Trees - Grrrr!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I read an article on this yesterday, and remembered driving past the Big Bellied Oak in Wiltshire just last week.

Not that it matters at all but my vote would go to Newton's Apple Tree closely followed by, The Ankerwycke Yew near Runnymede . . . . . . .

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great old trees. The old yew at Runnymede near which Magna Carta was signed - known or local to me throughout my life: fished the river there as a very small child, slid and tobogganed on the frozen river with hundreds of others in the great winter of 1963, caught some of my first Thames barbel from that reach of river in my teens, a tree that stood within several yards of where I was living in the 1980s. Just as interesting is another tree in the area, Herne's Oak, which lies in Windsor Great Park, a tree named after a Celtic God, Herne, The Hunter - here is a New Age-y rendering of the chap - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wDQCF3lGS0M/UVcYaEF85yI/AAAAAAAAC7Y/2ZmMemSvGhU/s1600/Herne.jpg
You might remember him from that old Robin Hood TV series, complete with Clannad music, years ago.

The tree was chopped down by mad king George III's people in the 1790s, its location largely forgotten, then replanted later, maybe in the right spot, maybe not. Ancient time, belief and magic - we need more of it, as an awareness of such things helps us anchor ourselves in our ever-shifting present.

As for knowing everything, "I know nothing, Mr Fawlty.".

PS - As for everybody.... Well, for those who like to be tormented, I can say that when taking a walk in Windsor Great Park with my girlfriend one Sunday in the early 1980s, something that we did very often as two staff-only entrances to it lay within a minute or two's walk from our home, whilst wandering through the then unpoliced grounds, gawping at magnificent ancient oaks and deer as we went, a Mini Metro screeched round a corner of one of the private roads, nearly wiping us off it and out permanently. A pretty gal, clearly batty as a box of frogs in an aristocratic sort of way, clapped her hand to her mouth, offered us a very winning smile and an "I'm s-o-o-o sorry!", then bombed off.

Lady Diana.

Frequently exchanged friendly waves with Her Majesty and Prince Philip behind the wheels of their various cars and Land Rovers, too.

Long ago and far away.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"What a charming young man", were the words I heard her clearly say to Phil after I bent to pick up her dropped glove and in inadvertently tickled her thigh with my busby.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Great old trees. The old yew at Runnymede near which Magna Carta was signed - known or local to me throughout my life: fished the river there as a very small child, slid and tobogganed on the frozen river with hundreds of others in the great winter of 1963, caught some of my first Thames barbel from that reach of river in my teens, a tree that stood within several yards of where I was living in the 1980s. Just as interesting is another tree in the area, Herne's Oak, which lies in Windsor Great Park, a tree named after a Celtic God, Herne, The Hunter - here is a New Age-y rendering of the chap - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wDQCF3lGS0M/UVcYaEF85yI/AAAAAAAAC7Y/2ZmMemSvGhU/s1600/Herne.jpg
You might remember him from that old Robin Hood TV series, complete with Clannad music, years ago.

The tree was chopped down by mad king George III's people in the 1790s, its location largely forgotten, then replanted later, maybe in the right spot, maybe not. Ancient time, belief and magic - we need more of it, as an awareness of such things helps us anchor ourselves in our ever-shifting present.

As for knowing everything, "I know nothing, Mr Fawlty.".

PS - As for everybody.... Well, for those who like to be tormented, I can say that when taking a walk in Windsor Great Park with my girlfriend one Sunday in the early 1980s, something that we did very often as two staff-only entrances to it lay within a minute or two's walk from our home, whilst wandering through the then unpoliced grounds, gawping at magnificent ancient oaks and deer as we went, a Mini Metro screeched round a corner of one of the private roads, nearly wiping us off it and out permanently. A pretty gal, clearly batty as a box of frogs in an aristocratic sort of way, clapped her hand to her mouth, offered us a very winning smile and an "I'm s-o-o-o sorry!", then bombed off.

Lady Diana.

Frequently exchanged friendly waves with Her Majesty and Prince Philip behind the wheels of their various cars and Land Rovers, too.

Long ago and far away.

but you got you're own back later in that tunnel when you was driving a Fiat Uno

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"And the winner is ... Major Oak of Sherwood Forest!"

Wot a blooming swizz!

That old tree doesn't even stand up on its own and without the props would have fallen over decades ago.

"A 1,000-year-old hollow oak, reputed to have hidden Robin Hood from the Sheriff of Nottingham"

As the good Colonel would have often been heard to say . . .

Bull-cookies! Hood was just a myth.

Bah, humbug!

B

binka

Lol, the Major Oak is about ten minutes down the road from me and we almost got fed up of school visits to see it as kids.

It's amazing it's still going after it was deliberately set fire to by arsonists some years ago now, it was originally feared it may not pull through and the American tourists really knock themselves out over it.

Strange just how much you take things for granted when they're on your own doorstep.

nicepix

Reaction score
Even more amazing how many threads started on this photography section by a bloke who never seems to take any photos of his own. A bit like all those programs he watches on the telly he claims not to have.

Here's a group of trees I used to exchange waves with.......