reel for scope rod

shakey1

Reaction score
Hi what reels do people use with the scope rod? I was thinking something like Daiwa windcast, or would they be to big?:)

Last edited:

shakey1

Reaction score
I just ordered the new cork handle scope in 2.2tc just waiting for it to come in stock.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I just ordered the new cork handle scope in 2.2tc just waiting for it to come in stock.

I don't have the Scopes (or Dwarfs) but I've seen a few about. IMO, they, and most other short rods, look pretty daft with dirty great big pits on them. I wouldn't put anything bigger than baby big pits on them myself. The Windcasts are a pretty big reel, even the ones with smaller spools.

The fact that you've bought the 2.25lb TC might also suggest that you haven't bought the rod with huge ranges in mind. To that end, you probably don't need a big pit reel and may be better served with something significantly smaller. I know plenty of those that have followed the recent trend for short carp rods have often paired them with Daiwa SS2600s. However, others have dug out older standard Baitrunners that they've had lying around un(der)employed since the big pit arms race started.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
IMO, they, and most other short rods, look pretty daft with dirty great big pits on them. I wouldn't put anything bigger than baby big pits on them myself. The Windcasts are a pretty big reel, even the ones with smaller spools.

+1

A smaller set of shimmy baitrunners would be my choice. Reelly :D don't like the SS2600 reels, to me they feel a hint dated

sam vimes

Reaction score
Reelly :D don't like the SS2600 reels, to me they feel a hint dated

I don't understand the fuss over them either. I don't much care that they look dated, but I do feel that there are better performing reels for similar money, or less. I do wonder if the fact that they have quickfold handles does it for some of the more fashion conscious.;):wh

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have a set of 2.75 Dwarfs... I use Shimano 5000RE reels on them but as the Shimmies are over 12 years old I'll be updating them with a pair of Wychwood 55QD's

I tried a pair of Wychwood Riot 65 Big Pits and they looked a tad unbalanced I also tried a pair of Shimano 10000XTE and they were even worse... I saw a set of the 55QD's at the Brentwood show and they looked nice and compact, so that's next for me:thumbs:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I've just ordered a pair of Wychwood Solace Compact QD55's for my Dwarfs... I'll get em spooled up and on the rods as soon as they arrive... I fell in love with em at the Brentwood show... they were on a set of Dwarf's as a display and looked perfectly balanced... I got em for £69.99 each from Chapmans (list was £99, they were doing them for £84 and they price matched another offer.. Tackleup UK's)

dicky123

Reaction score
I like the Daiwa Theory sp. The Daiwa ss260 weigh 12oz and the Theory 17oz. However they are a strong, excellent reel. More expensive than the ss260 but in my view a better choice if the rods are 3lb t/c or more.

robtherake

Reaction score

Bear in mind if you want to use one of the Nash Dwarf/Scope rod bags, they're designed for short-bodied baby big pit reels and a standard rear drag reel (even 4000 size) won't even come close to fitting in. If the Wychwoods aren't any bigger than the Nash BP10 then they'll be OK.

seth49

Reaction score
Use a Shimano 4000 baitrunner on my dwarf rod. Seems just about the right size for them.
A 4000 aero would be nice.

mrfrosty

Reaction score
Just brought some daiwa cast'izm mini big pits for my 10 foot bank creepers. Same weight as my theory sp's but bigger spool which I find handy for casting Fluoro 60 yards to the far bank on a small lake I fish.

dicky123

Reaction score
Use what you have available, unless your buying a new reel anyway.

I own several and on the sawn-off 6' use a small 3000 size. On the 9' a 4000, really not rocket science.

The small size Daiwa 2600 size I think it's a 1600 looks ideal. But any 3000 to 4000 would fit the rod.

Even though the rods can cast a long way, most people are buying them for short range up to 60 yards or so, so why would you want a big reel for that. If you buy a scope for long range, in my humble view it's a mistake. A 12' would do a better job for all the obvious reasons. I use mine for stalking and that's all.

u_beaut1

Reaction score
Just get any old thing, Okumas are sound and epix v2s are solid quality for 40 quid, a 40 size would be the one. I have the 55 and they are very big and strong so I use them for sea fishing
Rods are far more important than reels in my opinion