Hors de Combat - Grrrr!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tom, a footloose Alaskan construction manager, with whom I often fished a piece of river in Clarkson Country in the 1990s told me about Combat Fishing - a bunch of usually beered-up (but not always) guys slugging it out over a piece of fishing. I had seen, or was to see, the same on a couple of river-mouths in Chile and Argentina - guys wanting the big rainbows or browns that swam in them very very bad. Not pretty.

Here is a YouTube clip that I first watched two years ago and which today has been reprised on the Moldy Chum blog - numbskulls after Alaskan steelhead. Both sad and funny at the same time.

Real Combat Fishing or Struggling for Steelhead--Better quality - YouTube

B

binka

And to think it could all have been avoided with a simple home made sign on a stake by the waters edge...

"Swim pre-baited and reserved for 16th June" :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Other than people I know and have chosen to fish with, I don't recall having fished within a good hundred yards of anyone for several years. I barely see another soul on the river stretches I fish. Chances of annoying, or being annoyed by, anyone are slim. Chances of a punch up, pretty much zero.

aebitim

Reaction score
Reminds me a bit of a small pond on Soton common, at least it gave the lads somewhere to start, wasnt there a thread about lost waters somewhere, or perhaps it was about exclusivety or maybe something else . . Centrepins or barbel or . . . . just winning.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

mick b

Reaction score
Reminds me a bit of a small pond on Soton common, at least it gave the lads somewhere to start, wasnt there a thread about lost waters somewhere, or perhaps it was about exclusivety or maybe something else . . Centrepins or barbel or . . . . just winning.

Or a well-known 'name' muscling out the residents who invited him there in the first place.