River Blythe Packington Somers

rsblues

Reaction score
Hello All

This is my first post, i would like to ask any member if they have fished the River Blythe at Meriden (packington Somers) recently, i plan to visit the venue this Saturday 8th November and would be great if anybody has any feedback, tips or advice.

I have not fished the Blythe before so any information would be great

Richard

markv

Reaction score
Had a look at the Blythe on the Packington Somers fishery at the beginning of the season. At that time access to the banks was difficult, lots of tall foilage to bash through. There were a couple of deeper holes / pegs fishable, there had been efforts to clear a way along but loads still needed doing, if they were going to. Need to travel light with shortish rods. I guess winter is the better time.

Might be okay as long as you're not expecting easy access and a stroll along the bank and you're agile. Looks chubby, have heard there's quite a few in there. It's not fished a lot unfortunately. Regards Mark

rsblues

Reaction score
Thanks for the information on the websites and other bits, i will ring them on friday to get the lowdown, my style of fishing on the rivers is light, couple of rods, seat and rucksack so will be ideal. like the idea of quietness and tranquility. Understand the Chub hit 6lb on this stretch and the Perch go over 3lb so that will be my target fish on the day, will take some maggots and casters and go after the Dace and Roach if the Worm and Bread fails to produce.
Looking at google Maps there seems to be clear areas going towards Stonebridge island but still plenty of cover, lets hope the rain keeps off as it floods very quickly.

Once again thanks for the info.

markv

Reaction score
Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

rsblues

Reaction score
Hi All

Nothing to report as the weather put an end to my trip, i did fish one of the pools but decided to call it a day after a couple of Roach, will be back in early December to try again, weather permitting Thanks

littleal

Reaction score
Hi All

Nothing to report as the weather put an end to my trip, i did fish one of the pools but decided to call it a day after a couple of Roach, will be back in early December to try again, weather permitting Thanks

Hi rsblues,

It certainly was a little rough down the Blythe this weekend! If you like peace and quiet, i'd suggest a trip a little further down the road to Barston Waters - the main lake is massive (120 acres +) and if you choose a peg at the bottom end, you won't be disappointed. I fished there yesterday and other than the odd dog walker, didn't see anyone all day - including other anglers!

There is also a nice stretch of the Blythe which is a little more accessible than at Packington :)

pikepro1

Reaction score
I have grown up fishing the Blythe all around the Solihull, Hampton in Arden area. My brother and I cut our teeth with river fishing on this gorgeous little river. It is our spiritual fishing home. The reports you read that there are monster chub in there may be a little misleading. The best we have had is just over 4lb with plenty in the 3lb area. Not saying that there aren't bigger in there, just that over the countless rod hours, I think we may have hooked into something bigger if they're there. The stretch at Barston had it's stock decimated a few years ago by the increase in cormorant numbers at the nature reserve the other side of the railway bridge. My father is a twitcher and counted 17 of them in one dead tree! Haven't been down there for a while so not sure what it's like there now. PM me if you would like any more info on the river. Tight lines!