Are we heading for more floods?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fishing yesterday the river was very swollen. More rain today and all through the week. Does'nt bode well. This is just the beginning of winter, How long before the ground becomes saturated again and then we have all the wetter months to come.
I have a bad feeling we could be heading for some bad floods like last year.

greenie62

Reaction score
Looks like the 'once-in-a-hundred-years-flood' phenomena may become an annual event! :eek::eek:;):rolleyes:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Doubtless we are, but then it happened every winter in the days before 24-hour rolling news and piggybacking faux-outraged politicians. "February Fill-dike" was just one term traditionally used by English Country people, folk who were used to being perpetually cold and / or wet.

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West...."

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ground water levels in my neck of the woods are still well down. Many of the local gravel pits give a very good indication. Most are still one to three feet off being full. All of that is in spite of the local rivers currently being well up on summer levels and, since october, up and down like the proverbial lady of negotiable affection's underwear.

Almost inevitably, we'll see flooding somewhere in the UK this winter. The fact that so many flood plains have been built on pretty much ensures it, even without particularly exceptional weather events.

B

binka

The rivers in my neck of the woods have risen significantly for the first time this autumn at just about the same time as last year when we didn't see the bank topping floods of previous years but the river remained consistently high pretty much throughout and provided me with some very good fishing, i'll be happy for a repeat of that.

cg74

Reaction score
Fishing yesterday the river was very swollen. More rain today and all through the week. Does'nt bode well. This is just the beginning of winter, How long before the ground becomes saturated again and then we have all the wetter months to come.
I have a bad feeling we could be heading for some bad floods like last year.

Without being pedantic, the wettest two months of the year in England are historically October and November. Ground water levels are still low in most areas.
Yes of course flooding is possible, actually inevitable, both sustained and flash, but I won't start worrying about that right now.

theartist

Reaction score
My local Colne is well low and clear still as is the Lea(as usual), I for one wouldn't mind the rain like we had last year as it made the small rivers a joy to fish round here.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Doubtless we are, but then it happened every winter in the days before 24-hour rolling news and piggybacking faux-outraged politicians. "February Fill-dike" was just one term traditionally used by English Country people, folk who were used to being perpetually cold and / or wet.

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West...."

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....

Led Zepelin Stairway to heaven one of the most iconic songs of all time ..

PG

barbelboi

Reaction score
I agree with Colin - also we desperately need more rain in this area to top up the levels...................

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Of course we are, it happens almost every year. Hopefully the mistakes that lead to the Somerset floods won't be repeated but, it's the nature of rivers.

Stu

Reaction score
Back to Bulgaria this weekend - was very lucky in August as it was stonkingly hot....whilst every month of the year prior and every month since has had at least one Code Red water event in regions of Bulgaria. It has been the wettest year on record for most of Eastern Europe. Noticed that the day I'm arriving is down for another Code Red deluge - I've only a 250k drive from the airport....but the next day is not so bad!

Still - the black lager will be being brewed now so I can top up supplies and get plenty in store for those arid months when all you've got is the palid stuff at 80p for 3 litres. Life can be so harsh!

(Code Red = sh*t hitting fan with knobs on weather!, Code Orange - just the end of the world as we know it - quite chipper in Bulgarian terms)

Last edited: