which Polaroid glasses...

wes79

Reaction score
As the title suggests, can you good folk please give a few name drops on your recommendations and why, also will Polaroids still keep the same effect when a pair of binoculars are used along side them.

cheers and beers!

B

binka

I've heard that Optilabs are very good if you've got the cash to splash, personally I'm still on a pair of £3.50 Aldi specials I bought way back last year and honestly cannot fault them.

Not sure about the bins question... Maybe if you hold the glasses in front of the magnifying lenses as opposed to wearing them perhaps?

Someone posted a picture some time ago using a phone or camera phone with polaroids held in front of it for a photo and it worked pretty well, iirc Sam Vimes?

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
As the title suggests, can you good folk please give a few name drops on your recommendations and why, also will Polaroids still keep the same effect when a pair of binoculars are used along side them.

cheers and beers!

They will not have the same effect when used alongside a pair of binoculars, you would actually have to look through them.

I would recommend Optilabs and have used them for years, they are dear though. I have the Ultra 2000 Drivewear lenses which are polarised and photo-chromic as well. The lens doesn't just darken but changes hue.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... personally I'm still on a pair of £3.50 Aldi specials I bought way back last year and honestly cannot fault them.

Not sure about the bins question... Maybe if you hold the glasses in front of the magnifying lenses as opposed to wearing them perhaps?

Someone posted a picture some time ago using a phone or camera phone with polaroids held in front of it for a photo and it worked pretty well, iirc Sam Vines?

Spot on Binka,
I use the Aldi specials too, with a spare pair kept in the car permanently - they are fine for just gazing round the fishery - I also use a pair of the Grandeslam wraparound polies with a clear inset +2 magnifying lens for adjusting rigs, baiting, etc.

The polarising lenses should be applied to the outside of the first lens element in another optical device - ie infront of the camera lens or binocs - so that the light entering the device is polarised for the desired effect.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've had Drivewear prescription lenses for a year or two now. I'll replace them should I need to update my prescription (I don't tend to break or lose glasses). I won't claim any special fish spotting powers, but a typical conversation when fish spotting in company usually goes something like this.

Me: There's two over there.
A.N. Other: Where?
Me: About ten o'clock, twenty yards or so travelling left to right.
A.N. Other: Can't see them.
Me: About eleven o'clock now, slightly closer.
A.N. Other: Are you sure?
Me: Twelve o'clock, ten yards now.
A.N. Other: Oh yeah, so there is.
Me: There's three more coming in from the right. Two o'clock, twenty five yards or so.
A.N. Other: No, can't see them. Are you sure?

and repeat.

Someone posted a picture some time ago using a phone or camera phone with polaroids held in front of it for a photo and it worked pretty well, iirc Sam Vimes?

You've got a memory like an elephant. Took me quite a while just to dig it out.
410486767.jpg

wes79

Reaction score
Lovely pic Sam!

the £3.50 Aldi's sound like my sort of price lol, I will at least look at the others as they sound amazing, cheers!

john step

Reaction score
If you have perfect vision fine then Poloroids are great as sunglasses. If you wear glasses all the time try the " clip over your glasses" type.
They work well over my vari foculs.

terry m

Reaction score
Agree John. And for me the "Polaroid" brand (as opposed to simply polarising lenses) is very difficult to beat.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have a pair of ESP glasses, and they are pretty good.

I think they cost about £12...

I can't justify spending loads on polarised glasses, as I often loose or damage them.

B

binka

I can't justify spending loads on polarised glasses, as I often loose or damage them.

Those are exactly the problems I have.

I once spent sixty five quid (expensive for me) on a pair of sunglasses from Boots in Penzance as I was doing a spot of fishing off the rocks at Pemberth whilst on holiday and I'd lost them by the end of the day :eek:mg:

Lesson learned :rolleyes: