The guy in the next peg...

laguna

Reaction score
Assuming that both anglers are equally skilled and apply the same methods, bait and tactics.... why is it you that ends up paying for the beer?

(again) :D

C

chefster

Assuming that both anglers are equally skilled and apply the same methods, bait and tactics.... why is it you that ends up paying for the beer?

(again) :D
Cos he,s a better angler than you:D

bracket

Reaction score
It happened to me all the time. It's known as "The Luck of the Draw". Pete

rubio

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to develop a wider range of excuses!

law

Reaction score
70% of fishing is luck. And sometimes, nothing you can do will change that

tonybull

Reaction score
Feeding / Bait Presentation are the key if your both fishing similar pegs with similar set ups and bait :)

laguna

Reaction score
Well I know one thing; its pointless trying to nick his fish using the same bait!
I think both luck and feeding plays a big part too when talking about cruising shoals and opportunistic fish.

If they're right there in front of you in numbers then its anyone's guess as to who bags the most and every chance he could be buying the beers. :w But quite often you both end up fishing a likely looking spot and neither of you get a bite for ages so essentially your both feeding little and often and waiting, hoping, maybe casting around a bit to the left and right margins, far and near, essentially feeding several swims until you find the fish.
In this situation your only hope is to wait for a passing shoal to happen across your pile of goodies, the direction they approach will largely determine who catches first (all things being equal, bait, style of fishing, skill), unlucky you if your mate holds the shoal first because apart from snaffling the odd stray and solitary cruising fish it will be hard for you to muscle in and steal the show.

Clearly watercraft is important too, apart from having super power predictions and foresight or prior knowledge of a venue; I think its fair to say its pretty damn hard to determine which way the shoal will approach... the obvious gap between an island channel isn't always present on some venues and in vast open water.

Which begs the question, is it actually better to spread a crumb trail of feed or continually feed several swims at once?

Over to you...

---------- Post added at 01:00 ---------- Previous post was at 00:54 ----------

Ps Ive never fished a crumb trail before, I'm not even sure if there's such a tactic to be honest - just a mad thought! :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
This past week I suffered the 'guy in the next swim' syndrome....

He pitches up at 11am, decides to fish the next swim along from me and plonks his gear, with much noise, over a wide area. First off he brings out a tin, of what looked like sweetcorn, and dumps several large handfuls of the stuff into the water a rod length out. Tackle set up with two float rods he is ready to go after 20 mins. Out comes another container and in goes four orange sized balls of groundbait which made my float dance around for some time as the balls hit the water over several minutes....
Now this is a small lake where ground bait of any sort is rarely used, simply because, generally speaking, it is ineffective in large quantities, but it's his choice and who am I to say how he should fish................
One float rod was fished on the bottom (with 3" of float above the surface ) and the other was fished 2' deep or so some three rod lengths out, with maggots peppering the surface at every cast.
Fortunately my session was coming to an end so I never did see him catch anything in the hour or so we shared together, but as I walked to the car it did cross my mind;

Am I missing something.............................................................??

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
I've seen it before Tony where guys throw in barrowfull's where little and often should (in theory) be the order of the day but do they catch?
I suspect they do and I have witnessed it from time to time though it could well be the best tactic for catching big fish as opposed to little fish... I guess its what your fishing for? You would certainly over feed the silvers in a small lake pretty quickly for example but you know what those mud pigs are like.

Me, I'm happy catching numbers no matter what and will generally fish for them accordingly, little fish and a few decent ones thrown in are better than one lump any day... unless its a bonus big roach that graces my net! :D

No. What I mean by a bread crumb trail is to somehow present small quantities of bait out leading towards you like bicycle spokes into your "catch zone", and preferably well away from the guy in the next peg!

fruitowl

Reaction score
all jokes aside I was on a small commercial a couple years ago baiting just of a bed of lillies little and often an hour in and just started to get a few knocks when 2 (to be polite retired gentlemen) turn up on opposite bank and and start banging in bait ball after bait ball with no thought to anyone else they were spreading bait across the middle of the lake killed my swim gave it another hour hoping would improve.
at this point a guy turns up with a rod a chair and some bread sits 2 pegs down from me drops a line under a bush just in the edge and to my horror catches every other cast this put me off commercials wasn't a real fan in the first place.
the ignorance of the 2 guys is the part that put me off I can image the uproar if that had been the other way round:eek:mg: