New Daiwa Basiair Reel

Reaction score
Daiwa have just released a new Basiair reel with an RRP of £1000.

Any Daiwa fans thinking of buying one or three?

Or does Shimano suddenly look good value?

sam vimes

Reaction score
The closest equivalent Shimano big pit is the Aero Technium XT-B MGS. The catalogue RRP is £919.99, but it does also list an SSP of £764.99. It has been available for a year or two now so doesn't have the stupid new release factor to keep the selling price that bit higher than it could be. Finding them for £700 isn't too difficult and the dealers will do better for multiples, but won't necessarily advertise the fact.

The Daiwa is already available in the real world for just shy of £900. Once Christmas is out of the way, they aren't new releases, and there's enough stock in the country, the prices will drop further. I'd guess to around £50 more than the Shimanos. Then Shimano will make a new reel that just tops the new Daiwa, in some largely irrelevant way, and charge £50 more than Daiwa currently are.;):D

In this instance, I don't believe that defending Shimano, by pointing out Daiwa's pricing, really stands up to even minor scrutiny.

terry m

Reaction score
I am happy to spend serious money on high end tackle for a pastime that takes up a large portion of my spare time. Although shelling out ~£3K on a set of reels is too strong for me. However if others choose to buy them then I am OK with that too.

And, as the premise of the original post was to pit Daiwa vs Shimano, then I must confess that with the exception of the Daiwa Emblem spod reels, it is Shimano every time for me.

cg74

Reaction score
In this instance, I don't believe that defending Shimano, by pointing out Daiwa's pricing, really stands up to even minor scrutiny.

Mr C.Corker, your kickoff failed to make 10m, referee offers kick again or scrum, I opt for a scrum, now lets see if you can turnover possession...

Reaction score
What's with rugby references? Am I missing something?

Have you read something in my question that I'm not aware of?

A tackle shop posted on Facebook today about the new reels and asked the same question. Thought I'd pass it on, particularly as I wouldnt spend that on three reels, let alone one, whatever the brand.