British Waterways . . . .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently BW plan to build 50 wind turbines at 'unspecified locations' on their 2,200 miles of canals.

Personally speaking I find those things to be a form of sight pollution, and I'd not want to be sitting anywhere near one when fishing the canal.

Your thoughts?

wabbity

Reaction score
i agree they arte ugly, but they are a necessary evil, i think the fish will all clear off for a while until the noise becomes normal to them.

wabbit

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Wind turbines are amongst the most ugly sites one can see in the British countryside, power lines, gasworks etc are bad enough but even they become insignificant alongside a wind turbine.

We get no choice in the siting of these totally inefficient abominations and there are even idiots who say they are the power source of the future, god knows what make believe land those people live in.

We should rise up in protest, blow the ruddy things to smithereens I say.

lobworm

Reaction score
50 wind turbines in 2000+ miles of canal, thats about 1 every 40 miles or so!

Ishould thinkwe will still all be able to findswims that are not visually polluted!

F

Fred Bonney

We could get 4 well spaced,water cooled oil fired power stationsin those 2000miles couldn't we Peter!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Less damage to our visual sensativities, and warm water outflows for the fish.

Reaction score
Odd lot that BW. The job I was applying for disappeared off their website and the consultant never bothered to return my emails...I would have had at least one nuclear power station every 10 miles - the warm water would have kept the canals clear all year round...and think of the fish growth.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
50?

Should be enough to power a couple of light bulbs in the BW head office, and possibly charge the chairman's mobile........................... When it windy of course.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Maybe they'll be sited at lock gates and used to power them

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Personally I don't mind them and we have several locations near me that have them. I again personally do not find them ugly or offensive.

Far better than oil refineries, lpg plants and fossil fueled power stations. Less risk of a nasty explosion and less chance of pollution, perhaps some noise pollution

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
I, too, think the damned things are ugly and a waste of space.

Mind you, if you could get them to chew up a few of these 16m poles then they'd not be all bad news.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What a damned silly argument.

The most hideous hunks of metal that are at the moment contaminating our seas are offshore oil and gas rigs. What do they do, they bring to shore that evil black gunge, or even that horrid gaseous substance that smells like a million farts.

All to be burned to let off even more foul effluent.

I wonder if the people of 350 years ago objected to the windmills and the wind pumps especially that drained the fens like some people objects to the wind turbines of today.

Who knows, in 300 years hence they may regard wind turbines as works of art, just like we regards windmills today

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

What a damned silly argument.

The most hideous hunks of metal that are at the moment contaminating our seas are offshore oil and gas rigs. What do they do, they bring to shore that evil black gunge, or even that horrid gaseous substance that smells like a million farts.

All to be burned to let off even more foul effluent.</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

</blockquote>Do you think of this when you drive you,re car Ron;

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Often, and I wonder why H2 and hybrid cars were not available 50 years ago.

And my educated right foot enables me to burn less of the horrible stuff.