What stops you fishing ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
In my case nothing much has ever stopped me fishing, I always worked hard and I always fished for Specimen fish.

Why is it these days, you so often here people say they are too busy to fish.

Bob

C

chefster

Nothing really stops me fishing,my work and home life allow getting out on 2-3 matches a week..but i can understand how people can be too busy,maybe with work,family,or short on funds..Obviously if i,m required to do extra hours at work,then that could be classed as being too busy,but that would only be short term..I suppose really adverse weather could stop me fishing,it has in the past,when lakes are frozen etc..Gazza

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not much stops me fishing these days. However, if anything will, it'll be a lack of finances or really windy conditions, I hate fishing in wind. However, it's not unreasonable to find those with jobs and families saying that they're too busy. I'm sure a portion of them could probably make time, if they really wanted to, but some would be in deep clag if they disregarded their jobs or families just to go fishing.

aebitim

Reaction score
Time, going fishing is more than walking out the door and fishing, for me to fish these days is a quick trip somewhere that has to be booked in advance, easy enough for me to sea fish from the island but to set myself into the fishing I know and love just aint happening.

nicepix

Reaction score
I have less free time now than when I worked full time. I do one full day and two half days working and most weeks one full day in the garden. Then add on decorating and helping friends with jobs and looking after their houses while they are away. I usually manage at least one full day and a short session most weeks. However, the last two or three weeks have been curtailed to short sessions only due to commitments.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Apathy, lethargy, weather, funds, moonphase, atmospheric pressure, forgetting to buy bread, neurasthenia, petrol prices, a sneaky suspicion that the fish aren't in the mood for some daft git to come along and booby-trap their lunch; too wet to risk my bamboos, can't find the box with the right floats/ reel with the right line (etc.), Dad's taxi duties; do you want the full list of excuses or just a sample?

This evening I shall mos'ly be trying to force my sorry donkey (dictionary definition) through the door in hopes of finding Warburton's white at the local inconvenience store, but the need to make much soup tomorrow may well interfere. The suspense is - well, if I'm honest, rather boring.

terry m

Reaction score
Work is both an enabler and a roadblock at different times.

Also other pastimes and interests that may not usurp fishing, but come damned close.

Do I spend a lot of time fishing? Yes

Do I spend enough time fishing? Probably not.

john step

Reaction score
Not much stops me. Snowed in a couples of winters ago did though.
If normal domestic duties interfere I just fish the following day.

BarryC

Reaction score
Now I'me retired nothing much stops me.
I allways did believe that you go to work to enable you to do the things you want to.
To stop doing the things you want to to go to work seems all wrong.

thecrow

Reaction score
Only thing that stops me is my health although I do persist, finding somewhere with quality of fish I would like to fish for has become increasingly more difficult, by that I don't just mean size of fish although that is still important to me but the quality/condition of the fish is just as important as are the surroundings I can fish in.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
The cost of Petrol....I used to think nothing of a 150 + mile round trip to my favourite catfish venue , but the high cost of fuel and increasing season ticket costs make me think twice now..

The rain.. last season my pike fishing on the Stour was ruined by the rain , one of my back up club lakes was also unfishable due to flood for months .

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Only the weather, and that has to be pretty bad !!

Obviously other matters such as home life need to be considered, but generally speaking I can go pretty much when I want to although I know that I need to have a break over the course of a week, if only to regroup and get the gear order and prepare bait etc. For me, a day away from the bank serves to re-fire the body, and the enthusiasm fresh
Apart from anything else I know I, or we, have a home to run and that takes time and effort so we tend to sort the 'jobs' together and this gives us both maximum free time, both as a couple and as individuals.

It's all in the planning, so for example, having sorted the house chores today I can be off am tomorrow for a 5 hour session but home again for afternoon tea with the wife......

As far as I'm concerned we can all become stale in outlook, or forget to give due consideration to a partner or wife, so enjoyment together and outside fishing is both critical and necessary and I wouldn't want it any other way!!

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I can generally fish a Sunday (or Saturday if agreed in advance) When both of you work there are always things that need to be done over a weekend, it was easier when SWMBO did more fishing herself:wh

fruitowl

Reaction score
work. working Tuesday through till Saturday nights. by the time I get up Sunday to late and on Mon / Tuesday doing the jobs I can't do in the week.
the last 12 months have been destroyed by my hip problem which will be resolved next year hopefully

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Cold.... too hot.... and strong winds.

I don't care about the rain, in fact on occasion I enjoy it, especially since Binka put FM onto the TFG Poncho.

B

binka

Cold.... too hot.... and strong winds.

I don't care about the rain, in fact on occasion I enjoy it, especially since Binka put FM onto the TFG Poncho.

It's a good job I like you all Merv otherwise I'd have recommended their canvas upper boots (of which I have a pair) instead :eek:mg:

:D

sagalout

Reaction score
The weather, since I fish for pleasure and can fish when ever I want I don't do constant rain, strong winds or cold. I tend to work in the house during the weather I don't want to sit outside in and then fish in the better weather.