End of year is nearing!!!

andreagrispi

Reaction score
The end of 2014 is almost on us, how's 2014 been for you angling wise.

Mixed bag for me:-

Jan and Feb were slow, mainly due to bloody rain, but did have some good chub to cage feeder and flake - also had a pb sea trout of 3lb 1oz.

March and April were mixed - had a big net of end of season tench including four over 6lb to 7lb 10oz. Had some amazing success on a new stretch of water including a catch on the last day of the season which included 19 chub, almost all were over 4lb 8oz with SIX over 5lb, all caught on float. Caught some nice bream from a new water including a few low doubles.

May and June were unbelievable from a tench perspective. Massive catches of huge tench including a 22 tench catch with fish to 8lb 14 oz. big bream kept coming to 13 lb 13 oz.

July and August produced shed fulls of big bream, numerous doubles, one session sticks out - 8 over 11lb to 13lb 5oz.

September and October bream, tench, perch and pike have all featured, no monsters but some good'uns to get the juices flowing.

November and December has started slow, but who knows, a 4lb perch and 6lb+ chub could be right round the corner.

How's your season panned out??

flightliner

Reaction score
Early in the year a few pike with two twenties 23 and 25+. A few nice roach from the Trent, a days trout fishing when I had 70+ fish with two bests of 5-2 and 5-3.A barbel or two from a tiny notts stream.
A big catch of bream and roach in late march/early april that had flown under mosts radar, one or two crucians from a notts water.
Summertime bream to 14-3, tench to 9-8, then an enforced five week layoff.
September a few pike to 17plus and a few perch to 3-12 on micro jelly lures, several trips for barbel on the float with a double and numerous 9+fish (a very sad reflection of previous years).
A trip or two of late on the trent just hoping for whatever fancies maggot bait under a stick, waggler or feeder.
Before the season ends Hopefully some big pike, zander, chub and ----- hopefully----- a big roach (or two).:rolleyes:

B

binka

It's been a good 'un all things considered... I've had a couple of pb's, explored new methods and ticked most of my boxes although the big perch still eludes me.

Most of all I've really enjoyed my fishing and have some new goals to pursue which are not necessarily target driven such as a visit to Redmire next year.

I intend to get on the lower Derwent over the next week or so for a spot of grayling fishing and besides my own highs and lows one of the proudest moments was watching a mate, who I've taught from scratch to fish for and handle pike over the last couple of winters, lift his first ever twenty from the river.

It's never boring... :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Funny old year for me. After the floods for some reason the zander didn't want to play so I struggled through Feb and March. The spring tenching was distinctly average with carp following me about wherever I went.did OK on the trout but hardly fished all summer for a variety of reasons and am only really getting me head back on now. The zander fishing has started OK with at least a couple each trip but of no great size yet. I seem to be finding it harder and harder to find the time to go now....there has been no grayling trip to the Welsh Dee this year and not likely to be now. This winter will be zander as ever,a bit of dropshotting and maybe some barbel. I,d like to do more roach fishing but I just can't do it all.

Still.....I've broken no chairs yet so that's a bonus....or possibly normal.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
...there has been no grayling trip to the Welsh Dee this year and not likely to be now. ......

Whyever not? - It's nowhere near cold enough yet - give it another month it'll be getting nearer with rings icing-up etc. :eek:;):rolleyes:
Tight Lines!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Considering I've barely travelled more than fifteen miles, and refused to go anywhere I needed to pay a day ticket, it's not been a bad year at all. Plenty of fun on rivers and stillwaters, usually with nothing exceptional to show for it. I did manage to bag PB bream and perch. I also aimed to catch some barbel on the float, which I managed on more than one occasion. Wouldn't object to a two pound grayling to cap it all off nicely.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Compared to you guys not much, a PB Perch pushing 2lb from the Arrow, a couple of Chub (2-3lb) and a Bream around 1.5lb out of the Salwarpe (the first decent fish that seem to have come out in a while at Hawford Bridge). Also finally caught a Carp from the pools I fish in Wales after trying for close on three years (even if it only weighed about 3lb it's one of a very few Carp that have genuinely made me happy)

So, for Sunday, a 3lb Grayling and a 2lb Roach will do very nicely thank you:rolleyes::)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Had an OK year, nothing special, plenty of fish, but the carp have been a pain in the backside.

Targeting the Tench and Bream, Carp showed up time and time again.

The rivers should be just about right now, (for me anyway) and the piking is about to start.

Still trying for that PB Roach, :eek::eek:mg: