Steel Heads vs Mahseer vs Muskies vs......

Reaction score
I have a 'big birthday' coming up in a few years and I'm considering a bit of a fishing adventure overseas as a treat.

But where to go and what to fish for? There's so much choice.

Steel heads, salmon and muskies in N.America?

Mahseer in India?

Deep sea fishing for massive tuna near Capetown?

Bone fish in the Bahamas?

Any other ideas?

Where to go and where to start?

Should I plan it myself or go with one of the many companies that organise this sort of trip?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There is always that aquarium fishing in Thailand Matt.

Apparently you can catch all sorts of fish that are not indigenous to that area (?) . . . . . although for the life of me I cannot see one good reason why anyone would want to.

If it were me (and noting I did the Mahseer thing many years ago) then I would opt for the Bahamas for the Bonefish remembering that there are many more species to go for when there.

Bahamas Bonefishing

Fishing | The Official Site of The Bahamas

There are pros and cons for both booking yourself versus a package, so really that is an individual choice.

Don't forget also that "Uncle Dave" has been down that way a lot so should be able to advise you . . . . . and didn't 'Spiders go last time too?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Sturgeon on the Frazer River, British Columbia, Canada - that would be among my labours. Sure, it would be an ordeal but I think I could manage....:)

Best of luck with whatever path you take. Will we get to read about it??

Reaction score
Unc is in the Bahamas now Peter - Spiders stayed home to blank on Cheshire Meres instead:)

I do believe that if you fish the Thai 'swimming pool' then you can hook huge beasts such as the Mekong Catfish, but you simply hand your rod to one of your Thai 'helpers' and let him do all the hard work playing the fish for an hour while you sit back in your deck chair and have a nap in the sun. Once the fish is in you simply jump into the water and cradle the huge fish for your trophy shot.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sounds like you might need a vital accessory for all of them.

410359645.jpg

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So much fishing, so little time, I'm happy with the tope in Cardigan bay but I always have been easily pleased.

nicepix

Reaction score
Unc is in the Bahamas now Peter - Spiders stayed home to blank on Cheshire Meres instead:)

I do believe that if you fish the Thai 'swimming pool' then you can hook huge beasts such as the Mekong Catfish, but you simply hand your rod to one of your Thai 'helpers' and let him do all the hard work playing the fish for an hour while you sit back in your deck chair and have a nap in the sun. Once the fish is in you simply jump into the water and cradle the huge fish for your trophy shot.

I have a mate who's fished those type of places for carp and catfish. Apparently if a large fish goes under someone else's line you pass your rod to them and take theirs. A bit like when we used to fish six to a boat off Whitby :D He also used to go to BC to fly-fish for salmon. Catching a tonne a day was not uncommon. Another mate who used to fish with us was totally the opposite. He'd research new places and go off for a couple of weeks at a time armed with a five weight fly rod. He's been all over the world to remote places and caught fish I've never heard of.

As for your bucket list; have you read Clive Gammon's "I know a good place" [/I or Zane Grey's "Tales of freshwater fishing"? Both are inspirational and written by anglers who put recording the fishing and environmental experience above trumpeting their own achievements.

Reaction score
Sounds like you might need a vital accessory for all of them.

410359645.jpg

I'm using those tomorrow to pop up dead baits :)

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

As for your bucket list; have you read Clive Gammon's "I know a good place" [/I or Zane Grey's "Tales of freshwater fishing"? Both are inspirational and written by anglers who put recording the fishing and environmental experience above trumpeting their own achievements.

I haven't read those books, but I'll take a look. Christmas is coming!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Tarat must also be an Arsenal back four player. Arsenal's back four is the dictionary definition of "spreading malformation." :wh :eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Tarat must also be an Arsenal back four player. Arsenal's back four is the dictionary definition of "spreading malformation."

Doh!

Shows how little you and your lot know about footie . . . . that is Taarabt the (allegedly) overweight and lazy QPR player that 'Arry keeps on going on about . . . . . . .

In fact I'm surprised he left Tottering Hotspurs as it seems he has all the pedestrian characteristics to have fitted-in very well there . . . . . .

[insert whistling smiley thang ?> > > > H E R E ]