best winter method for any coarse fish and carp in winter

fishperch

Reaction score
the lake im planning to fish is a match lake and i went down there afew weeks back to have a look around and there were afew signs of fish. so what do you guys think the best method is out of float,maggot feeder,lead or method feeder ( i don't think i can method fish though as its no groundbait and I don't have enough money to get micro pellets) thanks guys tight lines

p.s ive never winter fished

C

chefster

When you say match lake,is it a snake lake or a bowl shaped with a lot of open water??..Gazza

C

chefster

A very good winter method for carp is a straight lead with hair-rigged bread discs,these are fished popped-up,,basically you just fish a single bait,with no feed,you can fish it to islands ,but its better fished in open water...On milder days it can pay to fish a feeder to the shallower water to the island.Maggot or worm on pole or float,with very little loose feed can also work,and it will catch a mixture of fish.without knowing the water or the fish stocking levels ,its hard to give any other info mate...Gazza:D

C

chefster

Thats only any good if youve got a pole that can reach the island in the middle of the lake with it..Gazza

fishperch

Reaction score
A very good winter method for carp is a straight lead with hair-rigged bread discs,these are fished popped-up,,basically you just fish a single bait,with no feed,you can fish it to islands ,but its better fished in open water...On milder days it can pay to fish a feeder to the shallower water to the island.Maggot or worm on pole or float,with very little loose feed can also work,and it will catch a mixture of fish.without knowing the water or the fish stocking levels ,its hard to give any other info mate...Gazza:D
thanks for ur help m8, yeah its a high stock lake and im informed it's almost impossible to blank. so is it a free running lead or fixed or does it not really matter

C

chefster

I prefer free running in winter as it offers less resistance,you can start with a 15 inch h/l and watch for liners to try and determine where the fish are,cast every 20 mins,unless getting bites quicker,i you dont get bites you can try a longer h/l.....To be honest,if its high stock density,a simple approach with maggot or 4mm expander and feeding micros with float tackle might be better..i am presuming you dont own a pole,as preferably that would be the best approach..If its a new water and you cant get any info to help,with baits,methods,prefered swims etc,then it will be trial and error,good luck though,Gazza

fishperch

Reaction score
I prefer free running in winter as it offers less resistance,you can start with a 15 inch h/l and watch for liners to try and determine where the fish are,cast every 20 mins,unless getting bites quicker,i you dont get bites you can try a longer h/l.....To be honest,if its high stock density,a simple approach with maggot or 4mm expander and feeding micros with float tackle might be better..i am presuming you dont own a pole,as preferably that would be the best approach..If its a new water and you cant get any info to help,with baits,methods,prefered swims etc,then it will be trial and error,good luck though,Gazza
thanks it will b a rod as i get very tired hands so wont ever b able to hold a pole :D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If its a small lake with an island and you don't like a pole its sounds ideal for ordinary float fishing. If its deep in the open water, maybe a slider float if you want to fish that. Or possibly its casterable with a heavier float to the island or even better; a scrap of a float in the margins.
Sweetcorn is a cheap bait, not thought of as a winter bait but, if the fish are feeding they will take it. Or try making up some cheap home made pastes. Salmon paste from Morrisons are only 48p each. Mix it with some flour into a stiff paste and float fish just on the bottom. I have found this to carps liking on some commercials. Shrimp, beef, chicken, tuna etc, a wide variety of choices, give a couple a try and see what they like. cheaper than maggots or pellets.
Pastes like these carry enough scent on a small water to attract fish without having to ground bait and you should strike off enough of it anyway to attract fish to the area your fishing.

Last edited: