what defines a "silver fish"

fishperch

Reaction score
ok so the matches require a separate keepnet for silver fish nd a different one for carp, so where do perch and tench go? corect me if im wrong but silver fish r cruician carp, roach, rudd etc

sam vimes

Reaction score
It depends on the match/fishery concerned. It seems that the most common definition for many commercial/match fisheries is that silver fish are anything other than carp.

David Dalton

Reaction score
Out of interest, where did this term "silver fish" originate? It seemed to come out of nowhere and then become very widespread.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Out of interest, where did this term "silver fish" originate? It seemed to come out of nowhere and then become very widespread.

I remember using the word silvers, meaning roach, rudd, bream (usually skimmers) and dace, thirty years back. Where or when it started being used the way it is now, I've no idea.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Don't recall the word ' silvers ' until relatively recent times...From my youth the only word I remember being used regularly was ' Goer's ' and that applied to ALL fish for weigh-in during club matches...
Min. sizes : 8" for roach, 7" for dace, 12" for bream etc etc., so, for example, if you caught a 9" roach it was good for weighing..

Silvers ? no, I don't ever remember hearing the word in my neck of the woods

laguna

Reaction score
I seem to remember Mark Wintle saying it originated in the 70's around Birmingham and the Black Country by canal anglers to denote 'roach and tiddlers'. Its pretty much synonymous these days to mean all small 'silver' fish like roach, rudd, dace etc.

Or Water-sheep as Izaak would call them referring to the roaches, not to be confused of course with the *astard breed of Roach meaning rudd.
The Compleat Angler, by Izaak Walton

robertroach

Reaction score
I always think it's a bit of an insult to roach, rudd etc. to call them all silverfish. I would rather catch them than carp any day. Is it a term carp anglers use for anything other than carp and therefore unimportant?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I always think it's a bit of an insult to roach, rudd etc. to call them all silverfish. I would rather catch them than carp any day. Is it a term carp anglers use for anything other than carp and therefore unimportant?

I don't think so. I seem to remember it coming from the match angling world and wasn't meant as a term of derision but as a way of defining the target species or catch.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The term came about on two types of venues; the canals where the match anglers were fishing for gudgeon and ruffe or 'silver fish' ie roach and small skimmers, and on waters like the Nene where the choice was eels, bream or silver fish again ie roach, silver bream, skimmers. I'm not a fan of the term especially as it has got so confused.

rich4930

Reaction score
In Germany they're called Weissfische (won't insult anybody's intelligence by offering a translation) and it's an everyday word, nothing to do with fishing. But even in German, I've never really understood where the boundary is, tench being a very good example. I expect the origin of silver fish is similar, although I must admit it's not a term I remember from my fishing days back in the 80s/90s. The only silverfish I remember was a very cool grunge/indie band, from Scotland ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what an F1 is. Seen it used a lot but have no idea :confused:

An F1 is a cross between a crucian and a (king) carp. F1 hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia F1 is a hybridisation term that can apply to any species.

They look like a standard carp but don't have the four barbules of a (king) carp. Match/commercial fisheries quite like them as they tend not to grow too big (5lb or so). They also seem to feed well in colder temperatures

MRWELL

Reaction score
Yes a Hybrid of a Crucian and Common carp,hardy fish and never grow to a great size,they don't breed (so i am told) so you can control the amount you have much more and more to the match Anglers way.

Stan

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
First F1s i ever saw in the mid 1980s were in water famed for its true crucians (Witley Park) where there were also a few old Leney-type commons. F1s are everywhere now. As much a threat to true crucian populations as the brown goldfish and their associated hybrids are. Give me true crucians or true carp any day.

laguna

Reaction score
I was given to understand that a few triploided F1's actually do end up fertile but are very very rare... rarer than a hen with nashers being **** on by a bird in a cuckoo clock. I also heard some talk a few years ago about F2s (second generation hybrids), not sure if these exist but I would imagine they would only be from natural spawning... :confused:

fishperch

Reaction score
so if i catch perch or tench, do they go in the silver fish keepnet or the carp

sam vimes

Reaction score
so if i catch perch or tench, do they go in the silver fish keepnet or the carp

It's dependant on the rules of the individual fishery concerned. However, most of the fisheries I've enountered, regardless of the logic of it, deem everything other than carp to be silvers.

fishperch

Reaction score
It's dependant on the rules of the individual fishery concerned. However, most of the fisheries I've enountered, regardless of the logic of it, deem everything other than carp to be silvers.
okk thank you

robertroach

Reaction score
Just to avoid confusion, all fish should be called by their proper names except for all the different types of carp which should be called "brownfish" (from the German "braunfisch").