Good Oil Hemp seed Oil - Is it that good ?

magicone

Reaction score
Read an article using as suggested 'Good Oil Hemp seed oil', this being £6.00 on the Supermarket shelves.

Is it really that good to use with various baits and ground baits etc.

Thanks

lambert1

Reaction score
Hemp oil can be very good, on the right venue. The Good Oil from the supermarket certainly beat the hell out of paying bait company prices for what is essentially less of the same stuff repackaged for a lot more money.

Pure Hemp Oil - 250ml Tub - Sticky Baits | eBay

DNA Baits Hemp Oil 250ml - Ted Carter

Could you expand on that a bit Sam. I bought a bottle a few months ago, but have not as yet done anything with it. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Could you expand on that a bit Sam. I bought a bottle a few months ago, but have not as yet done anything with it. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.:)

The two ways I have used it are as follows:

Added to a particle spod mix. Added to PVA bags of pellet, stick mix etc (especially in winter) for an added attraction boost without any added food value.

barbelboi

Reaction score
It can also be added to a piece of sponge cut to wedge into a feeder (as can any liquid flavour) for attraction without feeding in winter......

peterjg

Reaction score
Good Oil from Sainsburys. I have one of those small pots with 4 clips, pour in about a quarter inch of hemp oil then add 3 drops of geranium oil - the 2 oils mix well, then put in the pot 3 folded pieces of kitchen roll which will soak up all of the oil. Just prior to putting bread flake on your hook squeeze the soaked kitchen roll between finger and thumb then put the flake on the hook. THe oil will be transferred to the flake - mainly used for roach but it will also catch other species - I am sure that it is better than plain bread flake!

I've used the oil in ground baits but not sure if it made any difference?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Top Thread, this ! Good to see a new subject with some excellent answers..

I was thinking of trying some mixed in some very soft paste for roach fishing ??

I haven't used geranium oil before - where do you get it from ??

lambert1

Reaction score
There are plenty of companies that sell it as an essential oil on ebay Tony. Whether it is of the same quality/source as that sold by tackle companies I cannot say, but there is quite a choice out there.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You can always use fake bread, and dip it in the Hemp oil.

The fake bread will take on a little of the oil, plus fake bread doesn't come off as normal bread.

I add the water from cooking hemp to my ground bait, does it work ?? hard to tell, as sometimes i have caught when using it. Other times I haven't used it and still caught.:eek:

peterjg

Reaction score
I buy geranium oil from eBay. Be careful when using it for roach, it is very potent.

Ray mentioned using fake bread. I have never used it - what make should I buy? Thanks.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I buy geranium oil from eBay. Be careful when using it for roach, it is very potent.

Ray mentioned using fake bread. I have never used it - what make should I buy? Thanks.

I use Enterprise fake bread. It is buoyant, so I fix a small shot at the top of the hook to help sink it. This is covered by the fake bread.

It's great for floater fishing also.

ken more

Reaction score
I use this sometimes. I pour some into a smaller plastic bottle and keep it in the tackle bag to use when i want to try something when things are difficult. I can't say it has made much difference but it may have put the odd fish on the bank when things were tough, i just don't know for sure. :)

wes79

Reaction score
Read an article using as suggested 'Good Oil Hemp seed oil', this being £6.00 on the Supermarket shelves.

Is it really that good to use with various baits and ground baits etc.

Thanks

I met a guy on the Tame this year who swore by it.

High in Omega 3,6&9 and its cold pressed so doesn't contain all the hexane residues that normal frying oils contain (that's the strange dull shrinking slick that lasts a few seconds after adding it to a hot frying pan).

Ive bought it before now, its nice drizzled on young mixed salad leaves which have been topped by a light seasoning of finely ground sea salt, a tad expensive at £6 for 500ml and would mean the Chub would be better fed than I.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
I know its hassle.... but I do do it... after boiling a few pints of hemp, I loosely strain the majority of the seeds.. let the liquor cool and then blitz in the liquidizer. I pour this into small pop bottles and freeze.

great for mixing ground baits.... or adding to bread mash.

Its far more complex than a pure oil extract.

Just a thought

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never used Help Oil in my ground baits but very often use either Geranium or Tangerine Oil in my punch crumb or bread baits.

I tend to only use continental mixes, and have done for many years, as I think most home made offerings are too rich in feed content and too light in attractants and stimulants.

I know many anglers prefer to make their own, but for me it is a continental mix every time and additional flavorings used rarely in those.

Just my view, others will have different ideas

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Personally I don't use any flavouring in my bait but I know many do and I respect their choice. However, I can't get my head round using a flavouring that floats to the surface the moment it is submerged in water?

Reaction score
Peter

In a turbulent river it doesn't just float to the surface immediately.

Imagine the 'oil' being absorbed by small particles of ground bait, which add life to a ground bait by trying to float, but because of turbulence get washed down stream to form an attractive scent trail. Depending on the buoyancy of the particles that have absorbed the oil, some my end up on the surface and some may not.