Sports Aids for anglers

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Are there any more of you who suffer like me? I don't mean from being nagged by the wife, don't we all? Nor do I mean from not having enough cash, commonproblem!

No, I suffer from acute pain in the elbow, wrist and shoulder, as well as the back, and this is now beginning to affect my fishing. It is obviously worse when I'm hooked into a decent carp of barbel. I have surgical aids for these joints but they are a little too tight and not very flexible.

Does anyone know of any sports aids made from lighter materials which might help me continue to enjoy my fishing?

Thanks,

Don

W

Wolfman Woody

For the elbow, I bought a sleeve thing from Boots in neoprene (wasn't cheap - £12 I think), but where it ends on either end, there's a fold over and it's sewn. It hurt like hell after a while being that much tighter and cut the blood supply to my hand.

I thought about it and decided that the material was bonded to the neoprene anyway so I cut off the seams on either ends. PERFECT.

Comfortable and does the job a treat now.

Wrist - take up drumming - good exercise.

Shoulder - Deep Heat

Back - Co-codamol from the chemists.

OR

Take up roach fishing.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Woody, wish i could take up drumming but i have no musical talent at all!

I'm already on the strongest painkillers allowed because of my back, co-codamol are no better than Smarties for me!

Love Roach fishing, packed my Roach rod and Centrepin for tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice.

Don

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I tried the Elbow Supports recently, when I had Tennis Elbow. I found them to be restrictive and uncomfortable. Fortunately for me my G.P. gave me a Tennis Elbow Injection. This hurt like hell for about 3 days, on day 4 I woke up and the pain had completely gone. I celebrated with a days Roach fishing and had a blinder. I hope you have the same. Good day that is, not Tennis Elbow.

Tight lines.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
I had the injections some years ago when the condition first arose, hydrochortisone ones I believe. They did hurt and worked for about six months but my doctor thinks I've had enough for the time being!

Crap days fishing today, not a bite!

Don

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Don,

I had similar injections twice a week back in '98 just so I could continue to play golf.

I was in Canada working in Alberta (great fishing but even better golf courses b.t.w.) and found them very effective, not pleasant though.

Some of the 'Oilers' ice hockey players were having up to 9 injections a week just so thay could carry on playing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Emu Oil!!!

Some time ago I got some genuine Australian Emu Oil from Graham that took away the pain of tennis elbow I used to getfly casting.

This stuff is made in a place called "Walkabout Creek", which is near Alice Springs in the Northern Territory. Real Australian Emus are shot and then rendered down in huge vats to get at the prized oil. Emu oil became famous amongst Australian tennis players for curing tennis elbow. Shane Warne used it for rubbing into his joints before a test match. Look how effective it was for him.

I don't know if Graham has any Oz Emu oil left as my bottle has nearly run out.

No worries mates!!