every month. You have to have a little stash of your own otherwise how can you buy surprise presents for each other?

The bad one

Reaction score
If I told her I'd have to kill her........then I wouldn't be able to go fishing would I;)

chrissh

Reaction score
OI....I was an Essex boy originally." Nufink" wrong with Essex mate. Been married for 45 years. She came from across the water. Kent.
No need to lie. I get asked what tackle I want next for birthday, Xmas etc.
She once pushed the baby in the pram a couple of miles each way to the tackle shop for a swish float box I mentioned.
I can't understand the need for secrecy. I suppose I'm lucky when so many around me divorce. Perhaps that's why some divorce?

she is known as the Essex girl by family and friends and work friends
Sandra was HGV driver of a 38 ton scania with Essex girl in the front window that how the name stuck

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
First wife, an English lass.

She had a collection of handbags and shoes that any W.A.G., would have been proud of (and typically saw the light of day maybe 5 or 6 times) whereas I buy a rod that, with care, will last a life time . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . and I was the one who wasted money?

So, I simply chose not to tell her . . . . . . . working on the principle that:

Circumspection was infinitely preferable to verbal circumcision

[insert whatever smiley thing suits your view > > > > HERE]

Happily single these past 8 years I now only have to justify a purchase to . . . . . . . myself!

Last edited: