Umbrella.....Grrrrrrrr

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm not a lover of ' Grrrrrr . In fact I really hate Grrrrrrr and as a rule would never use it, BUT every rule has it's exception and this is one of those occasions...

Recently I purchased a new umbrella. It doesn't really matter why I settled on this particular brand, but I did a limited amount of research and decided on a Matrix 'Space brollie'. It just needed to keep me dry and stand pretty much in an upright position so I wasn't too bothered, when push came to shove, who made the thing. It came recommended by a tackle supplier who had nothing to gain as I was buying from him anyway....

As it happens I haven't had cause to use it since purchase, but on Friday it was needed. I stuck the pole in the ground about a foot or so, opened the brollie and slipped it over the pole. All good so far.....
I then tried to get under the thing only to find the pole supplied is so short that I had to bend into a low crouch to do so. Once underneath and on my lowish chair I then found the curve of the nylon canopy so severe that I could barely see out from under it, let alone cast, without bending my head sideways !

Now I'm around 6', my X-Lite chair quite is low, so nothing abnormal to suggest the brollie had unusual circumstances to deal with and yet I could not use it in the required fashion and ended up holding the thing over my head until the rain subsided.

The 30 year old jobbie it replaced was always fine, but then the canopy is' flatter' so I was always able to see out and it generally kept me dry.

I cannot send the thing back, so my only course of action is to buy an extra long fixing pole and this my reason for posting....I need a recommendation !!

Being longer, I assume the wall thickness of the ali tube would be slightly thicker (?) and in the region of 60cm longer than the one that came with the brollie, this being 90cm, giving a length of 150cm or so.....this should do the job just fine.

Does anyone have knowledge of such an animal ??

It needs to be substantial so price is not an issue....

HELP !!!

C

chefster

I,ve got a much better idea,fix a bait brolley to you,re box leg,invest in some decent waterproofs/Gortex clothing and leave the brolley at home,they,re more trouble than they,re worth,impossible to fish seriously under one!!!..Gaz

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Tee/Cee

I would find a steel fabrication firm near you, to get such a pole.

I don't know of any angling company that provides such a pole, but i may well be wrong.

By going to a local firm you can have it made to the size you want, and i would have thought many would be able to do it there and then.

Thats if they have the material which many will do.

Good Luck

john step

Reaction score
Yes they are bloody awkward beasts. I have never been able to use one in the
"upright" position unless there is no wind and it can be at its full height .
I invariably use one when I have to by having the back on the ground and pegged down. I presume that is why they come with pegging points and some are flatbacks.
Being a pleasure only chap I can choose my own place with the wind at my back on rainy days. I can pick my venue accordingly with knowledge of the weather forecast otherwise you end up with a sail.

If you fish matches and cannot pick where you fish best do as Gaz says I think ?:eek:mg:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
120cm is the best I can find.

Brolly Poles - Gardner Tackle

P.S. Is there not a tilt mechanism on the brolly?
I've got one of those....does the job well. I usually have it angled ie witht he main brolly stem screwed in at an angle so the brolly is more like a shelter. Works well though it has to be pretty grotty for me to put it up as I hate fishing under umbrellas too.

john step

Reaction score
120cm is the best I can find.

Brolly Poles - Gardner Tackle

P.S. Is there not a tilt mechanism on the brolly?

I have had one of these for screwing into tough banks. It can take the place of the one supplied with the brolly. It must be 25+ yrs old.
Very solid but BEWARE it is too wide a diameter for some modern light weight brollies.

It looks a fearsome bit of kit and saved me once when some yobs thought they would intimidate me with the threat of pushing me into the Trent.
They don't like it up 'em.

nicepix

Reaction score
Throwing in a curve ball; is it possible to find a tube or pole that would fit over the brolly pole to extend it? Slip the brolly pole inside, drill through both poles and fasten a pin using twine to the outer pole.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Skippy/Sam Vimes...........that sounds just the ticket !

Yes, the brollie does have a tilt mechanism, so with this and a 1.2m pole it should cover all eventualities. I wanted something a bit longer as it's not always possible to 'tilt' in some tight swims I fish, BUT needs must where the devil drives, as they say......(They seem to go for around £21+post but I'll have a good look around !!)

Thanks for the help on this one..

ps If I could really do without a damn brollie of any sort I would, but getting soaked is even worse IMHO !!

pps Must rush, off out after those pesky Autumnal roach again !!

Terry D

Reaction score
I use a long powerdrive bankstick and put my brolly spike in the end of that, works for me.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I pretty much gave up on the traditional brolly some years ago and opted for a Preston flat-back one.

There is still a compromise to be made between comfort and the lack of headroom, but then to raise a brolly high enough to give that extra room makes it far more prone to the effects of the wind.

I don't think there is brolly on the market that you can fish from easily without having to get up to cast. For longer sessions I also have a Korum storm shield brolly that provides maximum protection from both wind and rain, but again, you still need to stand to cast.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/reviews/13978-korum-stormshield-brolly.html

(sadly the pictures are no longer available)

If you are going to still go for the extra pole then do consdier using guy ropes and pegs to down as well.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stick it on ebay and buy another one.

Richox12

Reaction score
I use a long powerdrive bankstick and put my brolly spike in the end of that, works for me.

That is EXACTLY what I do and always have. Simple. It makes the height almost whatever you want it to be and the Powerdrive is much sturdier.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Perhaps you could talk to Chris Brown who makes substantial banksticks and have one custom made? I think (!) the diameters he uses are the same as a standard brolly.
On the other hand, I have a long and sturdy telescopic rod rest made by somebody or other, about 4' in length with a screw point tip which might also be worth looking out for. Got a local tackle shop to ask?