Non fishing essentials

Teabreak

Reaction score
What things do you take fishing with you that are not fishing gear but may need. I'm thinking on the lines of maybe first aid kit, spare,socks, towel if I fall in, change of clothes maybe. Stuff that you could keep in the car just in case.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I take a couple of towels, flask of coffee, sandwiches, cooking gear if I'm going for a full day, I never think to take and first aid or change of socks, that's something I ought to think about. I'll put together a small first aid kit to leave in the car.

sam vimes

Reaction score
For the bulk of my fishing, short sessions prowling a river, if I don't need it on the bank it doesn't come with me.

B

binka

This applies generally but more so for my fishing now that the tracks and lanes are cutting up for winter and getting a bit boggy... A spade along with a heavy duty bag of grit, the extra weight also helps with a bit more traction being rear wheel drive.

I always keep a supply of canned drinks in the boot and a bog roll which I've thankfully not had to use :eek:mg:

Tweezers are something I always have in my waistcoat, they don't see the light of day too often but great for picking up and threading hair stops.

Teabreak

Reaction score
Bog roll. Gonna be top of my list.

And tweezers a good idea for removing splinters or thorns.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
The nature of my fishing, ''lures'' requires everything is pared down to the minimum, which in turn increases mobility. However most would consider carrying a small first aid kit unnessesary , the truth is however that when your target fish''pike'', have a set of gnashers the envy of a vampire bat, and you're using treble hooks then it makes complete sense. There is some nasty infections bankside.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Where to start . . . . . . . .

Apart from the usual coffee flask, milk flask and food for the day I always have a half a roll of toilet paper in my ruckbag my small binoculars and a first aid kit, antiseptic wipes and a small towell for my hands.

In addition to my insulin kit and needles then I always have an unopened bag of jelly babies, in case of a "hypo", my mobile phone and spare socks and a couple of small bottles of spring water.

terry m

Reaction score
Like others, lavatory paper is omnipresent, and as I also target pike, a first aid kit is always there too.

I learnt my lesson when I was careless and a pike flipped whilst holding it, the resulting pike teeth across my fingers left some shocking cuts, and stemming the bleeding, whilst trying to keep it clean on a freezing cold damp day is nigh on impossible.

fruitowl

Reaction score
I don't take bog roll but always have a pack of baby wipes in the car I don't want my steering wheel smelling like a bait bucket.
I have had a box with tea bags sugar milk water mug and a small stove for places where I can park behind my peg nothing beats a fresh brew. :p

ken more

Reaction score
One of those pen like antiseptic sprays for my hands before i eat anything or need the toilet.

Teabreak

Reaction score
A good list of tips fellas. Food and drink is dependant on length of stay, but the other things mentioned are all handy to have around. Often when fishing you will be a long way from shops or help so I think it's best to be prepared. Gonna put paracetamol on my list as well, nothing worse than a thumping headache to ruin your day.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a van and find the gear I take has expanded to fill the space available. However, I also have angina so the gear I carry is cut down to the minimum. When I was a 3 or 4 times a week angler I used to work on the basis that if I had not used it for a month or so I didn't need it and would leave it in the van.
I ended up with a roving kit which consisted of a bag/seat (nash bum buddy) A rod and reel, a landing net and an extending rod rest. A clamshell box held all my end tackle and a small baitbox held enough pellets etc for the session. I had lightweight overtrousers and a poncho to finish the ensemble.

smudger172

Reaction score
Like most i always have a water proof bag with a first aid kit and a loo roll. I also take another invisible bag that is full of confidence and anticipation. It always helps...:)