River Lugg

pikepro1

Reaction score
Hi all, do any of you have any info regarding the BAA stretches on this river between Leominster and Hereford? I'm going past Leominster on Saturday and may get a couple of hours spare! Many thanks!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's an odd one, I've fished it near the confluence with the Wye and I've fished it just upstream of Leominster.

Above Leominster it's a trout stream while at the confluence it holds just about anything with fins, with the exception perhaps of bream.

If I was prospecting it for the first time at this time of the year my chosen bait would be bread, either mash and flake/crust or feeder fed liquidised bread and punch or flake on the hook. Having said that it could be in the fields and lob and chop could be the answer.

pikepro1

Reaction score
Thanks Titus. I'm hoping we don't get anymore rain this week! Looking at the EA river level reading its quite high at the moment!

jasonbean1

Reaction score
i fished it quite a bit a couple of years ago and if its high the further you go down the river the better chance you will have of catching, the barbel start to show mainly from hereford waters down. other than that hope for it being clear and low and rove with a stick float and maggot feeder and look for grayling and chub

good luck

pikepro1

Reaction score
Thanks Jason. What is the river like down there? High/low banks? etc Many thanks

jasonbean1

Reaction score
It's a small spate river, further you go down it looks more a lowland river. How ever looks are definitely deceiving......it takes some working out

pikepro1

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it, after fishing the Warks Avon a fair bit this year its going to be nice getting on to a small river!

theartist

Reaction score
I fished the top end BAA stretch last summer can't remember the name as i've misplaced the handbook but i think it was Dinmore. Parking was a bit iffy ie left on a narrow lane but i had no problems, the river itself however was unfishable on much of it due to high banks as i didn't have a super long landing net handle. Also heard story about some old fella who perished a few seasons back which i sincerly hope was not the case but the banks were a bit scoured out with a bit of a drop and no way to get down so be careful. Can imagine it pushes through quite a bit in winter. There was one access point on a shallow section where there i had a nice chub and a few trout but that was it.

Went further downstream to the other bit by the railway line (Moreton i think) which was much more accessable and fished better with a few chub, some nice grayling and loads of salmon parr. There was a few tetchy cows there mind.

pikepro1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think I will head further downstream to Moreton. Many thanks!

jasonbean1

Reaction score
totally agree with what the artist said, i fished the top stretch a couple of years ago.... that stretch of river was more like a war zone and much of it unfishable. also the locals are not very freindly when you park on there lane..they left me an abusive note on the windscreen.

definitely the bottom stretch if your going on baa water swims just before the split are good other than that theres one or two bushes to try under for chub on the straight or go upto the very first peg at the top its opposite the church, good un for trotting up to the shallows.

it will be hard work though, in all honesty much of the river is devoid of fish and you have to find them

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Double post.......Oops.

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I happen to know several of the locals above Leominster (one of the farmers is my daughter's Godfather) and if you park in a place where they struggle to get the tractor and trailer or a delivery lorry through you will be lucky to get away with a note. it's a bit like the wild west out there and I've heard of vehicles being towed with chains and in one instance lifted over the hedge with a front end loader and put in a field. Those lanes service working farms, and they need full access at all times.
Tbh the Lugg is hardly worth the effort above Leominster, between Kingsland and Presteigne many areas are completely devoid of fish, you might be better off with a day ticket at Docklow pools.

pikepro1

Reaction score
Would anyone know what state the river will be in currently? The EA river level monitoring station for Lugwardine is at 1.87 metres! Are the banks high enough to contain that or will it be in the fields? If I do fish I will make sure I am not blocking any access roads!!

jasonbean1

Reaction score
at those levels much of the river will be unfishable. the exception would be to fish below lugg bridge on the hereford water which would give you a good chance of barbel

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I fished the Lugg below Lugg Bridge on the meandering bit a couple of months back as our intended venue - the Wye - was unfishable. The Lugg levels were falling and there were areas of fishable water thanks to some acute bends. We originally had a day ticket booked on Wye via Wye and Usk Foundation but were able to switch it to Lugg at short notice. Not cheap but recommended if it is a one-off visit to the area. Incidentally, the Foundation ticket was for left bank, but the opposite bank seemed to have better access closer to water level with some nice looking "beaches" - whereas our side had mostly high steep banks.

This swim looked promising ....
chub_on_the_block-albums-fish-tank-picture3988-lugg.jpg

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That lower part of the river always looks so inviting, it is a fickle mistress though and a hard nut to crack.

pikepro1

Reaction score
Lovely looking swim that! I did consider the WUF beat. The catch reports for it on the website are very hit and miss! Plenty of dace and chub about but very few barbel being reported.

cg74

Reaction score
That lower part of the river always looks so inviting, it is a fickle mistress though and a hard nut to crack.

Yep, that's half the challenge from Lugg Bridge right through Lugwardine, it looks amazing but the reality is a lot of 'good' looking swims are fishless. But it teaches you what watercraft is.

Regards the water levels, the metering at Lugwardine seems to have a mind of its own, with the level appearing unchanged yet the river above the bridge at Lugwardine may have been dropping steadily for a few days.

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

Lovely looking swim that! I did consider the WUF beat. The catch reports for it on the website are very hit and miss! Plenty of dace and chub about but very few barbel being reported.

If you are referring to WUF stretch at Lugg Bridge, my advice is to fish off of the opposite bank (Hereford DAA), as accessibility to the river is far better and it's cheaper.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
as cg knows i have fond memories of the lugg, its possibly the hardest river ive fished simply because theres very few fish, but when you get a few its a cracking river to be on.

a few years ago on the last day of the season when we'd spent a week in hereford fishing the wye and lugg we'd opted for the last day on the lugg. we knew it would be hard work and i opted to walk upstream of lugg bridge and just spent the whole day walking miles with a stick rod and maggots. hadnt got a clue who's water i was fishing and blanked on nearly every swim until i got as far as i could and landed on a pocket of good grayling, cracking sport for an hour. then as the afternoon went on worked my way back down stream to lugg bridge and dropped in my last swim and managed for good chub and a big trout just as light faded. sat there thinking i couldnt have a had a better end to the season!

the following year i managed to catch a few barbel...highlight being a 10lb 4oz fish that cg weighed for me...

fancy it in march Colin?