Go Fishing Forum Closure

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This forum has just been shut down without any warning. No chance to finish of any threads and conversations or say farewell. It had been declining in respect of usage for some time. They have stated it will be closed for the foreseeable future, possibly some months; that changes will be made but, no assurance if there will still be a forum.. Its a shame to just close down a forum like this. It was once one of the most popular. It was one of the first I joined.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is always sad to see a fishing forum having to shut its doors for whatever reason.

In my experience on FM it usually results in many new members arriving here but wrongly thinking that they can keep their old arguments going, but just on a new vehicle. (see Barbel Wars, Mk I through 27 . . . . . . )

So, I reckon it will be a busy time for us moderators . . . . again

Hope I am wrong

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
This forum has just been shut down withoiut any warning. No chance to finish of any threads and conversations or say farewell...........

Has it definitely gone? All I got was a
500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.
Which could just be what it says - an error?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Has it definitely gone? All I got was a
Which could just be what it says - an error?

It has closed Greenie, the message I got was "the forum will be closed for the foreseeable. There are no plans at the moment to bring it back.
Changes to the website are being made"

A bit enigmatic and unclear. The forum was just there one day, gone the next.

The internal error notice 500 is all anyone gets if trying to log on to the forum.

So, I posted this to see if anyone had any more information and/or to say goodbye.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
aaah Gofishing was a wonderful site

I just looked at some google cached web pages to get my sig back and there is a social group on here Mark for ex members , its a bit like an ex pats club.

well here it is the world's greatest sig , all my own drunken work

Of course the conclusion is that if there is no God head , no guiding hand , no mystical force , then we are all automata clinging to a rock , whizzing through space ,hurtling and clinging on to some God forsaken ride, chemical accidents , accidentally chemically aware , peeking at conciousness , trapped like rats in a rat trap.

MRWELL

Reaction score
Pete,no need to worry about any old scores coming here from that site,what was ''problems'' on there have long been sorted out.
I like Mark Moderated on that site and only a few weeks ago was told by the site Admin that there was no closer or anything else in the pipe line for the GF site,then without warning it gets pulled off the net,it was in a right mess before all this i might add but what few members we had still gave it a shot but i said it was a forlorn hope to keep it going and only a matter of time before it was pulled for good but i did expect better than we got in the end.
If the site is being upgraded then why not tell it's members?..i think the video and other side of the site is whats going to change but the forum will not be back,i put a article on there about pole fishing for beginners and now that has gone,it took some time to put that together i might add so you can guess i am not a happy chappy,i should have saved it i know but i never thought it would be closed without warning like it has been,i can't remember if i put that article on here at some point,if so it is well off the pages now,i have lost interest after all this in fishing forums,to put so much of your time into something then get it taken off you like it means nothing just gives you a ''why bother attitude'' i will keep looking in here to see if i can get that ''drive'' back..heres hoping.

Stan.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
its a good point Stan if all that vast fishing knowledge has been losts

Last edited:

MRWELL

Reaction score
Yes Benny,it is a shame if all that knowledge has been lost off that site,it had so much on there that many top guys put on and now it has gone,i have contacted Admin to see if i can get more information but i am not holding my breath for a reply back,i did have some friends on that site and now i have lost the lot because of no contact details,i know it is my own fault but did anyone know it was going to be pulled so quick like it has been.

Stan.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yes Benny,it is a shame if all that knowledge has been lost off that site,it had so much on there that many top guys put on and now it has gone,i have contacted Admin to see if i can get more information but i am not holding my breath for a reply back,i did have some friends on that site and now i have lost the lot because of no contact details,i know it is my own fault but did anyone know it was going to be pulled so quick like it has been.

Stan.

Hi Mr Well, although I did not ask the question about losing posts I have received this message:-

"All the content is still there, it is not lost so if in the future we decide to bring back the forum, it can be – all I have to do is turn it back on again"

Its all a bit enigmatic, one message saying the forum will not be back and then it can be turned on again at the press of a button.
I found it shameful to just switch it off without any warning, a weeks notice would have been proper, a very shabby way to treat people. Even the moderators did not have any warning ! And its all very odd, mixed messages !

You may well remember the time we discussed the copy right law. It is stated that anything original, published on the internet belongs to the author, they have the copy right. How that translate to a forum, I do not know. I would find it an interesting case if it was ever challenged in a court. By the by. One for the legal eagles.

I would ask for a copy of your pole thread, seems they have not deleted everything. Something you have spent time, money (it costs money to use the internet) and put you heart into, to be lost at the whim of some one else, is not a nice feeling, I know ! And so do you. !

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
It is always sad to see a fishing forum having to shut its doors for whatever reason........

While looking back at other Forum closures I found that one site on which a recent closure was being discussed by 'ex-pats' had a post from the Administrator closing the discussion thread:
With respect to your concerns, I dont pay for bandwidth here to discuss the loss of a forum that was set up to compete with ....
It is encouraging to see that FM has not resorted to such an attitude at the demise of another forum! ;)

MRWELL

Reaction score
Hi Mr Well, although I did not ask the question about losing posts I have received this message:-

"All the content is still there, it is not lost so if in the future we decide to bring back the forum, it can be – all I have to do is turn it back on again"

Its all a bit enigmatic, one message saying the forum will not be back and then it can be turned on again at the press of a button.
I found it shameful to just switch it off without any warning, a weeks notice would have been proper, a very shabby way to treat people. Even the moderators did not have any warning ! And its all very odd, mixed messages !

You may well remember the time we discussed the copy right law. It is stated that anything original, published on the internet belongs to the author, they have the copy right. How that translate to a forum, I do not know. I would find it an interesting case if it was ever challenged in a court. By the by. One for the legal eagles.

I would ask for a copy of your pole thread, seems they have not deleted everything. Something you have spent time, money (it costs money to use the internet) and put you heart into, to be lost at the whim of some one else, is not a nice feeling, I know ! And so do you. !
Hi Mark.
you seem to have more information than i do,i only had one email message about the closer of the site,no mention about things still being there or started back up at a push of a button.
Like i said i am not happy at the way we have been treated by those in power on that site,as for copy rights,i don't think i will bother,i do have access to another version of that thread that i made on another site so i can always use that if need be,anyway it was nice wile it lasted.

Stan.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hi Mark.
you seem to have more information than i do,i only had one email message about the closer of the site,no mention about things still being there or started back up at a push of a button.
Like i said i am not happy at the way we have been treated by those in power on that site,as for copy rights,i don't think i will bother,i do have access to another version of that thread that i made on another site so i can always use that if need be,anyway it was nice wile it lasted.

Stan.

I sent a email and got a enigmatic reply-. A shame really but, then You and I often said if the forum was not used it might close down and no one took any notice much except for a few..
A message of intention and a thank you wouldn't have hurt..
Your right though Mr Well, time to move on, whats done is done. There are greener fields------. all the best, Mark.

---------- Post added at 08:21 ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 ----------

While looking back at other Forum closures I found that one site on which a recent closure was being discussed by 'ex-pats' had a post from the Administrator closing the discussion thread:
It is encouraging to see that FM has not resorted to such an attitude at the demise of another forum! ;)

I see the Administrator's point Greenie however, I have never let protocol get in the way of a good story. that's why I am so popular ! (smile)

And a big bonus for the FM administrators and members which I am sure they are over moon about-is I will be able to spend more time on FM with my intelligent, incisive questions and my well researched, reasonable, irrefutable arguments; not to mention my charm and good humour. I might just stick to guest appearances and I should ask for wages.

Last edited:

mike47

Reaction score
I joined GoFishing at the end of last year and the advice and support I received from the members was terrific. It made my intro into coarse fishing much more fun and I picked up a lot of information that is serving me well now. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed this site, but I'm sorry to see it's demise. Cheers Stan and all.. Mike.... (Clyde).

MRWELL

Reaction score
Your welcome Mike,it was always a job well done to help members out who joined,added you to my friends list as well,although i joined here more than 7 years ago now i have not used it that much,so i have no idea how the members on this site go about posting things.
It is well known we had a very open site and things were allowed that maybe should not have been,obviously we are now on another site that has it's own rules and ways of doing things and for that reason it might be best to walk before we run,i know a few members on here from way back and i wonder just how they will react to me being on here more,if it becomes a problem then i want hang around,last thing i want is more problems.
Mike it was a pleasure helping you and i hope we can carry on in the same way on here,now were are the others :wh

maverick 7

Reaction score
As A moderator on GF I received an EMail about the closure of the site and to say I was gobsmacked is an understatement so I replied with a strong worded EMail about the way the GF forum was closed.....it was a disgrace what they did....they couldn't be even bothered to reply and offer some kind of an explanation....but then again, why should they, they simply don't give a to$$.

We had been on there for quite a few years and never had the chance to say goodbye....really selfish decision in my opinion.

...but if any of my old mates on there are reading this other than Benny, Mark and Stan....all the best for the future and try to keep in touch on this site if you can....maybe we can arrange a get together for next summer somewhere on a nice fishery where even I might possibly, if I'm lucky enough....catch something.

All the best to you all...it has been great knowing you.

Maverick

no-one in particular

Reaction score
As A moderator on GF I received an EMail about the closure of the site and to say I was gobsmacked is an understatement so I replied with a strong worded EMail about the way the GF forum was closed.....it was a disgrace what they did....they couldn't be even bothered to reply and offer some kind of an explanation....but then again, why should they, they simply don't give a to$$.

We had been on there for quite a few years and never had the chance to say goodbye....really selfish decision in my opinion.

...but if any of my old mates on there are reading this other than Benny, Mark and Stan....all the best for the future and try to keep in touch on this site if you can....maybe we can arrange a get together for next summer somewhere on a nice fishery where even I might possibly, if I'm lucky enough....catch something.

All the best to you all...it has been great knowing you.

Maverick

Yes, it was very bad to do that, not even a weeks warning and not even a thank you to the moderators for your services etc. Not a big deal with me but, it would have been polite. Plus, I and several others were in mid conversations, it would have been nice to have been able to conclude those conversations. Plus it would have been nice to have the chance to say goodbye properly. Just a weeks notice, that's all it would have took.
I have not got over how bad this was and I don't think I ever will.

MRWELL

Reaction score
Hi Jack,nice to see you mate,yes it was a bad way to go about things and i will not forget how they did this,yes there was problems with low user in put but you dont just pull the plug like that without warning,so much has been lost and although they say it is archived,what good is that if we can not read it or add to it all.
I was given assurances that the site was safe only a few weeks before all this from Admin,so you can imagine just how i felt when it was pulled,if it was just for a site re-furb i could understand it but thats not the case,the site is closed for good,i think it had a membership of around 30 plus thousand on the books although only a handful used the site but no one (only staff) had a message about the closer of the site (but no reasons given) so all those people count for nothing in there eyes,i for one will not buy another Angling Times or anything else that i know is run by them,they don't deserve a penny of my money and thats it.:mad:

MRWELL

Reaction score
Can i just say a big thank you to those who have contacted me on here,Chris,Mike,Jack,Mark,Mike (thats another) and anyone else who has come off the GF site to here :thumbs: