Most depressing reading

john step

Reaction score
I don't very often buy an angling weekly but I did buy the double Christmas Anglers mail.
In the back page "story" section this chap says he waded out in a French lake to position rig and bait and realised that the hot spots were in his words 3 or 4 foot deep mounds of dropped leads. He drops 50 in a fortnight and says others do the same.
Even allowing for the possibility of exaggeration it just is beyond belief. He says he never fishes in the UK...good.

The bad one

Reaction score
Did they not give a list of French Scrapmen John... could prove to be a lucrative partnership link up there!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
So now they'll realise that stone is cheaper than lead, and home-made bait-boats, made from wheel-barrows, will be deployed to the delight of carp and anglers alike, until someone realises that the lake is now a sheet of damp shingle punctuated by squads of gulls picking over carp carcases.

Palaeontologists and geologists of the distant future are going to struggle enough to work out what gravel pits and landfill sites were, but these little lead-rich inclusions of the O.P. will drive them dotty.

Where's my scuba kit?

law

Reaction score
3-4ft pile of leads?
Sorry, but thats unbelievable. Firstly, not every lead drops on the take. Secondly, youd have to be the most accurate caster in the world to hit precisley the same spot each time. Even hitting the clip a tad hard will put your rig a few feet out and thirdly, does anyone realise how many leads that would take? If a lead is half inch thick, that would take 72 leads in a tower to make it 3ft tall. Fag box maths (its early...this might be wrong) but that wouod make 3850 leads to make a triangle pile thats 72 tall. But ONLY 2d. A pyramid, would be over 10,000 I think.
Im a tad hungover and cant fully see straight yet, so I appologise if thats wrong!

lambert1

Reaction score
I think you are plumbing the depths there Clive. Sorry could not resist that:wh

greenie62

Reaction score
Did they not give a list of French Scrapmen John... could prove to be a lucrative partnership link up there!

How d'ya think Nicepix supplements his pension fund - avec son ami Jonny Le Scrappie - you didn't really believe it was mole-catching didya? ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Forty years on, I am still using 1- to 3-ounce home-cast pear bombs made from the hundredweights of mostly 1/4 to 1 ounce bored lead bullets that a pal and I collected from one very heavily baitfished (for salmon and sea-trout) stretch of a notable Welsh river every time there was a "bare bones" summer drought and the river beds were there for the picking and raking. None of that sort of fishing is allowed on the piece now, I understand; not on account of all the lost lead, but because the water attracted the most terrible rod-and-line fishmongers, one of whom had 19 salmon one September day (saw him do it, I had 7 myself on that 1974 day, a day when a huge run of fish hit the river). The things we used to do....

Cue Lou Reed's 'Hangin' Round' - "You're still doing things that I gave up years ago".

john step

Reaction score
As I said in my original post "allowing for exageration". Even so what a thing to write just to get your name into print. The readers are either taken for fools or the anglers are so rich they can afford to to spend large sums on leads and to hell with the environment. What a state of affairs. More than ever I am convinced these places are not for me.

flightliner

Reaction score
In a similar vain I always used to think just how many paternoster leads were lost in the river Witham over the many years it was lined with match anglers-- me being one in my younger days, losing a lead or two was common enough but times that by the sheer number of guys who trod those banks over the years would I reckon make somebody a tidy sum if they were all to be collected and sold as scrap.
If what the op said is true I wouldnt be wading out to place a bait I would be out scooping up the lost leads cos from what I see guys are paying a quid a pop--- sod the carp!!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier this year that a chap I know metal detects the river Severn at Bridgnorth and and over the last few years has recovered more than 10,000 leads and feeders which collect in a couple of places after a flood. Some of them have clearly been in the water for years but others are fairly recent losses.
He sells the better ones on the boot sale and the rest he weighs in for scrap. The proceeds pay for upgrades to his equipment.