Nostalgia, is it a thing of the past?

F

Fred Bonney

I've just gone & done it.

I've bought on ebay the first proper fishing rod I ever had, £17.49 including postage.

It's a Dawsons of Bromley Dal-Monti 3 piece 10'6'', split cane with a fibreglass top section.

Needs a bit of TLC

Am I just a bit daft,or have any of you done the same?

I've just got to find a Bruce & Walker Mark IV CT carp rod and I have them all.

Reels next, Intrepid Monarch anybody?

J K

Reaction score
Are you going to go the whole hog Fred and get the haircut and glasses of the time? /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

I may try and regain my1960's body again first, John./forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The Bruce & Walker will be a glass rod Fred. The company that made Mk IVs was B James.

Nostalgia - it is places that do it for me rather than items of tackle. Maybe one day I can standby "The Lake at the top of the Mountain", a lake of some 100 acres at an altitude of 7000 feet, set in a Tolkienish landscape and full of wild rainbow trout that breed in the crystal clear feeder stream.

Or the wild roaring river as it passesby a town called "Hotazel",full of mighty catfish and golden bronze Barbus species that look a little like Mahseer.

And to sit under the acacias with the meat sizzling on an ironwood fire, listening to the call of the fish eagle with an ice cold can of beer in your hands amongst friends, who alas are now long dead!

F

Fred Bonney

I know Ron, I had one!

B&W Mark IV Carp Rod Compound Taper,2 piece glass,sold it on ebay!!!!

As for places, there are so many, and they will alwaysremain in my mind, until such time that it doesn't matter.

As do friends past, present and no longer.

Despite the alcohol!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You been on the whisky again Ron?

When you get as old as me you only have nostalgia for company but I've never had a hankering for olde worlde tackle, I have enough problems with the modern stuff thankyou..

S

STEVE POPE

Hi Fred,

Not daft at all, I remember having the Monarch as well, couldn't afford an Elite back in those days!

Stillhave the Peter Stone Legerstrike rod from around '64 I think which I class as the rod that sowed the seeds.

The first rod I received as a Christmas present back in '63 was demolished by our retriever puppy twenty five years ago but I've stillkept the butt section.

My very first rod was a tank aerial and that has long since gone.

My first proper reel I had is still used to this day, a centrepin of course, a Rapidex still as good as new after nearly forty five years!

Regards haircut and glasses, nothing has ever changed has it Fred?!!!/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Nostalgia rules.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Hi Fred

I certainly get nostalgic, both as regards tackle, and venues.

As regards tackle I'm on the lookout for a Mitchell 301, I had one that served me well for nearly 30 years before the gears finally packed in.

As for venues, I fish the Macclesfieldcanal fairly regularly these days, the first place I ever fished. It was very special last Saturday when I finally caught a good fish from there, a 2.12 Perch.

Nostalgia does indeed rule!

F

Fred Bonney

Ric there's one for spares going for £8

I haven't got around to my 300 or 410 yet!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Have a word with Spiders he's got some 300s .........

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Fred, I am both lucky and sad that I still have, and fished with earlier this season, my first rod and reel. The rod was a 10ft 6" Forshaws of Liverpool Palace B rod, whole cane with a fibreglass tip. The reel was a "Little Kraka" centre pin.

I used when I went back to fish on the Shropshire Union Canal for the first time in June- a venue I haven't fished for 30 years. And I caught a few perch, roach and a Billy Ruffe using it with one of my original 'porky pine' quill floats.

Do you know what? It gave me more pleasure to catch in that manner with that tackle than it would have had I chosen to use my 14.5 mpole.

Nostalgia Fred, its the future you know...

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Oh and for what is worth I have recently gone back to using my old Mitchell 300 for roach fishing! I get far less tangles with that than I do with modern reels. Is it because the bale arm rotates in the opposite direction to modern reels like the Shimano?

Improved line lay?

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Intrepid Monarch? Your about 15 years too late Fred, I gave the one I had to a 'young lad' about 20 years ago.

T

Tony Rocca

Fred,

I have the mkiv carp..... mint, as new, hardly used (dont think I could bring myself to sell it)and I think Scottie has the Monarch that was Peter Stones.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Tony, you've also got another rod at my house with some runner beans growing up it/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

T

Tony Rocca

Whoops, so I have Mike........... I must get over for it soon.

F

Fred Bonney

Tony, I did sell mine, still with the plasticwrap around the butt, and the original bag.

(I had lost the butt rubber though)

Ihave regreted it ever since.

So, don't.