My First Year!

mike47

Reaction score
Am coming to the end of my first year of coarse fishing and would like to share my enjoyment of that year with other enthusiasts. I fished as a lad on and off over the years, but got geared up over last Christmas and have fished solidly this year with an unexpected level of enjoyment, satisfaction and making of new friends (online and on the bank). I looked at my computer this week and counted the pictures I had taken of my better fish. Quite chuffed when I counted exactly 100 shots (of mainly carp). The biggest being a solid common of 9lb (not big among the carpers, but a monster for me that pulled me all over the place on light tackle). I am looking forward to more fun next year and improving on my technique and p.b. Merry Christmas and tight lines to all.....Mike.

Teabreak

Reaction score
Well you could of written that for me. Identical situation. Started back again with my own tackle, first fishing the river but than on to commercial fisheries. Wasn't too keen on the idea of commercial at first but once I got there the facilities of cafe, toilets easy parking and good advice got me hooked. Carp about the same size as you and the biggest I ever caught. My goal for next year is to fish the same place but try and avoid the carp and get some of the supposed nice roach and perch that are there. Also the tench but apparently they are extremely difficult to catch. As for photos, I lost all of mine in the cloud. Poxy tecnology.

MRWELL

Reaction score
Hi Mike.
We know each other off the now closed GF site,great to see you go from strength to strength and i know you will do much better in the new year,i know your thinking of taking up on the pole fishing side of our game,that will be better for you for presentation and don't worry about those big carp,poles can handle carp of over 20lb these days with ease.
To all those just starting out or returning to our sport,never be put off to ask questions if you are not sure about anything,mike asked a few and now he is doing great and that could apply to you as well,so if you don't ask you will never know and having many different ideas given is better than one that might not be correct for the water your fishing.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.
Stan.

theartist

Reaction score
Well done Mike, you do realize that each time you get a new Pb it's going to be great, then you'll have red letter days you could only dream about or catch monsters that dwarf your old records. You'll also have average days where you're just happy to get out and maybe see things in nature that are either wonderful or unbelievable.

All this awaits you every year and it's bloody brilliant at times.

Just make sure you let us know when you get your first double.

mike47

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. Glad you are enjoying things Teabreak. I agree wholeheartedly with your comment Artist as there's nothing better than first light on the lakeside on a beautiful morning as nature wakes up. Yesterday was typical as the carp were nowhere, but I had a great time on float winkling out some nice roach from the lily pads. Cheers all....Mike.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Well done Mike - glad to see enthusiasm for fishing , I've had a lot of fun with it.

denzinho

Reaction score
Yea please let us know when you get the double. Love scrapping with Carp there Brilliant fish when there up for it.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Smashing thread! Be sure to let us know when you get that double - with some pictures!

wes79

Reaction score
Well done Mike, enjoyed reading your post, I'm so glad I rekindled my passion for angling also much the same as yourself.

All the best to your season and next! :)