Setup rods

sagalout

Reaction score
Do you keep your rods set up? Are they fully set up or partially? What do you find the advantages/disadvantages?

This season I have kept mine fully set up in drennan rod ready sleeves and at the end of a session I re-rig them ready for the next session. I carry two float rods, one with 0.8 gram drennan day glow and one with 2 gram drennan dayglow, and two ledger rods one with a straight lead and one with a method feeder.

The main disadvantage is that I tend to always fish the same set up ie float, feeder or lead. I should do more pellet waggler.

The big advantages are not having to see the fiddly bits in early morning poor light conditions and to be fishing within minutes of arrival.

I am wondering if I would benefit from leaving the line threaded through the rod and attach the end tackle on arrival?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to leave my rods just set up with the reel and inside a Preston Hardcase holdall, as that was I can easily change a spool and the terminal tackle for whatever the conditions of the day seem to require.

I can see the benefits of leaving the line through the rod rings though, especially in winter as it can be a pain with cold fingers, not to mention wearing glasses . . . . . . . . .

I also keep a fair few stick floats ready tied on winders to make life on the bank side little easier, so all it needs is to have the right [FONT=&quot]xxxx[/FONT] hook for the day/bait fitted and off we go.

Last edited:

mike47

Reaction score
I usually fish a float rod and a feeder at the same time. I keep my rods made up in the garage and just separate the sections laying them on the car back seat when making the short journey to the lake. I have clips whereby I can change float or feeder in quick time, but find making up a rod in the garage much easier than on the bank. My chum often takes +15 min to make his tackle up on the bank whilst I have been fishing almost straight away. Not saying my idea is the right one, just how I do it!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't use a hood on my bait, I think once it is in the water the wind won't affect it, a wet suit might make the bait more comfortable.

S'cuse my fat fingers on the keyboard, the problem with auto spelling is that is doesn't help if you mis-spell using a proper word . . . . gerrrrrrr

B

binka

My pike rods are always set up with float rigs and stored/transported broken down, it's just convenient really and they're fairly bomb proof so I don't have any worries about them clanking around on the stalking quiver I use.

Goes without saying that the short drop shot/ultra light spinning rod is always hung up and ready to go fully assembled for one or the other discipline and the longer, 10' medium weight spinning rod is usually fully assembled before a session and travels at its full length in the car.

The Hardys always travel broken down in their tubes minus the faffing with the cloth bags nowadays, I will occasionally just grab the loose sections if I'm being really minimal (and careful!) and the only ones I will set up in advance are the Specimen Avon as it's a bit sturdier than the others for transporting rigged but broken down, the Ultra Light Bomb is the other as it will just fit in my car at its full assembled length... I just have to put up with the irritation of the quivertip constantly quivering in the corner of my eye with every crack I drive over but it's sometimes quite welcome on the way home after a slow day just to remind me what a bite looks like.

I can see the benefit of assembled rods but don't mind doing it on the bank if need be.

sam vimes

Reaction score
From experience, I don't much like leaving lighter line gear set up, though I do sometimes leave my commercial float/feeder rods set up, but only if I know I'll be using it again inside a week or two (a very rare occurrence). I never leave my more usual river kit set up. I've too many different rods and reels that I like to rotate through, depending on what and where I'm going, for it to be practical. I also tend to use three piece rods and like to travel light. Leaving such gear set up is a right royal pain in the behind, as is lugging a suitable holdall to offer decent protection to it. I'm also prone to using centrepins which I prefer to clean after every use. I do usually leave full on carp set ups set up with just a line clip, QC swivel and tungsten tubing left on the line.

fruitowl

Reaction score
like mike47 I leave my rods set up I have a number of rods set up with different set ups i have made a rack in the utility room and so I choose the ones I want then put them in a shuttle holdall.
when I arrive at bank am fishing quickly and whilst I have a feeder in the water I can set up the rest of my stuff.

fruitowl

Reaction score
rack is nothing special 2 lengths of 3 x 2 screwed to the wall with 5 6 inch long hooks in each and 2 set up rods that are all folded at the joints I use some old shoe laces to hols the sections together and stop the rod sections getting tangled and have the reels at opposite ends so the don't clash.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Generally keep a 10'0 Maver float rod set up with an old Shimano Aero GT 2500. Dependent on venue, change float to stick or waggler before I set off. My usual float rod is a three piece so needs setting up on the bank.

C

chefster

Purely from a match fishing point of view,they can save you a fortune in time,having rods set-up,frees you to spend more time plumbing up,prepping bait and getting organised,before the start..from a pleasure fishing point of view,i cant see the point in them..as there is no pressure to get set-up,in a certain time,Gazza

C

chefster

It just makes my pleasure more pleasurable because I don't have to faff about in the dark and cold trying to rig up.
Fair enough,cold doesnt bother me,and i dont set up in the dark!If you like using them and they make you,re fishing more pleasurable thats good,Gaz

terry m

Reaction score
All 2 piece rods are kept set up and pretty much ready to use. The only exception is 3 piece float rods which get some use periodically.

law

Reaction score
Carp/pike/cat rods stay made up.
Anything else doesn't. I don't like the kinks left in the light line.