fishing gloves

B

binka

Hmmm... Think I know where you're coming from Chris but they'd have to be very thin if full fingered, not sure how that would work with the heated bit but I'd be interested to know.

Some sort of technologically advanced latex or thin neoprene with heated filaments, small power source somewhere out of the way like on the back of the hand area or a chemical reaction maybe (there was some sort of pocket warmer type bags of dust that had a similar effect when mixed but I think they only worked the once)?

I'm nowhere near, am I? :D

Are you on to something... ?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have Raynaud's syndrome associated with rheumatoid arthritis but find the fingerless cycling gloves are godsend, so much so that I often forget I am wearing them.

As well as giving a surprising amount of warmth the padded palms and stretchy fabric also help with the arthritis providing good support and a little extra thickness when holding the rod handle.

laguna

Reaction score
Actually its on my 'wish list' has been for a number years :)
Normally if 'things' don't exist (unless someone knows differently?) then there's usually a very good reason for it - normally its because there's little demand or nobody's thought of it before? (highly unlikely).

Most likely its technically too challenging?

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

Thanks Titus Ive tried em but my fingers get cold all the same with fingerless.
I have no problem with palms and back of the hand getting cold just the fingers and thumbs, brought home again on Friday when spinning for 5 hours in a chill wind.... must be going soft! :D

sagalout

Reaction score
I used to wear heated gloves and waist coat on my 90 mile each way comute on the bike, Gialli I think was the make, the problem with the gloves was the elements would break because of the constant flexing and obviously being a bike glove there was no need for them to be thin.

There are a number of heated glove liners which would be thin but obviously not waterproof.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never worn gloves of any kind for my fishing.

What I do use however are hand-warmers and those are always in my pockets on a winter day on the bank.

I have a pair of the Zippo ones, one for each pocket and they are really very good i just leave them in my pockets and use when fingers are cold, in the meantime they warm up my jacket as well.

They are safe as there is no flame depending on using catalytic conversion.

I have also tried the disposable chemical ones but never found them to be as efficient as the Zippo ones.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

aebitim

Reaction score
Got a greys grx coat with extend warm hands things at the end of the sleeves, far better than enything else Ive ever used to keep my hands warm [the coat is pretty good as well], and if it gets really cold a hand warmer in the pocket is a winner, on the bike I use windshields made from cut down slug pellet containers and heated grips with normal gloves.

laguna

Reaction score
B

binka

Many years ago in the middle of a heatwave a work colleague showed me a trick of how to cool down and she told me to run the veins in my wrists under the cold tap for a couple of minutes.

I don’t know if it was physcological or not but it seemed to work and the theory stacked up so I reckon the same might work with heating up too as I use the tracker mitts and usually have the finger parts off whilst still retaining warm fingers… because the surface veins feeding them to the back of the hand are still covered and nicely warm?

Either way I rarely have a problem with cold fingers providing the backs of my hands are covered and warm.

greenie62

Reaction score
… because the surface veins feeding them to the back of the hand are still covered and nicely warm?
Either way I rarely have a problem with cold fingers providing the backs of my hands are covered and warm.

Hi Binka,
Like the theory - seems to work out too!
Another shout for Aldi - who were doing neoprene fishing gloves at the end of last summer - they were about £6.99 when I got a pair - full gloves BUT with velcro foldback tips for thumb & forefinger!
Just dug them out this last week after my knitted fingerless 'Fagin' gloves got soaked - the Aldi ones are a vast improvement - only drawback - so far - the added thickness of the folded-back tips makes it difficult to get anything out of my pockets - like money! - some would say nowts changed there lad! ;):rolleyes:

greenie62

Reaction score
I've tried the gloves with the Velcro fold back index finger and thumb , nothing wrong but I couldn't get on with them
Aye - the velcro gets caught in your sidies if you're chasing a bit of ear-wax :eek: - or in your 'tash if you're chasing a bogie! :eek::eek:mg:

bracket

Reaction score
Your all sounding like a load of wimps to me, just rub vasaline on the back of your hands and "grin and bear it" as my old Mum used say. Nothing was ever worthwhile without a little suffering. It highens the pleasure. Pete.

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Still too thick by the look of them windy, they're probably about as thin as you can get though... do you think its possible to turn a reel handle without the thumb getting in the way? not sure :(

Might buy two pairs, use one and take apart the other... see how theyre put together, might spark some ideas.... ;)

OOPs. Looks like the ones I posted are the same as Fruitowl's earlier post.... beat me to it.

terry m

Reaction score
I have been using the Trakker fingerless gloves with the fold over mitten and thumb part. For static type fishing they are great, but would be found wanting if trotting or similar.